Rumor: Sharks GM Doug Wilson looking desperately to get a first for rebuild mode

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This is why you don't throw $11M+ at a guy who's struggled with injuries and had his quality of play deteriorate because of it.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
In what universe does Leblac get a 1st???? Career high 17 goals.

upload_2020-1-20_13-44-18.png

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Guys like Lebanc: Decent top 9 winger approaching RFA, rarely get moved at the deadline so we don't have much to gauge their value historically. You get Lebanc for a playoff run and you can sign him to a below market deal this offseason. Ray Shero used to trade a 2nd and 3rd rounder for that type of RFA in the offseason from cap strapped teams (Johannsen, Gusev) in NJ.

I think Lebanc is probably worth at least 2 2nds, and possibly a 1st.

Reactions: themelkman

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I thought the GM was Karlsson the way he does his interviews. :laugh:

I don't think Wilson (or rather Karlsson) should be looking for a 1st, I think he should be looking to the idea of addition by subtraction. He needs to open up cap space so he can better develop the depth, and get rid of some of the bad apples that have tainted the team with bad attitudes, poor leadership, and off ice issues. The real issue is pretty much all of them issue players have NMC's or super crazy NTL's or are the secret GM's.

It's probably impossible with a 3 team trade list (27 team no trade list) but I'd look to move Kane for a pick. Not even a 1st like the Sharks paid. Just the highest I could get. Sort of a Jeff Skinner special and hope 1 of the 3 teams Kane allows a trade to are looking to add and have the cap. Which is probably never going to happen especially since he just had a kid, he probably is trying to set up roots. But you never know.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Damn it,we dont need to pile on anybody...After the horror show we went through last season ,we really need to keep quiet and not gloat or make snide comments towards the Sharks....Come on Ottawa we have more class that this

Reactions: Pistol Pete

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He's on pace for 18 goals, and doesn't have the PP time to inflate his assist numbers. He's a solid 3rd liner or passenger on a 2nd line, but that doesn't get a 1st.

He's a RFA on a fricken million dollar contract. Just his contract alone and his pace screams value. Someone with a 28-31 pick should definitely be interested. And maybe with a small add going back from the Sharks

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

I don't think Wilson (or rather Karlsson) should be looking for a 1st, I think he should be looking to the idea of addition by subtraction. He needs to open up cap space so he can better develop the depth, and get rid of some of the bad apples that have tainted the team with bad attitudes, poor leadership, and off ice issues. The real issue is pretty much all of them issue players have NMC's or super crazy NTL's or are the secret GM's.

It's probably impossible with a 3 team trade list (27 team no trade list) but I'd look to move Kane for a pick. Not even a 1st like the Sharks paid. Just the highest I could get. Sort of a Jeff Skinner special and hope 1 of the 3 teams Kane allows a trade to are looking to add and have the cap. Which is probably never going to happen especially since he just had a kid, he probably is trying to set up roots. But you never know.
Im sorry man I generally respect your opinion but this is a terrible idea, dumb narrative.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's a RFA on a fricken million dollar contract. Just his contract alone and his pace screams value. Someone with a 28-31 pick should definitely be interested. And maybe with a small add going back from the Sharks
I'm not saying he doesn't bring value, but contenders should already have pieces like him or be targeting higher end pieces, even if they are rentals.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I'm not saying he doesn't bring value, but contenders should already have pieces like him or be targeting higher end pieces, even if they are rentals.

What contenders should be doing is picking up Labanc for a late first. If he’s on pace for 18 goals on a crappy San Jose team for a measly million dollars. He could easily put up 25 or so on the contenders team for cheap, and he’s also RFA for the team.

The acquired team has complete control. NHL teams are a business they like production for cheap and that’s what he gives.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What contenders should be doing is picking up Labanc for a late first. If he’s on pace for 18 goals on a crappy San Jose team for a measly million dollars. He could easily put up 25 or so on the contenders team for cheap, and he’s also RFA for the team, and has complete control. NHL teams are a business they like production for cheap and that’s what he gives.

He put up 17 on a very good Sharks team last season. Yes, he did have 56 points, but he won't have that same PP time on another team to boost those numbers. He's a solid player, but I don't see teams lining up to move a 1st for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder when teams start pointing out that only 1 Cup winner in something like 9 years has traded their first at the deadline.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He put up 17 on a very good Sharks team last season. Yes, he did have 56 points, but he won't have that same PP time on another team to boost those numbers. He's a solid player, but I don't see teams lining up to move a 1st for him.

I see teams lining up to offer a late first just because of his contract. He’s almost as cheap as a Entry Level Contract. And you don’t even know what that late pick is gonna be. But you know what Labanc is.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015

Kane +? for Burakovsky and Girard. I'd love to see Kane annd Kadri on the same line.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I see teams lining up to offer a late first just because of his contract. He’s almost as cheap as a Entry Level Contract. And you don’t even know what that late pick is gonna be. But you know what Labanc is.
He's not going to be that cheap on his next deal, his value this season is meaningless to other teams. If he's moved, he'll get what's he's worth, probably in the 2.5-3.5 range, maybe he pushes 4.

Reactions: kevrondl

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
He's not going to be that cheap on his next deal, his value this season is meaningless to other teams. If he's moved, he'll get what's he's worth, probably in the 2.5-3.5 range, maybe he pushes 4.

And that's still worth it for a late pick and a player who can play now. Unlike a late pick that usually takes 2+ years to even have a sniff at the NHL level.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I wonder when teams start pointing out that only 1 Cup winner in something like 9 years has traded their first at the deadline.

Picks won't help you win the cup. If a team thinks it can win a cup, it's worth the risk.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Getting a 1st will not be very hard for the Sharks. Sure they are not going to be close to getting a pick as high as what Ottawa has but the movable pieces Labanc, Dillon, Melker Karlsson, Sorensen should give us enough value back that we can move up to a pick in the 20-30 range.

I definitely think Labanc is worth a late 1st on his own. At worst he gets 2 2nds.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Damn it,we dont need to pile on anybody...After the horror show we went through last season ,we really need to keep quiet and not gloat or make snide comments towards the Sharks....Come on Ottawa we have more class that this
I don’t see Ottawa fans gloating

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
just played the Sharks. Team was trash but would love to have Timo Meier on the team. The guy is a load!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00