Speculation: Sharks' GM Search Discussion - Part II

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hopefully Grier will have the guts to make tough moves. Look at Tampa Bay trading McDonagh like it was nothing...

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Pretty excited! Not sure how much freedom he'll have given all the unrealistic expectations Hasso & the current crew have, but would be awesome if he can slowly carve out his space opposed to being forced to hold onto / collect more dinosaurs by trading away first & second round picks.
On the coaching side, I do hope the focus will be on development. A young coach like the aforementioned Knoblauch would be great.

Hoping it's the start of a new dynasty!

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Super excited for the official announcement from the team and hearing Grier's comments on the role. I hope they let him make the draft pick Thursday night, and even if he's not allowed to completely blow up the team, I hope he makes his mark on the roster through some bigger moves.

Let's hope a change of leadership gets the locker room a much needed kick in the gut too.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Super excited for the official announcement from the team and hearing Grier's comments on the role. I hope they let him make the draft pick Thursday night, and even if he's not allowed to completely blow up the team, I hope he makes his mark on the roster through some bigger moves.

Let's hope a change of leadership gets the locker room a much needed kick in the gut too.
With the 11th pick in the 2022 NHL Entry Draft the Sam Jose Sharks are proud to select Noah Warren, D, Gatineau (QMJHL)

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

I wonder if they will bring in some sort of consultant positions through guys like Marleau, Thornton, or other former sharks.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Quickly looking at the roster, Vlassic is the only guy who overlapped Grier on the sharks. No idea what that would mean for a potential buyout.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I keep thinking Kris Knoblauch. Fits Hasso's plans to try to copy the Avs but get to a Cup faster. (Not saying his plans are good, just saying Im thinking he wants to copy the Avs but try to shorten the time table to cup)

Step 1: Hire fan favorite player as a GM? Likely check tomorrow.

Step 2: Hire young up and coming AHL HC to be your team's HC rather than an NHL retread. Given Grier's working in NYR, that screams Kris Knoblauch.

Step 3: Win Cup? lol
Hasso plans to copy the Av's? Link? Or is that just follow the most recent leader/winner?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
And it's much better financially to buy out next summer.

Unlocked

Not really "much better financially" next summer. Buyout in 2022 means he's on the books through 2029-30 rather than 2028-29 (1 year). Meanwhile, for your troubles you get two years of lower cap hits instead of just 1 due to the signing bonus structuring of the contract.

If you're going to wait to buy him out next year, then may as well just suck it up and keep him for the full length of the deal rather because the 2024-25 and 2025-26 signing bonus penalties are severe enough where you're not getting much in relief. It's now or it's never with respect to the most beneficial buyout scenario on Vlasic.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Pretty cool and historical moment

Hopefully Grier is actually able to operate with autonomy and isn't just a mouthpiece for Hasso to continue burning through what little we still have to work with

If Grier has learned from his recent stops and is able to make his own decisions I'm actually decently optimistic, we've needed a new voice at the top of the org for a long time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad