GDT: Sharks @ Kings 7:00pm Game 2 of the Balcers era

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Fair point, but it's still concerning to see teams like Detroit and Ottawa with more ROW than us a fifth of the way through the season. The wins they do have are by barely hanging on, mostly against teams that are basement dwellers or bubble teams.
Detroit and Ott don't play in the west. With any luck the Sharks would have won a couple of these in regulation or overtime. A lot of this stuff evens out over the course of the season as far as bounces. We'll have to see which way it goes for this team. Lets be real here, one of their best games was beating St Louis in a shootout. They could have easily won that one in regulation with any amount of good luck. The Sharks were the better team in a couple they lost and clearly outplayed the other team in a couple that went to a shoot out. I can't explain their shitty 2nds but other than that they are playing better now IMO than the first 2 weeks of the season. To me they're trending the right way. They still look to me like a team that will take one of the playoff spots. They're doing all this without a legit NHL PP. They get that thing working at all and they immediately increase their odds of winning games. I notice no ones complaining about whoever runs the PP now... At least Spott could get the team in the O zone and set up every once in a while.:laugh:

All this talk about how great the Avs are... in 11 games they have 15 points, Sharks are only 4 back of them with 11 points in 11 games. If the Sharks win their 2 games in hand on St Louis they'll be on almost the exact same pace the Blues are. This division is incredibly tight right now. Sharks are keeping it close so far.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Point is correct in comparing a rebuild team flush with prospects to an aging team. Kings will be good again in a few years. Don't lump in Ferraro with those other two, Ferraro has been good to great most games this season, kid has potential.

Gregor shouldn't have been there, but I could see Knyzhov being a top-4 defenseman in three years. He's not playing dissimilar to Ferraro last year (though of course, Ferraro was a fair bit younger).

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Detroit and Ott don't play in the west. With any luck the Sharks would have won a couple of these in regulation or overtime. A lot of this stuff evens out over the course of the season as far as bounces. We'll have to see which way it goes for this team. Lets be real here, one of their best games was beating St Louis in a shootout. They could have easily won that one in regulation with any amount of good luck. The Sharks were the better team in a couple they lost and clearly outplayed the other team in a couple that went to a shoot out. I can't explain their shitty 2nds but other than that they are playing better now IMO than the first 2 weeks of the season. To me they're trending the right way. They still look to me like a team that will take one of the playoff spots. They're doing all this without a legit NHL PP. They get that thing working at all and they immediately increase their odds of winning games. I notice no ones complaining about whoever runs the PP now... At least Spott could get the team in the O zone and set up every once in a while.:laugh:

All this talk about how great the Avs are... in 11 games they have 15 points, Sharks are only 4 back of them with 11 points in 11 games. If the Sharks win their 2 games in hand on St Louis they'll be on almost the exact same pace the Blues are. This division is incredibly tight right now. Sharks are keeping it close so far.

This very much! I don't even have to write anything, because you said it all.
Especially about PP (being 1g/29PP) I mean think about the damage Sharks could have done with like 8-11g/29PP.
Even they figure out PP for good, I think we are playoff bound.

PS. I know there is VGK, COL and STL, but seeing Vegas playing close game with Anaheim, gives me that much hope against them atleast.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Fair point, but it's still concerning to see teams like Detroit and Ottawa with more ROW than us a fifth of the way through the season. The wins they do have are by barely hanging on, mostly against teams that are basement dwellers or bubble teams.

great points, but if the team's objective is to make the playoffs, wins are wins. and with the assumption that not all teams will play 56 games forcing the league to determine standings by points%, then SO vs ROW wins wont matter. It will be wild if any teams are directly tied in points% to force a tiebreaker.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
great points, but if the team's objective is to make the playoffs, wins are wins. and with the assumption that not all teams will play 56 games forcing the league to determine standings by points%, then SO vs ROW wins wont matter. It will be wild if any teams are directly tied in points% to force a tiebreaker.
I was looking at that too. Apparently the NHL only recently added the win % column to their stats. They're going to have to set a minimum games played too. If a team like Vegas misses too many games because they can't get their shit together, they shouldn't be eligible no matter what their win % is.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I was looking at that too. Apparently the NHL only recently added the win % column to their stats. They're going to have to set a minimum games played too. If a team like Vegas misses too many games because they can't get their shit together, they shouldn't be eligible no matter what their win % is.

I honestly think the NHL would look at which markets would miss the playoffs over something like that before making a decision like would be made. What should have happened is the NHL should have put a maximum on th amount of games a team can have postponed due to covid before being forced to forfeit before the season began. Preferably 0.

