GDT: Sharks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some posters don’t seem to understand that. You see the hot takes. Just trying to offer some perspective.

I just can’t be mad at this point. A huge chunk of the opening night roster is traded or hurt. GM got fired. HC got fired. Everyone knows Nas and company is going to be gone. There is uncertainty about who else is getting traded.

No shit players are checked out. Rest of this season is burn the tape shit

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yeah.. except he doesn't. Every good player loses points to missed chances by teamates. He's playing on the freaking 1st line with talented players, creating some chances like that should be expected. Also, the points lost on the goal line are in part due to his lack of finish.
No. I have only been counting the sure fire goals, I am not even counting the normal chances. He’s been snakebitten. I can site you the games and plays if you need it. Goalie robbed him and others where he was the primary assist a ton of times. I’m talking crazy goal line saves and pipe shots. They were ridiculous plays that you don’t see happen very often let alone with one player on the ice.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You guys are freaking nuts.

I have been counting this all season, thats the 12th incredible pass from Hughes that was whiffed by his linemates (majority Simmonds)or hit a pipe.

Add that to the 10pts that were robbed on the goal line from one of his shots and/or passes.

Ill say it again, Hughes statline does not tell the full picture. He should have a ton more points.

He will be just fine. He should also be at his natural position, Center.
He’s definitely had some bad luck as it relates to assists. But I think his scoring woes are a combo of some poor luck and also him just not being a good finisher.

Reactions: mdj12784

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Yeah.. except he doesn't. Every good player loses points to missed chances by teamates. He's playing on the freaking 1st line with talented players, creating some chances like that should be expected. Also, the points lost on the goal line are in part due to his lack of finish.

Just telling it like it is. I'm sure he will get better. He has to for our sake.

0X1OkRN_d.jpg

Reactions: Oneiro

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He’s definitely had some bad luck as it relates to assists. But I think his scoring woes are a combo of some poor luck and also him just not being a good finisher.
Sure, he will never be a crazy goal scorer but some of these goal line saves on his shots have just been stupid. He is beyond snakebitten, he will have many more points and goals next season alone just from this evening out.

Reactions: My3Sons

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Both sides of the Hughes debate are right

Hughes has been victimized by stone-handed linemates most of the year

And

Hughes is often too casual with the puck and is prone to unforced errors or easily pressured into bad turnovers

A few pounds and a fresh start under a new coaching staff will hopefully get his discipline in check next year

He's highly skilled and has the vision, he's just too casual and still maturing

He also entered the league amid THE worst shit show possible this year and I think he gets some legit slack for that

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I just can’t be mad at this point. A huge chunk of the opening night roster is traded or hurt. GM got fired. HC got fired. Everyone knows Nas and company is going to be gone. There is uncertainty about who else is getting traded.

Some of the posters - I’m guessing the young ones mostly - are struggling to maintain equilibrium. I get it and see some good things at work.

The team has finally ripped off the band aid. They are taking a hard look at everyone. MBW is showing he has the tools to be a great goalie. That is huge. Nico has started to grow up. Also huge. Bratt continues to prove he has more to offer than many currently think he is capable of. Also huge. The defense is awful and that has been completely exposed. That’s a good thing at this point. Other young guys may he showing they can take on roles as depth players - Merkley and ANDERSON. That’s huge. All in all NJ has a bright future and I’m not agonizing over this end to the season. Better days are ahead but some need a gentle reminder - I’m not suggesting you are among them.

Horus

Teh boss
Mar 18, 2010
Canada,Qc.
No. I have only been counting the sure fire goals, I am not even counting the normal chances. He’s been snakebitten. I can site you the games and plays if you need it. Goalie robbed him and others where he was the primary assist a ton of times. I’m talking crazy goal line saves and pipe shots. They were ridiculous plays that you don’t see happen very often let alone with one player on the ice.
I watch every game and I do agree that he has been robbed more times than the average player, but like I said it does happen to every good player. I still feel like you're painting a rose picture for what we've seen so far. There are more worrying things than I'd like about his game for a 1OV. I don't know how anyone can say he's surefire future superstar so far. He's definitely FAR from a bust, but he has a lot of things to work on. Only time will tell how much better he can get.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I watch every game and I do agree that he has been robbed more times than the average player, but like I said it does happen to every good player. I still feel like you're painting a rose picture for what we've seen so far. There are more worrying things than I'd like about his game for a 1OV. I don't know how anyone can say he's surefire future superstar so far. He's definitely FAR from a bust, but he has a lot of things to work on. Only time will tell how much better he can get.
No doubt he is raw as hell, he will improve next year on this, add that to his luck evening out and he will look a lot better. I think he’s fine because I understand his career trajectory. Nobody else has made this leap from his development league to the NHL at this age. Everyone needs to calm down and relax. He’ll be fine, and FYI to everyone, hes still leading his draft class in points so it’s not even like anyone else has jumped ahead of him.

Hes still a very young 18 year old for NHL standards.

Reactions: Horus

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

The other reason to not be mad is the Devils could be in the same position the Sharks are. Boat anchor contracts with EK and Burns, no first round pick, and a weak prospect pool. Their fans have almost nothing to look forward to.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I’m not sure how you can be mad at a pint sized rookie with 20 points when the team’s leading scorer has 41 points.

I'm disappointed with Jack's play this year, but this actually a good point. I'm disappointed with the entire damn team. I expected Hall to be here all year and score PPG. I expected 60 from Nico and 45+ from Bratt. I expected Palms to hit 30 goals. My disappointment is certainly not restricted to just Hughes. It's been a systemic failure.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Lol, sure Hughes is definitely raw but look at him out there. He generates so much out of nothing. THIS WILL ONLY IMPROVE WITH SEASONING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad