Speculation: Sharks future depth

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Perhaps. It is also possible that DW snags one of those high-end forwards via trade...they do tend to move more than franchise defensemen.

But, there are other things to think about. The Sharks have never developed a cornerstone defenseman...they've never even had one. Duncan Keith, PK Subban, and Drew Doughty are better than any defenseman to ever skate for the Sharks. Post-Strelow, they haven't shown they can develop a star goalie, and I believe in the general idea that Strelow was the magic behind their goalie program.

I honestly think Jones might be that guy for us. I've had good intuition about goalies in the past, and I have a very good feeling about Jones. Hopefully that atleast solves our cornerstone goalie issue. That'd be one need filled finally.

Burns is capable of being a #1 d-man, he just hasn't been able to put it all together in one season. I think it's a long shot at this point, but it's possible. If the Sharks want to win a cup this season, which I think is very unlikely, they are going to need Jones to put up a vezina season and Burns to get some real Norris votes. Both are possible, but I'm not counting my chickens.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I honestly think Jones might be that guy for us. I've had good intuition about goalies in the past, and I have a very good feeling about Jones. Hopefully that atleast solves our cornerstone goalie issue. That'd be one need filled finally.

Burns is capable of being a #1 d-man, he just hasn't been able to put it all together in one season. I think it's a long shot at this point, but it's possible. If the Sharks want to win a cup this season, which I think is very unlikely, they are going to need Jones to put up a vezina season and Burns to get some real Norris votes. Both are possible, but I'm not counting my chickens.

The satisfaction I'll get from this team is watching progress, under a new regime, watching the young'ins develop, and hopefully seeing the team put together a solid year with a good mixture of youth and vets. Making the playoffs is expected and after that I just ask for solid competition.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

With Martin as his partner and DeBoer's system, Wookie is going to have a MASSIVE year. It's not a long shot at all, imo. Looking at his stats from last year and everything the team went thru, there is no reason he cant improve his #'s and his game.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
With Martin as his partner and DeBoer's system, Wookie is going to have a MASSIVE year. It's not a long shot at all, imo. Looking at his stats from last year and everything the team went thru, there is no reason he cant improve his #'s and his game.

The most likely reason his numbers could go down is if he gets counted on to do more heavy lifting defensively and plays conservatively. But if Vlasic-Braun is gonna be a thing, no reason to believe he can't do as you say.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Kinda funny we keep hoping for help with a defenseman that was tied for 2nd in the league in scoring. Sandwiched between two Norris trophy winners.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Kinda funny we keep hoping for help with a defenseman that was tied for 2nd in the league in scoring. Sandwiched between two Norris trophy winners.
If Burns was a bit better in defense, he would have been a Norris Trophy winner.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If you watch burns throughout the season you'll see him progress from a wild random 70 point d man that has trouble in his own end to a 40-45 point picks his spots and plays a bit smarter in his own end d man. He was rushing much less at the end of the year.

Here's the thing though. It was terrible when they put mueller with him: mueller would never do anything except give burns the puck. Too much on burns there.

The vlasic pairing was okay but sporadic and unbalanced the rest of the defense.

Irwin and burns could, with sheltered minutes do some damage but you need a pairing with burns in all situations.

Dillon with burns was the closest but Dillon struggled changing teams and learning our system.

So I hope they put martin with him and solidify that as the second pairing. The amount of partners burns went through while switching back to D was a major coaching fail. I expect burns to be a different player this season

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
If you watch burns throughout the season you'll see him progress from a wild random 70 point d man that has trouble in his own end to a 40-45 point picks his spots and plays a bit smarter in his own end d man. He was rushing much less at the end of the year.

Here's the thing though. It was terrible when they put mueller with him: mueller would never do anything except give burns the puck. Too much on burns there.

The vlasic pairing was okay but sporadic and unbalanced the rest of the defense.

Irwin and burns could, with sheltered minutes do some damage but you need a pairing with burns in all situations.

Dillon with burns was the closest but Dillon struggled changing teams and learning our system.

So I hope they put martin with him and solidify that as the second pairing. The amount of partners burns went through while switching back to D was a major coaching fail. I expect burns to be a different player this season

I like the look on DeBoer's face when talking about Burns. You can see the excitement. And after nothing but praise for the Wookie after the Championships in Europe, I expect Burns to compete for a Norris and be Deboer's go to guy. I think a 25g 50a season is attainable. 10ES 7PP goals 43a last year. No reason he cant up those numbers. Better partner, fast paced offense, I cant wait.:popcorn:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like the look on DeBoer's face when talking about Burns. You can see the excitement. And after nothing but praise for the Wookie after the Championships in Europe, I expect Burns to compete for a Norris and be Deboer's go to guy. I think a 25g 50a season is attainable. 10ES 7PP goals 43a last year. No reason he cant up those numbers. Better partner, fast paced offense, I cant wait.:popcorn:

Of course there are reasons why he can't put up those numbers. I get the excitement but reel it in.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
If Burns was a bit better in defense, he would have been a Norris Trophy winner.

I disagree, are you saying Karlsson and Subban are superior in defense? Karlsson has many lapses but he makes up for it with his offense. The Norris trophy is about offense, gawdy numbers points, +-, they can still get taken out of proportion, which is really a team effort as well. Ottawa last year had a goalie that went on a rediculous run, still there overall team defense was 13th, while the sharks were 24th. Subban plays for the #1 defensive team and a vezina goalie. Im not saying Burns doesnt need to /or can't improve defensively. his +- would have looked a lot prettier with a better goalie, the whole team was off last year and our d was terrible, he is part of it but not the problem. his defense has little to do why he didn't win the Norris.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I disagree, are you saying Karlsson and Subban are superior in defense? Karlsson has many lapses but he makes up for it with his offense. The Norris trophy is about offense, gawdy numbers points, +-, they can still get taken out of proportion, which is really a team effort as well. Ottawa last year had a goalie that went on a rediculous run, still there overall team defense was 13th, while the sharks were 24th. Subban plays for the #1 defensive team and a vezina goalie. Im not saying Burns doesnt need to /or can't improve defensively. his +- would have looked a lot prettier with a better goalie, the whole team was off last year and our d was terrible, he is part of it but not the problem. his defense has little to do why he didn't win the Norris.

Karlsson and Subban are perfectly competent defensive players nowadays

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
As is Burns, main point was about Norris which has little to do with defense.

Except for the objective trophies like the Richard, the hockey awards are largely reputation based. Burns wasn't competent defensively this year. He used to be competent defenseively a few years ago but his offense wasn't nearly as good as it was this year. IF he manages to combine both aspects of his game next year, he should have a shot at the Norris.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Burns is fine defensively when he focuses on just his job as a dman. He gets in trouble trying to be everywhere at once. I expect him to be better this year since he's a defenseman for good.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
If Martin is his partner regularly, that shouldn't be an issue. Martin's been a minus player twice in his eleven year career.

DW's interview on MvsW podcast he made it perfectly clear he and Deboer were on board with bringing in Paul Martin to be Burns pairing. No need for ifs anymore I think.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
DW's interview on MvsW podcast he made it perfectly clear he and Deboer were on board with bringing in Paul Martin to be Burns pairing. No need for ifs anymore I think.

There is always need for ifs. It's very easy for either of them to get hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad