GDT: Sharks @ Kings 7:00pm Game 2 of the Balcers era

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This team needs to practice shooting. Shooting in tight spaces, releasing quickly, shooting from a knee.
The passes are there, it's just everything gets blocked because they're so slow. Timo has looked better shooting-wise the past two games and even had a great shot in OT. Need more of that.

Reactions: nabbyfan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
In some ways this start seems like the start last season, except with some luck going the Sharks's way.
There were a couple long winning and losing streaks iirc. This team seems to just want to hang around, get it to OT and go from there. I wonder how much of that is the difference in coaches.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No, but living the way they have will cause you to have more sore and tired days than if they were sleeping in their own beds and actually spending time with their families.

I mean, what are we arguing really? This team isn’t elite. We knew that coming in. But they are hanging around in the standings after having played just about half their road schedule. Let’s let them get a few home games in before we bury them around here.

We're arguing how likely playing at home really changes anything. They got to go home already so we can't let them off the hook for their play at this point in what is being criticized. They're not an elite team but one row in 11 games is bad. There's no way around that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
We're arguing how likely playing at home really changes anything. They got to go home already so we can't let them off the hook for their play at this point in what is being criticized. They're not an elite team but one row in 11 games is bad. There's no way around that.
They made a pit stop home and didn’t play any games.

Luckily for them they get the points for sow’s regardless of if they’re good or not. Hopefully the points end up meaning something later.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They made a pit stop home and didn’t play any games.

Luckily for them they get the points for sow’s regardless of if they’re good or not. Hopefully the points end up meaning something later.

They got almost a week at home. It was a needed break for sure but the road isn't an excuse for these efforts and mistakes against the Kings and Ducks.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Well what’s the point of watching a team that sucks when they haven’t even played a home game yet?

To be .500 points wise right now regardless of the system is huge. In my mind a .500 12-game road trip to start the season isn’t terrible regardless of the underlying data.

I just think it’s rather unfair to say this team is bad when they have been living out of hotels for the last 2 months.

I watch the games because I enjoy hockey, the Sharks, and some of the players. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are, they are my favorite team, and it is still hockey so I enjoy watching it. Just like if we did indeed rebuild and sucked real bad.

I am glad 500 is good enough to you. I never said it could not be good enough for you. All I, flippantly mind you, said was that LA is better and that I bet their fans were saying the same thing we were "Just beat them, its the Sharks". Sorry that seems to have you so offended.

If you think I am being unfair that is fine, we can have different opinions. While yes they are on the road so far, and I am sure that has some effect, they have barely traveled, already had a week off, and only have to travel once every 2 or so games. So while it sucks they are not home, and I am sure that affects them mentally, some probably more than others, I am sorry if I am not willing to accept that as a good enough reason for their terrible play. Especially when this situation was not present last year, and they still sucked.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I watch the games because I enjoy hockey, the Sharks, and some of the players. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are, they are my favorite team, and it is still hockey so I enjoy watching it. Just like if we did indeed rebuild and sucked real bad.

I am glad 500 is good enough to you. I never said it could not be good enough for you. All I, flippantly mind you, said was that LA is better and that I bet their fans were saying the same thing we were "Just beat them, its the Sharks". Sorry that seems to have you so offended.

If you think I am being unfair that is fine, we can have different opinions. While yes they are on the road so far, and I am sure that has some effect, they have barely traveled, already had a week off, and only have to travel once every 2 or so games. So while it sucks they are not home, and I am sure that affects them mentally, some probably more than others, I am sorry if I am not willing to accept that as a good enough reason for their terrible play. Especially when this situation was not present last year, and they still sucked.
I’m not offended by anything. If my tone appears that way it’s not by intent.

I never said .500 itself is good enough. Being .500 after 11 games on the road isn’t terrible, especially considering the room for improvement in their play. I believe that will come with more practices at the friendly confines.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I’m not offended by anything. If my tone appears that way it’s not by intent.

I never said .500 itself is good enough. Being .500 after 11 games on the road isn’t terrible, especially considering the room for improvement in their play. I believe that will come with more practices at the friendly confines.

Ok well I am glad you are not offended, it did seem that way a little bit, but Ill take your word for it.

The only concern moving forward with your hope is that unfortunately our schedule is actually going to get a lot tougher, at least in terms of time off to actually practice, or spend time resting the body. After we get through a soft February, literally every weekend for the rest of the season we have back to backs, and almost every week besides like two, we also have 2 games during the week. In other words, there will be almost zero days off for the rest of the season starting in March. If fatigue, lack of practice etc, is an issue now, its going to get a lot worse

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The breakout has definitely improved since their time in San Jose. That's been the biggest thing i've noticed.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Kings are outright rebuilding yet can hang with the Sharks. Three years from now, half their current team, players like Kempe, Vilardi, Roy, Grundstrom, etc. are going to be dangerous, not to mention the other putative high-end prospects LA has in the farm system. Who on the current Sharks can you say the same about? Maybe Knyzhov, Gregor, Ferraro...

Reactions: Shark Finn

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
No, but living the way they have will cause you to have more sore and tired days than if they were sleeping in their own beds and actually spending time with their families.

I mean, what are we arguing really? This team isn’t elite. We knew that coming in. But they are hanging around in the standings after having played just about half their road schedule. Let’s let them get a few home games in before we bury them around here.
Obviously you and I are part of a very small club here that thinks this way. The rest have no interest in waiting to prematurely bury this team.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
imagine when the time comes that all these shootout wins are the difference in the sharks drafting 1st overall and 10th. :help:

Reactions: Friday

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
But it doesn't bode well for a team that wants to make the playoffs, seeing as shootouts literally don't matter at that point.
You just can't make that claim at this point. They're picking up points in games on the road. What has probably almost every sharks coach said since the beginning of the franchise? What most NHL coaches say...? Win at home and go at least .500 on the road. Sharks are .500 on the road after playing a large portion of their road games. Pretty soon they're going to get last change, the matchups they want, Face off advance, etc, etc... I'm curious how this team looks when BB gets to match Burns and Ferraro against the other teams best players for the duration. I'm betting it'll matter. 5 Points in the last 3 games, 40 shots on goal, top 6 looked good, Patty looks like he's 30 not 40, PK is near the top of the league again... I dunno, I still see this as a team who hasn't played their best games yet.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
The Kings are outright rebuilding yet can hang with the Sharks. Three years from now, half their current team, players like Kempe, Vilardi, Roy, Grundstrom, etc. are going to be dangerous, not to mention the other putative high-end prospects LA has in the farm system. Who on the current Sharks can you say the same about? Maybe Knyzhov, Gregor, Ferraro...
Point is correct in comparing a rebuild team flush with prospects to an aging team. Kings will be good again in a few years. Don't lump in Ferraro with those other two, Ferraro has been good to great most games this season, kid has potential.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
You just can't make that claim at this point. They're picking up points in games on the road. What has probably almost every sharks coach said since the beginning of the franchise? What most NHL coaches say...? Win at home and go at least .500 on the road. Sharks are .500 on the road after playing a large portion of their road games. Pretty soon they're going to get last change, the matchups they want, Face off advance, etc, etc... I'm curious how this team looks when BB gets to match Burns and Ferraro against the other teams best players for the duration. I'm betting it'll matter. 5 Points in the last 3 games, 40 shots on goal, top 6 looked good, Patty looks like he's 30 not 40, PK is near the top of the league again... I dunno, I still see this as a team who hasn't played their best games yet.
Fair point, but it's still concerning to see teams like Detroit and Ottawa with more ROW than us a fifth of the way through the season. The wins they do have are by barely hanging on, mostly against teams that are basement dwellers or bubble teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad