Post-Game Talk: Sharks Hurt Spaling, Sparks and Bernier's Starts. (Leafs lose 5-4 in OT).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
giphy.gif

This is an incredibly overused .gif IMO but in this case, it fits very well!

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Sparks is out long term? What a circus with our goalies. Every combination possible. All thats left is to call up the zamboni driver

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Yeah, didn't mean to only single out only Kadri, but I was not impressed by that play to say the least. Leafs were outclassed in the OT. I feel bad for Bernier. :(

Why would you feel bad for a guy that single handily lost his team games pretty much every game for how long now? And he certainly didn't "steal" a single point tonight. If anything, Bernier should be grateful that the team still employees him and he isn't riding the bus around the AHL or sitting on the waiver wire.

Insane how quick people are to dangle a .89 performance as proof he isn't a seive :shakehead

Sorry but it's going to take at least 1 game over .900 before I remotely think "he's back".

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Why would you feel bad for a guy that single handily lost his team games pretty much every game for how long now? And he certainly didn't "steal" a single point tonight. If anything, Bernier should be grateful that the team still employees him and he isn't riding the bus around the AHL or sitting on the waiver wire.

Insane how quick people are to dangle a .89 performance as proof he isn't a seive :shakehead

Sorry but it's going to take at least 1 game over .900 before I remotely think "he's back".

I didn't say "he's back," I said I felt bad for him. I feel bad for him because the loss wasn't his fault and he had zero chance on the second and third goal. I want him to win a game and get some confidence because I'm a Leaf fan and having a good goalie is more important than wishing we lose just so I can complain about how awful Bernier is on a message board.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I always find it funny when people rage over things that they have imagined.

People are saying he played fine tonight. Not that he's back.

As for empathy. I draw my line somewhere around rapists, child molesters and murderers, not people who struggle with their jobs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

A little harsh, but, I agree somewhat.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If he played every game like tonight, most nights he'd have pretty good stats. He took everything he should, he took most of the high-danger shots and he let in at least one goal that is completely out of his control to make a save on.

Well I guess we just disagree on the eye test. I thought he was not bad, and probably it's not fair to count the OT goal in his sv% since 3v3 isn't hockey, but his movement and rebounds didn't exactly remind me of 2013-14 Bernier.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

As for empathy. I draw my line somewhere around rapists, child molesters and murderers, not people who struggle with their jobs.

Multiple posters have said he's back, actually. They're certainly the minority but the also exist.

I'm pretty much on the fence about Bernier this game but it was refreshing to see him not let in a stinker. We've been very porous on the back end over the last 3-4 games and that's starting to show up the scoreboard. There's been 2+ goals in each of the last two games that resulted from complete defensive breakdowns and that kind of trend is worrying when you consider the progress we seemed to make thus far this season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Multiple posters have said he's back, actually. They're certainly the minority but the also exist.

I'm pretty much on the fence about Bernier this game but it was refreshing to see him not let in a stinker. We've been very porous on the back end over the last 3-4 games and that's starting to show up the scoreboard. There's been 2+ goals in each of the last two games that resulted from complete defensive breakdowns and that kind of trend is worrying when you consider the progress we seemed to make thus far this season.

I think I was one of them, and I was very much making a joke. I saw another poster do it, so that's one at least.

I just think that when you have two dozen people saying he played fine tonight for once and one guy saying he's back, you don't attribute the latter to the whole group.

Well I guess we just disagree on the eye test. I thought he was not bad, and probably it's not fair to count the OT goal in his sv% since 3v3 isn't hockey, but his movement and rebounds didn't exactly remind me of 2013-14 Bernier.

Oh I agree with that. I don't think we'll see that Bernier again to be honest.

As I said in the other thread, gotta separate performance and the result of the performance though. The goalies can only control so much of the latter, and tonight Bernier got the short end of the stick in that regard. If he performed about this well through this season, I think he'd have a .915 sv% now. Just guessing of course, just trying to illustrate that his sv% is low tonight because of a few situations that was completely out of his control.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

Trust me, I wish I imagined a Leaf goalie losing all 11 games to start a season and would love nothing better than a massive bounce back.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
On a serious note, this really is a good opportunity for Bernier to steal the show

Question is why on earth does the man who was supposed to be starter from day one need to steal the show for? He is the sole reason for his troubles this season, guy is finding new and inventive ways to lose this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00