Post-Game Talk: Sharks def. Canucks - 4-3 | Jaws: The Revenge (Only we didn’t get a sweet vacation house)

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Schedule loss.

Made a game out of it.

Next!
Not so much this one. Both teams played yesterday and the Canucks were the more active team in the third period. It is just the odds catching up to the Canucks, a "market correction" from all the outrageous luck earlier.
AND
Of the Canucks wins they had 5 playing the, at the time, worst two teams in the league or worst performing at the time.
Of the 14 wins 5 were against Edmonton at their worst and San Jose. They feasted scoring goals too, of their 88 goals for, 34 have come against those two teams inflating their stat totals.

San Jose got a bit of a revenge game, they certainly played as a team. Vancouver and Pittsburgh kicking their ass's back to back may have woken them up a bit. Still not a great team but they do have some very good players still.

Last edited:

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Moving Beau around the lineup is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit

He is incapable of forechecking and grinding as he gets knocked off the puck way too easily

Guys like Beau do well in junior as players are not men. They get into the NHL and all of a sudden life changes. They can’t rely on space, skill and speed alone. Its happens all the time and Beau is a prime example

Hogs is the same size but much stronger and a much better skater

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not to mention took a clapper to the mouth..

He's the best winger on the team he should be in the lineup. One game scratch is excessive but two is some weird hoglander type soft euro bias or something.

It's just dumb as hell and not the lineup best suited for winning games.
Like imagine scratching stutzle or kaprizov or two games when you're trying to win, because they didn't have the tightest selke level zone coverage or something. Cmon rick.
He has not been one of our best 4 wingers for a good while to me.

Höglander, Boeser, Mikheyev and Garland have been better.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I was fine with Kuzmenko sitting for one game because, hey, maybe he just needed a game off. He's been horribly streaky this season and a game's rest might have benefited him. Sitting him for two was completely stupid and one of the very few times I've questioned Tocchet.

Even if you still think he's not "ready" or whatever nonsense, you still play him but cut back his minutes or something. Sitting him for two straight just weakens the team.

If Tocchet is going to preach this whole accountability system then I better start seeing Hoglander getting some chances in the top six. I'm fine with sparkling him around so as not to risk his chemistry on the fourth line but he's earned the chance far and away more than Beau has.

Slot him on PP2 or give him a couple shifts with Miller/Pete.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Kuzmenko has had a few good games all season and that's it. They need to get it figured out and get him in the lineup but he was 100% deserving of the scratch and then there was nobody who deserved to come out after a win. If he's still scratched for next game we've got a problem but the circumstance dictated him out tonight.

Last edited:

Feb 20, 2013
Canucks generated so many chances in this one. Honestly probably more clean looks than in the 10-1 game. As they should against the Sharks. Boeser could have had 4 goals himself.
Perfect storm of nothing went in and they didn't get any saves. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about in this loss. Those sort of bounces will happen some minute percentage of the time.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I was fine with Kuzmenko sitting for one game because, hey, maybe he just needed a game off. He's been horribly streaky this season and a game's rest might have benefited him. Sitting him for two was completely stupid and one of the very few times I've questioned Tocchet.
I have noticed that Pettersson isn't the same either. Sure lots of points but not as much of an impact during 5 on 5. Playing "careful". Kuzmenko and Pettersson worked when unleashed now Tocchet wants a boards guy in the meat grinder position.

Could be management wants to inflate Bosesr's trade value or prepare for a Kuzmenko trade which I think would damage creditability of other FAs signing here.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
At least this year we are in almost every game. That should bold well for the rest of the season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

He was quite good in the Ottawa game but has basically been a ghost since.

As I've mentioned a couple times it's not all his fault as his linemates are also playing poorly and he's been phased out of the PP a bit.. but he's got to find a way to help the team.

We are 20+ games into the season and he has 3 goals. Not good enough.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I had my doubts about the Canucks winning this game in yesterdays GDT..When we played the Sharks last week, it was a close game till the 3rd..They're not the team we slaughtered 10-1.

Given the emotion of the Seattle game, the night before, and the travel...You could see them overlooking this game..much like they did against Calgary (after a rollercoaster game against NYI the night before).

On a positive note, they're mostly at home for the next two weeks..What have they lost at home so far..?..One game..?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hanafin, Tanev and Zadorov combine for a cap hit equal to Myers, Cole and Beauvillier, plus/minus 50k.

Just saying.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hanafin, Tanev and Zadorov combine for a cap hit equal to Myers, Cole and Beauvillier, plus/minus 50k.

Just saying.

imo cole is great as a 5-6 and is getting exposed playing too much and having the puck on his stick too often

no way i’d swap him out for zadorov, who is an inferior player best suited to the same role and at a higher cap hit

Reactions: B-rock and quat

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I'm going to assume you are now giving context to your oblique statements with a font that is too small for me to see
My guess is some form of healthy scratching Hoglander and maaaaaybe playing PDG too high up the line up?

Honestly I don’t know what else you could say about Tocchet that’s clearly a poor coaching move, even the way he says Beaullivier is fine with me, it’s how I say it

Reactions: Nomobo

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
2-4-0 in the last 6.

Nothing to see here …

Kudos to pretty much everyone on the ice getting into it when Benning cheap shotted Pettersson. Lafferty and Friedman lead the charge, but Mikheyev and Myers were in there too.

Flush this game down the toilet. Be like a goldfish and move on to the next one.

The issue isn’t just flushing this game tho. We are 2-4-0 in the last 6. 5 on 5 play has been dog shit for a month. It’s not just 1 game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its a good thing that Myers and Beauvillier (Tocchet says Beaulivayay) are on expiring contracts.
Yeah, except that in the end when Petey and Hronek get paid the balance remaining from that $10 mill is going to be like $3 mill. $11.8 mill for Petey and Hronek so his next deal likely is that much just for him. Hronek let’s say it’s $7 mill. That’s how I get to $3 mill left.

Need to do more than simply let those 2 contracts expire when it comes to cap space.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
5 minor penalties in the last 4 games

I can’t believe I-mac suggested bringing Myers back

Dude should be catapulted to Siberia for even suggesting that idea

Hell even thinking it is a good idea is criminal negligence
I can. If there's a hockey beat writer who understands the game less than I-Mac, it's a very tiny difference. The guy is an absolute tool when it comes to hockey.

It's incredible how many fans are optimists when it comes to Myers. That feeling, "hey, maybe he's turned a corner and there's consistency finally to his game", only to be delivered another slap to the chops with his frenzied, chaotic approach to defence.

The team desperately needs his size and physical play, but gets punished for the need by his brain dead antics. It would be comical if he wasn't eating up 6 million in cap space.

Reactions: B-rock

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
imo cole is great as a 5-6 and is getting exposed playing too much and having the puck on his stick too often

no way i’d swap him out for zadorov, who is an inferior player best suited to the same role and at a higher cap hit
Cole played 2nd pairing minutes in Tampa last year but with better d than than Jullson, Myers, and Freidman. While Myers had been better of late he was not last night. I think the idea of adding a righthanded d man has been on the radar for some time now and this last stretch has only added to the strength of that argument. Coming down to earth folks, this team was not even on the playoff radar at the season's start. A playoff appearance with the current bottom 3 Friedman, Juulson and Myers would only prove the other 3 are the most fantastic at their positions in the history of the sport. Oh and by the way all of those have looked foolish at times this season as well.

Reactions: B-rock

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I can. If there's a hockey beat writer who understands the game less than I-Mac, it's a very tiny difference. The guy is an absolute tool when it comes to hockey.

It's incredible how many fans are optimists when it comes to Myers. That feeling, "hey, maybe he's turned a corner and there's consistency finally to his game", only to be delivered another slap to the chops with his frenzied, chaotic approach to defence.

The team desperately needs his size and physical play, but gets punished for the need by his brain dead antics. It would be comical if he wasn't eating up 6 million in cap space.
In fairness IMAC is an employee of Rogers Sportsnet and is the guy who goes with them just about all the time. Pretty sure he can't say what he really thinks about the team. They and the team through all it's connections, pay IMAC's salary, just like Murphy's
But that said Myers is too valuable now to not be on the team.

Myers game has settled once he was under 18 minutes a game and not doing ALL the PK work, that is until just recently when Soucy and Eichman are hurt.

Last night he was placed with multiple defenders and the EP line is still a fright in their own zone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad