Centers-

Hertl, Tierney, O'Regan, Chartier

RW-

Meier, Karlsson, Donskoi, Emanuelsson, Crane

LW-

Nieto, Goldobin, Jevpalovs

Defense-

Mueller, Roy, Bergman, Ryan, Demelo, McNally

Seems to me we have a pretty good future here. I really hope Deboer works Hertl at center. Should the youngsters pan out we may not miss JT in a few years.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
That list has plenty of bottom-pairing/3rd line guys (Tierney/Bergman/O'Regan/etc.) and some guys who will 2nd pairing and 2nd line guys (Nieto/Meier/Mueller/etc.), but I don't see many top-pairing/top-line guys (Hertl, Goldobin, and Roy??), which is a problem. We really need a few guys to develop a lot better than their projection or we will have a lot of good young guys on the 2nd/3rd/4th lines and 2nd/3rd pairings, but without enough top players for the playoffs.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Bergeron is Canadian.
1229017ysunpgww5uwcchw.png

I was being sarcastic. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Future hall of fame / one of the best set men ever to play in the game = will definitely be missed and most likely irreplaced career wise. But I do agree in that Hertl more so than the rest of the youth at the C position can turn out to be very good for us.

Last edited:

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I'm really glad so many of you can accurately predict a player's ceiling.

I'd love to have known what was said about 7th rounder Joe Pavelski's ceiling when he was drafted. Anyone peg him as a 40 goal scorer?

Gut feelings are fine, but to pigeon-hole players before they've even begun is unneccessary. How do you we know that Goldobin won't completely bust while Jevlapovs could be the next Marleau in prime?

Wait and see.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I'd love to have known what was said about 7th rounder Joe Pavelski's ceiling when he was drafted. Anyone peg him as a 40 goal scorer?

Gut feelings are fine, but to pigeon-hole players before they've even begun is unneccessary. How do you we know that Goldobin won't completely bust while Jevlapovs could be the next Marleau in prime?

Wait and see.

Wait and see is definitely the best way to look at prospects in sports but there's usually a certain level of promise that needs to exist before that happens. A lot of our crappier late round prospects had very little--if any--promise besides Pavelski. Can be kind hard to be hopeful if prospects don't elevate their play after their.

As it stands, things look interesting but on a scale of "YES!" and "NO!" most of them aren't very far towards "YES!" yet.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Wait and see.

To be fair, around here, the overhype of Shark's prospects is going on full swing (but that is true almost everywhere). 210 was one of the few people balancing the scales the other way, and now that the team is no longer in Worcester, that influence is gone.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
To be fair, around here, the overhype of Shark's prospects is going on full swing (but that is true almost everywhere). 210 was one of the few people balancing the scales the other way, and now that the team is no longer in Worcester, that influence is gone.

With more people here to see things for themselves, that influence may not be as important (No offense to 210, Speed, and others, who have been incredibly good to us over the years!!!). On the flip side, if you don't have years (decades?) of following AHL hockey, how effective can one be at predicting players NHL upside.

I would think watching the Sharks and Barracuda on back to back nights may help with the latter, but seeing high-end AHLer Ryan Carpenter dominate, may not be all that relevant to the struggles of Goodrow on the NHL fourth line.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

Overhyping on these boards is natural. I think people can read beyond the hyperbole, though, can't they?

On the flip side, it seems a little harsh to write someone's upside off before they've so much as sniffed a pro roster.

That key bit in the middle is the development. That's what matters - putting it all together is an art, but it's also partly controllable.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Was curious how we look-

Centers-

Hertl, Tierney, O'Regan, Chartier

RW-

Meier, Karlsson, Donskoi, Emanuelsson, Crane

LW-

Nieto, Goldobin, Jevpalovs

Defense-

Mueller, Roy, Bergman, Ryan, Demelo, McNally

Seems to me we have a pretty good future here. I really hope Deboer works Hertl at center. Should the youngsters pan out we may not miss JT in a few years.

I'm pretty sure Karlsson is a LW, isn't he?

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
In the QMJHL last season-

Jevpalovs - 64gm 49g 51a

Meier-61gm 44G 46A

Both listed at 6'1 210lbs-

Wonder what Jev projects at? We know what the Org thinks of Meier.:popcorn:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
In the QMJHL last season-

Jevpalovs - 64gm 49g 51a

Meier-61gm 44G 46A

Both listed at 6'1 210lbs-

Wonder what Jev projects at? We know what the Org thinks of Meier.:popcorn:

Yeah but Jevpalovs is two years older, if you wanted to compare seasons the season he had at the same age as Meier was 61gp 28g 26a 54pts. He's still one of our best prospects though, really glad to have him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
How is that group depressing? It should nicely fill in the 2nd line and below, and the second half of the defense for a while...and there is a player or two who could be better than that. There are only so many spots on the roster....

It does bite that there isn't so much top-end talent on that list, but that is a function of the Sharks's drafting position more than anything else. Even if say the Sharks drafted Barzal or Rantanen...are either of those guys going to compare to prime! Thornton or Marleau?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
How is that group depressing? It should nicely fill in the 2nd line and below, and the second half of the defense for a while...and there is a player or two who could be better than that. There are only so many spots on the roster....

It does bite that there isn't so much top-end talent on that list, but that is a function of the Sharks's drafting position more than anything else. Even if say the Sharks drafted Barzal or Rantanen...are either of those guys going to compare to prime! Thornton or Marleau?

It's been a while we've had a group of prospects capable of filling in spots throughout the entire lineup. If a lot of the forwards end up being 2nd line talents or multiple defensemen developing into good top 3/4 guys, we can take advantage of a team looking to sell on their stars and poach a Thornton replacement from them just like Calgary, Dallas, San Jose, and countless other teams have done in the past.

Let's face it, there's like a 90% chance we're not drafting a star. Enough stars get moved around in a 5 year period that poaching one is a legitimate option. So might as well looking into trading quantity for quality at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad