Post-Game Talk: Sharks Hurt Spaling, Sparks and Bernier's Starts. (Leafs lose 5-4 in OT).

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If we got an unprotected first for Kessel, we could have realistically had a great chance at two top 3 picks factoring in the lottery, Leafs and Pitts position, and the lottery odds.

Quick, trade something to the Pens to remove the condition of the first!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If we got an unprotected first for Kessel, we could have realistically had a great chance at two top 3 picks factoring in the lottery, Leafs and Pitts position, and the lottery odds.

Quick, trade something to the Pens to remove the condition of the first!

I'm sure they'd take Leafs 1st.

Wonder how many unprotected 1st. round picks we'll see moved now that everyone has a chance for 1st. overall?

From Wiki:
Round one[edit]
1.The Los Angeles Kings' first-round pick will go to the Carolina Hurricanes as the result of a trade on February 25, 2015 that sent Andrej Sekera to Los Angeles in exchange for Roland McKeown and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[4] The condition – Carolina will receive a first-round pick in 2016 if Los Angeles fails to qualify for the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs[4] – was converted on April 9, 2015.[5]
So that one was conditional.

2.The San Jose Sharks' first-round pick will go to the Boston Bruins as the result of a trade on June 30, 2015 that sent Martin Jones to San Jose in exchange for Sean Kuraly and this pick.[6]

Don't see any conditions on this one. Jones might be the reason it isn't in the lottery.

Conditional picks:

Round: 1
Arizona Coyotes New York Rangers

Arizona will receive a first-round pick in 2016 if New York qualifies for the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs. If the Rangers fail to make the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs, the pick will defer to 2017.[48] Arizona acquired this pick in a trade on March 1, 2015 that sent Keith Yandle, Chris Summers and a fourth-round pick in 2016 to New York in exchange for John Moore, Anthony Duclair, Tampa Bay's second-round pick in 2015 and this conditional pick.[33]

Round: 1
Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Penguins

Toronto will receive a first-round pick in 2016 if Pittsburgh qualifies for the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs. If the Penguins fail to make the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs, the pick will defer to 2017.[49] Toronto acquired this pick in a trade on July 1, 2015 that sent Phil Kessel, Tyler Biggs, Tim Erixon and a conditional second-round pick in 2016 or 2017 to Pittsburgh in exchange for Nick Spaling, Kasperi Kapanen, Scott Harrington, New Jersey's third-round pick in 2016 and this conditional pick.[24]

As for the game, I thought it was close, and a bounce one way or the other ...

van Riemsdyk on 3 v 3 might be good offensively, but he really seems to be lacking on the defensive side. Looks like he's bagged in OT, could he have some conditioning issues?

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm with you, not sure why this has changed.

For all the criticism about it, I have to say I prefer it over people racing to put up a PGT and ending ongoing conversations about the game to jump to another thread.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For all the criticism about it, I have to say I prefer it over people racing to put up a PGT and ending ongoing conversations about the game to jump to another thread.

Never understood the race to start any thread but to each their own.

I didn't consider your point as I don't look at GDT, but I get what you're saying.
Maybe a policy of putting "PGT page ##" in the title is the solution.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Polak is quietly logging huge minutes and sporting the only respectable +/- . (Winnik as well, except not the same mins.)
I am the last person to look at the +/-, and use it as credible.

If a bad team full of minus players has a decent plus player.
if a good team full of plus players has a bad minus player.

Roman's stat in this case, looks pretty decent - when comparing to others.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

because generally speaking - most game day threads around relatively around if not close to being 1000 posts - so therefore it would be closed roughly around the end of the game.

so I don't see how it's "racing" to start a thread, vs. just making sure a new thread is active so said conversations can continue.

or really why it's such a big deal. first. it's oh why is it a race.
now people are upset that the thread is continuing

whatever.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Again no PGT thread.... sucks. At which page can I Start reading the reactions, THX.

All posts are time stamped when the occur.

If the game ends at 7:00 or 7:30 est any posts recorded thereafter would be considered PGT thoughts.

Just flip back a few pages look at the time stamp and continue reading on from there if that is what interests you most. :)

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
because generally speaking - most game day threads around relatively around if not close to being 1000 posts - so therefore it would be closed roughly around the end of the game.

so I don't see how it's "racing" to start a thread, vs. just making sure a new thread is active so said conversations can continue.

whatever.

I can't speak for all but I liked having the PGT because I tape the games and watch them. I like being able to just read the post game because I will have watched the game and not have to wade through 27 pages st finally figure out where to start reading.

My vote is for GDT and PGT, why not also have someone designated to make the post game thread much like the GDT or have the person who made the GDT also make the PGT?

So many simple solutions...

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I can't speak for all but I liked having the PGT because I tape the games and watch them. I like being able to just read the post game because I will have watched the game and not have to wade through 27 pages st finally figure out where to start reading.

My vote is for GDT and PGT, why not also have someone designated to make the post game thread much like the GDT or have the person who made the GDT also make the PGT?

So many simple solutions...

well that's the thing.

generally speaking. for as long as i've been here, there's roughly a new thread started when the game ends - so we can start talking about the game. there've been a lot of people who kept going "well I don't get why there's a "race" to do so." I never saw it as a race or whatever (as someone who just wanted to mitigate the "oh crap, the thread is closed." frustration that I have had (and have seen other people have), and then there was NO. THREAD. (which has happened a lot as well).

so now some people just make the GDT into the PGT for seamless conversation, and now people are complaining because they can't click back a few pages and try to pick up. (i mean to be fair to you or others, that's does seem a bit cowish - but I mean, i generally have to do this every morning, or every night when i miss a game anyway).

so to me people are complaining that there are new threads right after the game is over to which. (why? - the last few pages are usually. hurrah! or crap, depending on the outcome), or complaining that they have to wade through. so basically no matter what is done people are just irked.

I would have gathered the main thing would be that there is still a current (and open) thread to comment in that wouldn't be closed within 2-3 pages of one another. which - prior to last year was generally how it was always done.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Polak is quietly logging huge minutes and sporting the only respectable +/- . (Winnik as well, except not the same mins.)
I am the last person to look at the +/-, and use it as credible.

If a bad team full of minus players has a decent plus player.
if a good team full of plus players has a bad minus player.

Roman's stat in this case, looks pretty decent - when comparing to others.

I agree he's been playing better as of late, might have some value if he gets traded in the next couple of months.

I think Rielly has slowed down a bit compared to his late October, early November games. Saying that though I think he's showing more consistency defensively which is nice. Still makes mistakes but he's progressing still imo.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

whatever.

Different people have different opinions.

For the racing, it's not uncommon to see 3-4 threads pop up, usually before the game even ends. I understand this is touchy for you as you often post PGT.

I'm not really bothered either way, just stating my preference.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Different people have different opinions.

For the racing, it's not uncommon to see 3-4 threads pop up, usually before the game even ends. I understand this is touchy for you as you often post PGT.

I'm not really bothered either way, just stating my preference.

it's not touchy for me - i'm just more curious why does it matter if there are a few threads that pop up. they generally get merged, and it just looks like some people want to have the thread ready to go so the conversation can continue relatively seamlessly. and then when that's taken under consideration and people aren't doing it - people are complaining that it's not like that before - and I don't really see a problem with how it is now either.

like I said, I would have thought the main thing is to have it as seamless as possible to continue to the conversation. if the thread is almost full it makes more sense (to me) to just start a new one, and if it's not, just continue it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
it's not touchy for me - i'm just more curious why does it matter if there are a few threads that pop up. they generally get merged, and it just looks like some people want to have the thread ready to go so the conversation can continue relatively seamlessly. and then when that's taken under consideration and people aren't doing it - people are complaining that it's not like that before - and I don't really see a problem with how it is now either.

like I said, I would have thought the main thing is to have it as seamless as possible to continue to the conversation. if the thread is almost full it makes more sense (to me) to just start a new one, and if it's not, just continue it.
I don't disagree about the timing, but that doesn't seem like an issue for the threads in question.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Not trying to wish anything bad on anyone, but, I was surprised when Lupul went flying through the air and went into the boards really hard and then got up and skated away. It looked like it could of been injury.

I think it was in the 3rd period and he went hard into the endboards as he went flying past the goal; think it was their goal if I recall.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Not trying to wish anything bad on anyone, but, I was surprised when Lupul went flying through the air and went into the boards really hard and then got up and skated away. It looked like it could of been injury.

I think it was in the 3rd period and he went hard into the endboards as he went flying past the goal; think it was their goal if I recall.

Yeah, watching it happen I was thinking he would be back on IR after that collision. Good to see him skate it off (didn't even look like he was hurting)

mikebel111*

no he wasn't.
just because you keep constantly saying this, won't make it any more true.

I am not keep saying this. Bozak has been solid and better than expected without Kessel. However he was pretty invisible yesterday and dont think he played well. I know some want to give some guys no criticism around here but I dont believe he was good.
not sure whats all the fuss about

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I am not keep saying this. Bozak has been solid and better than expected without Kessel. However he was pretty invisible yesterday and dont think he played well. I know some want to give some guys no criticism around here but I dont believe he was good.
not sure whats all the fuss about

because as Just a Shadow pointed out - he wasn't that bad yesterday.
he had an assist, really good on the faceoffs, and there wasn't anything that bad about his game last night to warrant a comment of "well he's really inconsistent, i hope someone takes him soon." that you stated.

and i apologise if you want but it just really seems that almost everything you've stated about Bozak has been about how much he stinks, when I think relatively speaking he's been decent. It's not about not giving criticism. but out of all the forwards, you comment on the one who had a relatively good night?

(shrug)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wonder if the Rielly-Polak pairing will become more permanent...

It was an in-game change last night.

Yeah I think Babcock realized Hunwick might be getting run down. Move him to the 3rd pairing or keep it left/right instead of left/left, right/right.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I wonder if the Rielly-Polak pairing will become more permanent...

It was an in-game change last night.

Yeah I think Babcock realized Hunwick might be getting run down. Move him to the 3rd pairing or keep it left/right instead of left/left, right/right.

I like the move. Polak plays better when paired with a good puck-mover, and having Hunwick - Corrado as the 3rd pair should help both of those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad