Rumor: Sharks GM Doug Wilson looking desperately to get a first for rebuild mode

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Getting a 1st doesn't really do much to change that though. If anything it exacerbates the situation as the Sharks will then be down an impact player (to acquire a 1st), which only increases the odds of that lottery pick being a top pick.

Once your pick is firmly in the lottery it doesn't really matter how sunk your cost is. If the season's a write off and the future looks rough too, you might as well set yourself up with a year of development on a decent prospect by picking in the first round. The Sharks themselves don't get any bonus points for giving up the 6th overall vs the 3rd.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Never really understood why teams always want to get their own 1st back - might as well get another bad team's and try to win yourself.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not sold Lebanc gets a 1st. He isn't going to get the PP production that he had last season on a real contender.

Would he really make Hertl or Meier available?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Once your pick is firmly in the lottery it doesn't really matter how sunk your cost is. If the season's a write off and the future looks rough too, you might as well set yourself up with a year of development on a decent prospect by picking in the first round. The Sharks themselves don't get any bonus points for giving up the 6th overall vs the 3rd.
This is what most don’t understand. Who tf cares what overall it is. If we aren’t making the playoffs it’s all the same. In fact I’d rather Ottawa get a great pick than anyone in the west

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Wilson had a chance to replace his first in the offseason.

Instead we have this:
marleau-black-jpg.240799

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yes, but the premise presented in this thread is that Wilson is 'embarrassed' about where the pick is going to land. Which is what my comment is in reply to.

Reactions: Janks

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I don't think Wilson has ever planned more than a few months in advance and it's finally caught up to him. Now he's chasing "a" 1st round pick. So he's going to remove talent from a bottom-end team for that pick, so by the time that pick is ready for the NHL, the talent he keeps now will be older and the team will still be terrible. Time to tear the whole damn thing to the ground and start all over. And if some of those contracts are immoveable, maybe Wilson and other GMs can learn something for next time(not likely though). A lot of Sharks fans on here have declared that despite the need for change and the tight cap position, nobody of value could ever be traded. That's going to have to change if the Sharks ever want out of the basement.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Gotcha. Well, he gets paid too much to make decisions on pride.

Curious what the Owners are thinking for San Jose. He may be reacting to a potential firing if that pick lands Lafrenier. But landing on a soft cushioning blow, and possible another chance for getting another first rounder this year.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Curious what the Owners are thinking for San Jose. He may be reacting to a potential firing if that pick lands Lafrenier. But landing on a soft cushioning blow, and possible another chance for getting another first rounder this year.

Likely. But I feel like the best way to keep your job is showing you can make the best decision for the franchise vs the one that saves you a bit of face. Who knows how that actually works though, I suppose all owners have their own little quirks.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Likely. But I feel like the best way to keep your job is showing you can make the best decision for the franchise vs the one that saves you a bit of face. Who knows how that actually works though, I suppose all owners have their own little quirks.

Dont know how you would ever get another GM job if you made a massive deal that backfired and landed the other team first overall and a franchise player. I would back peddle like Doug Wilson right now and try and fix the situation knowing I’m out of the NHL. I would be doing the exact same thing if I was in his shoes.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Every year there’s firsts being moved. This year should be no different. Injuries pile up. Teams take chances like for Instance the Karlsson trade in 2018 even if it’s based off conditions.

I would bet atleast 2 or 3 firsts are moved before February 24th deadline. It comes down to who executes getting the firsts first before the other sellers execute a trade with them also.

Then again your team has 2 top 10 picks over in Ottawa. You could give a damn about the rest of us rebuilding teams. So of course you would say that.

A lot of uneccesary anger towards me for no apparent reason honestly.

I was simply trying to provide an objective viewpoint and trying to not pile on the Sharks further.

Reactions: topshelf15

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm not sold Lebanc gets a 1st. He isn't going to get the PP production that he had last season on a real contender.

Would he really make Hertl or Meier available?
I would be interested in Sharks fans' perspective on what the add would need to be to their 1st for the Blues to land Hertl. A young roster player (not named Thomas or Kyrou) or prospects? F or D?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I would be interested in Sharks fans' perspective on what the add would need to be to their 1st for the Blues to land Hertl. A young roster player (not named Thomas or Kyrou) or prospects? F or D?
If you want Hertl there isnt really room for a (not named), its gotta be cream of the crop guys coming back. Doing some research here I dont think sharks would be interested in anything that isnt Thomas or Kyrou. I would request a top 20 prospect in the league and im not sure the blues have anyone of that caliber

Reactions: Phu

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If you want Hertl there isnt really room for a (not named), its gotta be cream of the crop guys coming back. Doing some research here I dont think sharks would be interested in anything that isnt Thomas or Kyrou. I would request a top 20 prospect in the league and im not sure the blues have anyone of that caliber
Pretty much what I figured. In order to add a salary like Hertl's, the Blues are going to have to rely on keeping young guys like Thomas and Kyrou in the lineup on cheap deals and, as you pointed out, there really isn't anyone behind them other than perhaps Kostin. At this point, I'm not sure I would even be happy about Kostin + 1st for Hertl if I felt like there was another deal to be made elsewhere, even for a rental, that wouldn't cost both.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pretty much what I figured. In order to add a salary like Hertl's, the Blues are going to have to rely on keeping young guys like Thomas and Kyrou in the lineup on cheap deals and, as you pointed out, there really isn't anyone behind them other than perhaps Kostin. At this point, I'm not sure I would even be happy about Kostin + 1st for Hertl if I felt like there was another deal to be made elsewhere, even for a rental, that wouldn't cost both.
I think 1st+Kyrou would have to be on the table. Thomas would still be a no go for me, he'll be a 60+ point guy very soon.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Ottawa fans have got to be absolutely ecstatic at this news.

They have a great chance to take home Lafreniere or Byfield and are at least pretty much guaranteed two of Stutzle, Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, and Drysdale at this point.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think 1st+Kyrou would have to be on the table. Thomas would still be a no go for me, he'll be a 60+ point guy very soon.
Given that the Blues would probably need to flip Hertl after the playoffs (or trade another forward for futures) to fit Petro's next deal, I'd be very reluctant to part with Kyrou. His production at an ELC cost, even if it is only 50-75% of Hertl's anticipated production, would be missed. I'm interested to see if Bozak survives past the draft given how good Thomas has looked at C and the demand around the league for a solid 2C/3C tweener like Bozak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad