GDT: Sharks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Obviously not the best game but was nice to get another home win since there's been so few this year.

Mac is awesome. I hope he starts Saturday, give Cory the game in Detroit on Tuesday. There's no excuse for anything else.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
this was ugly, but have to feel good about Severson leading the defense in TOI and Zacha leading the forwards in TOI and getting a 2-1 win.

i also absolutely cannot fathom where our team would be without Blackwood. just an absolute gem, mostly the only reason to watch this team and can’t wait to see him in a devils uniform for years to come.

if he can work more on getting that blocker in good shape, we will have a very hard goalie to beat.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
this was ugly, but have to feel good about Severson leading the defense in TOI and Zacha leading the forwards in TOI and getting a 2-1 win.

i also absolutely cannot fathom where our team would be without Blackwood. just an absolute gem, mostly the only reason to watch this team and can’t wait to see him in a devils uniform for years to come.

if he can work more on getting that blocker in good shape, we will have a very hard goalie to beat.

We would be competing with Detroit for worst record in the league.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood now 11-3-3 in his last 17 games. 20-12-7 on the year.
Non Blackwood 3-15-3 on the year.
Blackwood: .915%

Non-Blackwood: .873%

And while the non-Blackwood sample size is smaller (only 670 shots faced, as opposed to Blackwood's 1280 shots faced), it's still more than half of the shots Blackwood has faced.

We have 22 games left and 4 sets of back to backs. Blackwood should probably play 14-15 of the remaining 22 games and not 11 of the 22 with this dumb rotation thing that we usually see to end our shitty lost seasons.

That would leave Blackwood with 56-57 games played this year and 52-53 starts. Unless his performance really starts to drop, I see no harm in letting him ride out 14 of the remaining 22 games on the schedule.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So if Cory is back here now, where’s Domingue? Are we carrying 3 goalies here until season’s end? Or is Louis in Bing? Domingue just had a monster game in St. Louis and is better then Schneider now.

Waived...we'll see if he clears tomorrow.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon

Yea I thought Zachas line had a pretty good game. there were a few shifts where they looked liked they had never played before but also had just as many where their creativeness and skill really showed through. Zacha individually was great in support of that line. he did WORK below both goal lines and won a ton of board battles. also made several nice defensive plays and breakout passes. stuff that wont go on the scoresheet.

Wood was also really moving and playing well, as well as Palms.

I Thought Mermis was very solid, efficient and skates well. want to see more of him going forward

In general though it wasnt great. You saw in the last 2 games those 2 teams looked like Red's team in Waterboy after he stole coach Klines playbook. They knew exactly what we wanted to to and jumped us all game. That is all on coaching.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
See, this is what gets annoying about this board sometimes.

My response was to someone that stated Gusev has an amazing shot. You then proceeded to quote that response and disagree. But now, of course, you are saying he has a "decent shot." Keep moving those goal posts.

In summary: I disagree with a poster saying Gusev has an amazing shot. You disagree with my disagreement. Then you state Gusev has a "decent" shot.

Kinda silly, no?
Nice story but this is actually what you said and what I responded to.
No trigger man on that line is the problem....as it is with most lines on this team since Palms is the only shooter.

Define amazing? He definitely does not have an amazing shot by NHL standards. I like the guy, but he's a playmaker.

Now, before you disagree, realize you just stated you have no idea why he doesn't shoot more. When the reality is he shoots a lot (dead even with Palms), he just isn't good at it so you don't realize it.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well when the save % and goals against clearly show why a goalie is winning more then the other guys, it does become an interesting point.

Meaning it’s not the same argument as when we had a goalie winning in spite of bad splits and a goalie losing with good splits. In this case Blackwood’s splits compared to other Devil goalies show a clear difference that is reflected in the record, so there’s no debate on this one.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah I'm completely against playing Mackenzie in everygame just because it isn't a back to back. Seasons over anyway. Why risk an injury. And like someone else said, playing Dominique will show management how important a good backup is these days.
And playing Cory will hopefully also show management that it's over and he needs to be bought out. You can't seriously go into next season with this goalie tandem again, that had clearly proved that it wasn't gonna work out even before October was over. If he has a .920% over the remaining games he plays, it means nothing because he had an .852% in the first half. That just means that he's a .900% goalie and not an .852% goalie any more than he's a .920% goalie.

I think Big Mac should play 14-15 of the remaining 22 games. Unless he shows legit fatigue and efficiency problems, which would then mean he probably should be dialed back a bit. There's definitely no reason he should play any more than 15 games the rest of the year though. Not in this throwaway season.

Last year they needed to audition both guys down the stretch. Cory to see if he was worth salvaging another season and Big Mac to see if he was good enough to be on the NHL team for this year. Blackwood's stretch should have been taken more seriously because we didn't know enough about him and he didn't have 100+ games of below league average goaltending before that stretch. Although he did have a below league average AHL level of play, but I'm pretty sure Carter Hart (who wasn't a pro for as long as Blackwood yet) also did as well.

And Blackwood has been better than Hart this year, even though Hart probably still has the higher ceiling, but I think behind Shesterkin and Hart, Blackwood is definitely the most promising up and coming goalie in the Metro. Maybe Jarry is tied with him. Blackwood could wind up being better than Hart, but it's too early to say yet.

I'd actually argue Blackwood's ceiling might even be higher than Matt Murray's as of right now (Murray isn't really a prospect anymore like Hart, Shesterkin or Jarry, he's been in the league for 4 years) because Murray is already showing a history of being inconsistent from year to year.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Only when they are backed by a good Save Percentage which he has.
We had another goaltender who for several seasons also had a great save percentage playing behind a crappy team who was bottom 10 in scoring, just like a Blackwood. Yet his win rate was much worse. You don’t find that suspicious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->