While points are points, how we get points matters for our long term outlook too. As great as we have been in shootouts, that kind of luck can't continue. We need to get better results in regulation or those points could easily stop coming.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Don't worry. The B1G will change the rules to let them in... oh wait sorry wrong sport.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
imagine when the time comes that all these shootout wins are the difference in the sharks drafting 1st overall and 10th. :help:
That would be concerning. Hopefully they draft at least 16th or beyond (with their own pick).
Most here seem more concerned with the way they’re picking up points instead of enjoying the fact they’re picking up points in a majority of their road games. I’d be more concerned if they had the overall record those teams do.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They added that last week in Friday news dump fashion.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Order of which I would prefer my team to preform.
  1. Win cup
  2. Compete for cup. (win 1+ rounds of playoffs)
  3. Tank for high draft picks.
  4. First round playoff exit
  5. Bad team but not horrible. (11-14th in conference)
  6. Miss playoffs by a couple points. (9-10th in conference)
I might be alone here, but I would prefer the team to tank for a couple years and get some star prospect players rather than barely squeak into the playoffs only to lose 1st round, or miss the POs by a couple points.

IMO mediocrity play now will get us mediocre draft picks, which will keep us being a mediocre team. If your team does not have a legitimate chance to win the cup, you should be rebuilding. The exception to this being you have young talent/stars that are getting experience and improving and the team is on a trajectory to compete for the cup within a few years.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

They will just use RW/GP and then ROW/GP as the tiebreakers.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Because he can't follow the play at all. He has zero hockey sense

I thought Jones played a decent game, better than the .889SV% tells. One goal was on the power play, and the other two goals came about because defensemen made poor choices. Burns let Kopitar get behind him to score on a break away. Karlsson gave up on Bjornot (sp?) and let him turn the corner and go unchallenged behind the net which he took maximum advantage up setting up the IQ challenged Brown to score.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That would be concerning. Hopefully they draft at least 16th or beyond (with their own pick).

Most here seem more concerned with the way they’re picking up points instead of enjoying the fact they’re picking up points in a majority of their road games. I’d be more concerned if they had the overall record those teams do.

The reason why it's concerning isn't a matter of talent level nor their place in the standings. It's concerning because it's a consistent effort issue where they keep shooting themselves in the dick. There's only two or three games so far where they haven't been outright bad in the 2nd period. And their sort of bad isn't just being outmatched by the other team. It's that they don't try that hard or do stupid or lazy things and in the process, they get walked. They've played enough to know this and even talk about it publicly yet they still do it.

Reactions: NWSharkie

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The reason why it's concerning isn't a matter of talent level nor their place in the standings. It's concerning because it's a consistent effort issue where they keep shooting themselves in the dick. There's only two or three games so far where they haven't been outright bad in the 2nd period. And their sort of bad isn't just being outmatched by the other team. It's that they don't try that hard or do stupid or lazy things and in the process, they get walked. They've played enough to know this and even talk about it publicly yet they still do it.
That stuff is correctable, at the very least.

They do need to figure that 2nd period out. They have that ‘here we go again’ vibe any time something bad happens.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

They do need to figure that 2nd period out. They have that ‘here we go again’ vibe any time something bad happens.

It is but it should've been corrected before these past three games. If anything, it's been exacerbated.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
does he have ADD?

He does have that distracted stare when he's on the bench. :sarcasm:

IMO his mentality seems to be more "defend the man" vs "defend the net". So, when he sees the shot coming, his instincts kick in to block it. But, when he can't see or if things are going too fast to process, he doesn't seem to have the feel for when the net is vulnerable.

On that third goal, it wasn't exactly his fault because Simek left the back door undefended. But, Jones had tunnel vision watching what the puck handler was doing. Even as the puck went behind the net, Jones didn't seem to realize he needed to quickly move to the other post.

Anyway, all hail Shootout King! I hope SK makes the All Star roster on his post-regulation heroics and then the Kraken select him in the offseason.

Reactions: Alwalys

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I thought Jones played a decent game, better than the .889SV% tells. One goal was on the power play, and the other two goals came about because defensemen made poor choices. Burns let Kopitar get behind him to score on a break away. Karlsson gave up on Bjornot (sp?) and let him turn the corner and go unchallenged behind the net which he took maximum advantage up setting up the IQ challenged Brown to score.
That brown goal was entirely stoppable and wasn't a bad play by ek

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

remember when the Sharks lost twice to Colorado by a score of 10-3?

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Stretching back to PDB, that 2nd period has been a bit wild. Maybe the analytics guys need to rethink the line change/matchup strategy for the 2nd.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Order of which I would prefer my team to preform.
  1. Win cup
  2. Compete for cup. (win 1+ rounds of playoffs)
  3. Tank for high draft picks.
  4. First round playoff exit
  5. Bad team but not horrible. (11-14th in conference)
  6. Miss playoffs by a couple points. (9-10th in conference)
I might be alone here, but I would prefer the team to tank for a couple years and get some star prospect players rather than barely squeak into the playoffs only to lose 1st round, or miss the POs by a couple points.

IMO mediocrity play now will get us mediocre draft picks, which will keep us being a mediocre team. If your team does not have a legitimate chance to win the cup, you should be rebuilding. The exception to this being you have young talent/stars that are getting experience and improving and the team is on a trajectory to compete for the cup within a few years.

#3... Tanking guarantees nothing but lost revenue from a reduced fan base. Also, DW has said they won't do that type of full rebuild.

DW has in the past traded mediocre trade players and picks for far better players. Doesn't mean it's a guarantee to happen again but counting on high picks to save the franchise carries a lot of risk in and of itself too.

remember when the Sharks lost twice to Colorado by a score of 10-3?
And that matters how? They were never going to challenge Co IMO and I never said they would. I actually said I would be surprised if they even take a point in any game against the Avs this season. So yea... not sure what your point is. No one is saying they're challenging for the division title man.
They added that last week in Friday news dump fashion.
Yeah I think Randy mentioned it or I wouldn't have known it was a new development.
Don't worry. The B1G will change the rules to let them in... oh wait sorry wrong sport.
No idea what that references...?
I honestly think the NHL would look at which markets would miss the playoffs over something like that before making a decision like would be made. What should have happened is the NHL should have put a maximum on th amount of games a team can have postponed due to covid before being forced to forfeit before the season began. Preferably 0.

While points are points, how we get points matters for our long term outlook too. As great as we have been in shootouts, that kind of luck can't continue. We need to get better results in regulation or those points could easily stop coming.
Agreed that they should have pre established how the standing would work out if teams miss a ton of games or play different numbers of games. Maybe there will be a play in round like last season.

Obviously they can't expect to only win in shoot outs. My opinion which has been stated over and over is that a higher level of consistency and execution is still coming. They haven't played their best hockey yet. So far they've been lucky to have more than 2 or 3 of their top players going at once. Most are showing signs of getting up to speed though. Meier and Hertl have both taken strides and Couture, Donato, Kane and to a certain degree Labanc are kind of carrying the forward group as far as producing chances. I don't know about Coutures advanced stats but he's got 10 points in 11 games. Evander has 9 in 11. Donato has 7 and he was almost an after thought 3rd liner prior to the season. Donato on a 50 point pace right now (based on 82 game season). That's great production on a team that has a non existent PP. Any of these other guys (including EK65) start to produce and they'll start winning more games in regulation. There is another gear that this team has played at yet as far as offense and frankly defense.

As far as BB lineup decisions... Other than continuing to play Jones, which has actually worked in many cases due to his lightfoot performances in the Shoot out, he's done most of what I personally wanted. Simek is with EK65 and that has helped at least fix the EK65 pairing and they aren't bleeding goals. Vlasic has been limited to 3rd pair and PK minutes and is probably being carried by Knyzhov which helps. And the you have Burns and Ferraro who can act as a shut down pair while still allowing Burns to put up 7 points in 11 games so far. Again with no PP production. This is pretty much exactly what I expected and what I was hoping for. They tread water until everyone finds their game and learns how to apply their game within the system. Now if they can fix the 2nd period let downs they might actually challenge for the 3rd spot and not just the 4th spot.
That brown goal was entirely stoppable and wasn't a bad play by ek
I think that was mostly Simek fault but Jones definitely takes some blame there. EK65 did exactly what you hope a d-man does. One of the rare times where I thought EK65 actually looked like he was doing the right thing in a one on one defensive situation. Drove him wide and behind the net and didn't let him feed it in from on the rush side. He's not supposed to chase the guy behind the net at that point. He's supposed to go net front and Simek was supposed to pick up Brown coming in behind. They'l watch film of that and I bet Simek doesn't mess that up again.

Also Balcers has done a whole lot of nothing. Not to degrade our savior.

I'm fine being patient with him. He's starting from scratch with the system and the players. Think about how TDL acquisitions struggle at first typically. I mean except Kane. He was liberated. So far Balcers hasn't hurt the team and his positioning in the offensive zone has been right there for some near great opportunities. Once he gets to move up in the line up I think the dam breaks for him.

Last edited:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
#3... Tanking guarantees nothing but lost revenue from a reduced fan base. Also, DW has said they won't do that type of full rebuild.

Looked around, could not find any data supporting this argument for all the teams currently or recently tanking/rebuilding. Everything I saw shows revenue and even gate receipts increasing or staying even at worst. Not even attendance took any noticeable dip among the rebuilding/bad teams I looked at.

Even the currently rebuilding California teams have no lost revenue, in fact the year before Covid both those teams had their highest revenue in roughly 20 years of data shown.

So where are you getting this opinion from? Actual data or are you just sorta assuming this is true?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I was talking with a co-worker today about how we suck and he was looking for a silver lining to the sucky years and he concluded that since we were bad, it would probably mean that tickets would be cheaper again. He thought it would be better bang for your buck to see a bad team be bad to meh than be outpriced of watching a competitive team during the regular season. I generally agreed with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad