Sharks Fan Fest - September 12 with rookie games vs Ducks 9/12 and 9/13

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I like this Donskoi kid. Fast, and has two goals tonight.

I'm going to the preseason game against Arizona and would love to see him play that game too. This game is really enforcing my opinion that hockey preseason is the best of the major sports.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Sharks top line of Goldobin, Donskoi, and Chartier with Roy and Vanier had a great PP finally. They were running circles around the ducks. Just after that, McNally stopped a 2 on 1.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It was an odd game overall - Sharks dominated play in the 1st and 3rd and the Ducks really dominated the 2nd.

Roy showed his potential - not the best player on the ice or even on the Sharks, but his vision, puck skill, and composure are high end. His speed was not as bad as I anticipated.

The Sharks PP has largely horrible. I was hoping to see Vanier's slapper.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It was an odd game overall - Sharks dominated play in the 1st and 3rd and the Ducks really dominated the 2nd.

Roy showed his potential - not the best player on the ice or even on the Sharks, but his vision, puck skill, and composure are high end. His speed was not as bad as I anticipated.

The Sharks PP has largely horrible. I was hoping to see Vanier's slapper.

I pretty much agree with all of his other than just being able to see a hockey game on the weekend of week 1 of the mighty NFL season made me happy. I think I will be more excited about that game tonight than anything that happens tomorrow.

Fan fest overall was pretty good. I wished they had talked to more players (on the main stage they were doing young kid questions, then a variation of Match game, than something with animals and then we got to the meaty stuff) and maybe did a broadcaster round table so I could ask if CSNCA was going to televise any of the preseason games (Dan said all preseason games were going to be on radio and web). I didn't do any photos (Lines were too long) but like the Giants fan fest I was just really happy to be back at SAP Center and the hockey game was an added bonus.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Got back from the game just now. Overall pretty so-so quality of hockey.

Doonskoi was the major standout for both teams. Played extremely well and really showed his skill throughout. On the powerplay in the third he was making things happen singlehandedly and kept beating every Duck to the puck. Roy was the other standout. By far the best defenseman out there. Smart, fast, and simple. Really loved his game. Goldobin was pretty good and Meier occasionally did some nice stuff, too. Ducks were terrible.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
The game was really fun, especially after such a long offseason. I really hope they just announce the entire player availability schedule ahead of time for next season though. Many folks were waiting in autograph lines before knowing who would actually be at the table. The ushers were pretty much clueless and many admitted that they weren't told ahead of time which players would be where and when. I received conflicting and inaccurate information from more than a few ushers, but I blame management more for that. They made the lines unnecessarily confusing and frustrating.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Got back from the game just now. Overall pretty so-so quality of hockey.

Doonskoi was the major standout for both teams. Played extremely well and really showed his skill throughout. On the powerplay in the third he was making things happen singlehandedly and kept beating every Duck to the puck. Roy was the other standout. By far the best defenseman out there. Smart, fast, and simple. Really loved his game. Goldobin was pretty good and Meier occasionally did some nice stuff, too. Ducks were terrible.

Interesting take. I thought Ryan was by far our best defenseman with Cavan Fitzgerald not too far behind. Roy looked lost in his own zone at times and got beat back on an icing (as did McNally).

Ryan is just so calm with the puck and knows how to skate it out of trouble.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Goldobin scores an empty netter. 4-1 Sharks.

Greedy Russian should have given Donskoi the hatty!:sarcasm:

Team looked amazing in the 1st and 3rd, which was easy to tell by following the shot clock. Donskoi was the best player on the ice, he was dominant in pretty much every way possible. Fast, skilled, handed the puck exceptionally well, and was always in the right place. Hard to make predictions from one game but I think he'll make a serious push for a roster spot in camp and I would much rather have a skilled player like him rather than a face puncher and he also has the benefit of being skilled in shootouts. Chartier was also impressive, he was very composed and steady playing a really mature game. He wasn't quite as showy Donskoi but his snipe of a goal was Pavelski-esque. Goldobin had some flashes of skill and his defensive game seems to have improved, he should also push to make the team as he seems to have polished his game since last season. Meier looks good and seems to have tons of potential, he plays bigger than he is and at least physically looks like an NHLer though I think he could use another year in junior. Basically our top 6 was brilliant, somehow we've managed to get a handful of quality forward prospects in a short period of time. Our D looked good as well but less noteworthy. Ryan was good offensively, smooth skater and quick. Roy seems to have a lot of potential but needs time to develop, he seems to think things over a little too long but once he learns to trust himself it should work out, he's talented offensively and a much faster and better skater than people have been making him out to be. McNally was pretty good all around though not flashy, he also has a good shot from the point. Bergman looked off and didn't finish the game, probably injury related. Vanier wasn't a problem but wasn't noticeable to me either. Rumpel was solid, especially in the 2nd when he was hung out to dry a little too often.

My girlfriend and I had a great time at the fanfest, we got there early and picked up the cool new jersey and had it signed by Nabby, Ricci, and Rathje.:yo: The attitude seemed much more optimistic than last year, though there were plenty of boos for Wilson. The new goal song is slightly generic but the heavy drums work well at the tank at least, wish there was something more identifiable to it though. Also happy to be there to see the announcement of Nabby's new job, wish him the best.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The game was really fun, especially after such a long offseason. I really hope they just announce the entire player availability schedule ahead of time for next season though. Many folks were waiting in autograph lines before knowing who would actually be at the table. The ushers were pretty much clueless and many admitted that they weren't told ahead of time which players would be where and when. I received conflicting and inaccurate information from more than a few ushers, but I blame management more for that. They made the lines unnecessarily confusing and frustrating.

Was Joe Thornton there? When they did the 2:00 segment he was listed along with ward and Torres. It seemed like the Sharks website confused the Joes because Pavelski was there but I don't think Thornton was.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Was Joe Thornton there? When they did the 2:00 segment he was listed along with ward and Torres. It seemed like the Sharks website confused the Joes because Pavelski was there but I don't think Thornton was.

On the video boards he was scheduled to do photo ops at 1:30 and then the main stage at 2. I close to the photo line and it seemed to be moving, but I'm not sure if it was him or another player.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
Alright, so I was sitting in section 115 with a bunch of old people and no one seemed to get into the game at all, you could hear crickets from my section. Perhaps I was expecting too much from a $5 rookie game, but it was my first live hockey game so I got into it and IDGF. I finally got to do the super lame shark jaws powerplay gesture. I was the only one that was chanting the words to the song, maybe everyone else was confused about the new song.

3rd period was entertaining, the guy behind my row that kept yelling "how much time is left" right before the "1 minute left to play" announcements also made my day

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Alright, so I was sitting in section 115 with a bunch of old people and no one seemed to get into the game at all, you could hear crickets from my section. Perhaps I was expecting too much from a $5 rookie game, but it was my first live hockey game so I got into it and IDGF. I finally got to do the super lame shark jaws powerplay gesture. I was the only one that was chanting the words to the song, maybe everyone else was confused about the new song.

3rd period was entertaining, the guy behind my row that kept yelling "how much time is left" right before the "1 minute left to play" announcements also made my day

Total opposite of the section I was in, lots of energy. People were nice and invested in the game. Guy behind me was explaining everything to his buddy who didn't know anything about hockey and they were both into it. There was a big family in front of me with three kids who all had balloon fin hats. Lots of cheering for the Sharks, jaws hands, etc. and booing of the Ducks.

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Interesting take. I thought Ryan was by far our best defenseman with Cavan Fitzgerald not too far behind. Roy looked lost in his own zone at times and got beat back on an icing (as did McNally).

Ryan is just so calm with the puck and knows how to skate it out of trouble.

I can agree with your thoughts in both Ryan and Fitzgerald. ..... I liked Roy's game also thou.....
I thought McNally and Vanier were out of place all night.....and Meier was very quiet-expected more from him
Tomorrow's game should tell the full story on these guys

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

I was sitting near the top of your section and there was a guy behind me which really got into it and I thought maybe he posts here because he was a pretty smart guy. For a rookie game, I do think the people who were there were really into it. I was phasing in and out but that third period was pretty wild.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I was sitting near the top of your section and there was a guy behind me which really got into it and I thought maybe he posts here because he was a pretty smart guy. For a rookie game, I do think the people who were there were really into it. I was phasing in and out but that third period was pretty wild.

I was in 115, row 16. Nice section from where I sat. (Habs fan behind me)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad