Speculation: Sharks' GM Search Discussion - Part II

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'm sure the new guy has a mandate and that it's going to be up to him to execute it how he sees fit. That is of course putting into consideration the hand he was dealt with

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not really "much better financially" next summer. Buyout in 2022 means he's on the books through 2029-30 rather than 2028-29 (1 year). Meanwhile, for your troubles you get two years of lower cap hits instead of just 1 due to the signing bonus structuring of the contract.

If you're going to wait to buy him out next year, then may as well just suck it up and keep him for the full length of the deal rather because the 2024-25 and 2025-26 signing bonus penalties are severe enough where you're not getting much in relief. It's now or it's never with respect to the most beneficial buyout scenario on Vlasic.
If they're going for a playoff spot, yeah you should probably buy Vlasic out now. Labanc too. If they're not going that hard for a playoff spot to where they're riding it out, you only buy Vlasic out next year if you need the space for Meier's new contract. If not, ride it out and bury him when his NMC turns into a 3 team trade list after next season.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I never like hearing “tough to play against”, because it usually means physicality gets overvalued, but I’m hoping that’s not the case here
He also had the piece about speed as well. I think more of the original Vegas style hockey team rather than goon it up hockey. It's also just a buzzword that is used by basically everyone whenever they talk about the style they want from their team.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Not really "much better financially" next summer. Buyout in 2022 means he's on the books through 2029-30 rather than 2028-29 (1 year). Meanwhile, for your troubles you get two years of lower cap hits instead of just 1 due to the signing bonus structuring of the contract.

If you're going to wait to buy him out next year, then may as well just suck it up and keep him for the full length of the deal rather because the 2024-25 and 2025-26 signing bonus penalties are severe enough where you're not getting much in relief. It's now or it's never with respect to the most beneficial buyout scenario on Vlasic.

I'm buyout knowledge deficient, so what do you mean "you get two of years of lower cap hits instead of one?" The only two years the cap hit is big is 24-25 and 25-26 and the only difference between this year and next year besides the added year is the savings they'd get this year (which if they want to compete, would be important for adding depth).

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Now that he's here, let's tear it all down and get ALL the cap space.

buy out Vlasic
trade Burns to Dallas
trade Karlsson with retention
trade Meier
ice a team with 7 forwards and 4 D next year
get Bedard
win

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I just want a new GM hire to come out and say "We're gonna win every game 10-0 and win the next 5 Stanley Cups minimum" one day.
All I want are tweetable sound bytes and fiery press conferences that are borderline therapy sessions

#thisisnotanickorascratchthisanopenwound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad