Post-Game Talk: Sharks def. Canucks - 4-3 | Jaws: The Revenge (Only we didn’t get a sweet vacation house)

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Boeser tied for the lead in goals. With fans saying he should sit. The most purest view of why Canucks fans are fickle.

Boeser may hit 50 this year! What a season so far, he’s been a beast around the boards and is hounding after the puck, great resurgence.

Reactions: sting101

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Coach, players, goalie didnt respect the Sharks and expected an easy win. Canucks remembered they are Canucks and did what Canucks do best

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Just weren't ready to start the third and in one minute they'd thrown away the game. Tough loss but give them credit for the late push. Biggest problem out of this game is the need to overplay Hronek and Hughes in the middle of a tough schedule.

Good

Garland - does so much everywhere. Problem is that he goes so individual that his own teammates start watching him rather than breaking to positions where they can take advantage of what he is creating. Late rush was an example. Both Blueger and Hoglander late jumping on the chance, Garland left.

Hughes - always plays his heart out and sets up so much. Brilliant player but we need more people who can take advantage of what he is doing

Bad

deSmith - major reason IMO we lost. Got his positioning screwed up through much of the game. Needed a couple of critical saves but didn't get it this game. Out- goaltended in this game.

Myers - overall was ok but took a totally unnecessary penalty like he did last night. Can't play with that lack of control and his play sagged in the third.

Beauvillier - just about done with this player. Suppose to add some offense but seemingly can't. Hoglander should take his spot. Looked bagged in this game

Mikheyev - skated around, did little, showed nothing on the chances that others generated.

Aman - did little to nothing in this game. Didn't think he looked strong in puck battles.

Others

Miller - not his best game but still three assists. Late miss hurt but after all he's done for this team you had to feel for him. Least he was there to get that attempt.

Boeser - scored twice but also missed some other golden opportunities on the PP. Team was excellent on the PP and that was the biggest reason for Boeser potting in those goals. Just wish he could bring it more in the general run of the play.

Pettersson - thought there were signs in this game of him coming to life. Still mishandled the puck too much but did show better speed on the rush. Needs some help on the wings.

Canucks can not be allowing Pettersson and Hughes to get roughed up. You wonder if the team might be better off getting in some grit to replace the soft wingers who are doing very little.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
My issue with Kuzmenko is that he's really reliant on his linemates and EP & Mikheyev are both below-average 5on5 players right now. So do you just let the trio play themselves out of it or try something different? Or give him completely different linemates?

Gone back and forth here but I think maybe you try Beau/EP/Kuzmenko and see what happens. Try Mikheyev in a depth role, maybe with Blueger on more of a checking line.

I agree, Mikheyev is too high in the lineup. Not enough there consistently for him to be on the "2nd line". And over this past stretch he's been MIA. Just nothing much happening with him at all. Lafferty was useful on that line tonight - getting to pucks first, winning battles. Maybe try him with Kuz and Pete.

The pixie dust has worn off PDG, he's an easy scratch for a game. Mikheyev needs to be in the bottom six. This team needs 2 more top-four defenders and at least one more top-six winger, preferably with size.
anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

Gimme Kuz EP lafferty for some games, Miller and boeser need a winger ideally beau fits there when PDG is slow, but he was there today and wasn't really impressive, hog either but I'd prob give him several games in the top six to gain confidence (and more mins).

Reactions: geebaan

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Boeser may hit 50 this year! What a season so far, he’s been a beast around the boards and is hounding after the puck, great resurgence.
Imagine if he only hits 40, that’s like 8 goals for ever 20 games here on out. This place will
Melt down and we will start seeing threads on the trade forums again. Even though he is playing with Miller in a shut down role.

anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

Gimme Kuz EP lafferty for some games, Miller and boeser need a winger ideally beau fits there when PDG is slow, but he was there today and wasn't really impressive, hog either but I'd prob give him several games in the top six to gain confidence (and more mins).
Pod is the guy for that line, just needs to start rolling again.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Eh, they deserved to win this game. They didn't. Apparently the PDO gods can be against you. They showed some fight and bite after the Petey hit and late in this game. I like that.

I only expected 4 out of 8 points this week given the condensed travel schedule, and that's what they got. Not really a disappointment.

The disappointment is Granlund decimating Hughes-Hronek, putting an exclamation mark on what has been a very concerning downward trend in their defensive play the last couple weeks.

Get Kuz back in. Move on to Anaheim Tuesday.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I read this on twitter - but apparently the Canucks have no more games on Friday for the rest of the year?

Like what?
Zero NHL games on both Tuesday and Thursday of this week is just bonkers. Playing yesterday in Seattle and today in SJ with flight restrictions equaling an extra 1.5 hours travel time is f*cked. How can the players get enough rest? People are all different with their sleep patterns etc., not surprised that the team started slowly.

I think this game shows that they have fight and are a Tocchet team in that they fought back in the third as hard as they did. How many Canuck teams in the last 10 years would have mailed it in after being down 4-2 in the third?

Answer is ALL of them...

Boeser tied for the lead in goals. With fans saying he should sit. The most purest view of why Canucks fans are fickle.
Honest question, who has been saying Brock should sit? I can't recall a single post, article or podcast suggesting Brock should sit.

Reactions: B-rock and calnuck

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Was pretty close to the ice tonight so I'll sum up what I saw:

-That Myers high stick was one of the most brain dead things I've ever seen him do. Tallest guy on the ice and he bats it out of the air? What the actual f*** is going through his mind there?
- It's time for both PDG and Cole to have a day in the press box. Both were useless and Cole sinking any hope of getting back in the game on what is one of the most brutal own goals I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.
- I don't care what Tocchet or EP says, something is tweaked or hurting him. Every time he had to back check he was wincing and laboring when he accelerated. His refusal to shoot unless in the most dire of circumstances has to stop because he is actively f***ing this team right now.
- DeSmith had an ok game. I have no idea why he committed so hard on the Granlund goal but the fact he got past both Hughes and Hronek is embarassing.
- Boeser looked great.
- Miller's ankle is bothering him. It doesn't look like it's too bad but probably bruised. His skating and physicality wasn't as prominent as usual.
- I liked the way they stood up for each other after the hit on EP. We haven't seen a team like this in a long time and that keeps me optimistic about the future that the team is buying in and playing for each other.
- Kuzmenko should not have been a scratch. Tocchet needs to own some of the blame for tonight because that's the stupidest thing he's done in his tenure so far. Absolute glue huffing levels of stupid.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Agreed. This game slowed to a crawl, Kuzmenko’s speed, power, skill & fresh legs would’ve been a welcomed addition.
Or he would have coughed up the puck at the blue-line trying to force a play and the Canucks would have been down 5-2. Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda...you just never know.

The only thing we know is he would have had fresh legs but his effort and energy isn't what got him benched. It was his focus on playing D, being in the right spots for his team-mates and (to paraphrase Tocchet) keeping his head in the game.

Good Kuz would have been amazing in this game, bad Kuz would have made this game even worse.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Eh, they deserved to win this game. They didn't. Apparently the PDO gods can be against you. They showed some fight and bite after the Petey hit and late in this game. I like that.

I only expected 4 out of 8 points this week given the condensed travel schedule, and that's what they got. Not really a disappointment.

The disappointment is Granlund decimating Hughes-Hronek, putting an exclamation mark on what has been a very concerning downward trend in their defensive play the last couple weeks.

Get Kuz back in. Move on to Anaheim Tuesday.
Watching that in real time was mind numbing. I was sitting there thinking "There's no way I just saw that right? RIGHT?"

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Watching that in real time was mind numbing. I was sitting there thinking "There's no way I just saw that right? RIGHT?"
And it's not a one-off incident. It's just kind of emblematic of what's been happening the last couple of weeks. Their defensive play from their best defensemen has been poor.

The efficacy of the bottom-six has kept the Canucks' record respectable in that time. That at least is an encouraging trend.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Just weren't ready to start the third and in one minute they'd thrown away the game. Tough loss but give them credit for the late push. Biggest problem out of this game is the need to overplay Hronek and Hughes in the middle of a tough schedule.

Good

Garland - does so much everywhere. Problem is that he goes so individual that his own teammates start watching him rather than breaking to positions where they can take advantage of what he is creating. Late rush was an example. Both Blueger and Hoglander late jumping on the chance, Garland left.

Hughes - always plays his heart out and sets up so much. Brilliant player but we need more people who can take advantage of what he is doing

Bad

deSmith - major reason IMO we lost. Got his positioning screwed up through much of the game. Needed a couple of critical saves but didn't get it this game. Out- goaltended in this game.

Myers - overall was ok but took a totally unnecessary penalty like he did last night. Can't play with that lack of control and his play sagged in the third.

Beauvillier - just about done with this player. Suppose to add some offense but seemingly can't. Hoglander should take his spot. Looked bagged in this game

Mikheyev - skated around, did little, showed nothing on the chances that others generated.

Aman - did little to nothing in this game. Didn't think he looked strong in puck battles.

Others

Miller - not his best game but still three assists. Late miss hurt but after all he's done for this team you had to feel for him. Least he was there to get that attempt.

Boeser - scored twice but also missed some other golden opportunities on the PP. Team was excellent on the PP and that was the biggest reason for Boeser potting in those goals. Just wish he could bring it more in the general run of the play.

Pettersson - thought there were signs in this game of him coming to life. Still mishandled the puck too much but did show better speed on the rush. Needs some help on the wings.

Canucks can not be allowing Pettersson and Hughes to get roughed up. You wonder if the team might be better off getting in some grit to replace the soft wingers who are doing very little.
Conor Garland is Derek Dorsett in terms of they look super busy yet at the end of the night have usually produced sweet f*** all for their efforts. Dorsett in terms of physicality and Garland offensive production.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Didn't play good enough but at the same time, probably would have won if there was even goaltending.

Boeser tied for the league lead in goals yet continues to frustrate. On one hand, he's always in the right spots which is probably his best attribute as a hockey player but his sniping ability is at best erratic and at worst completely gone. Elite goal scorers don't flub as many chances as he does.

Pettersson still not close to his top form but showed a pulse a few times in this game so that's encouraging to see.

The bottom-4 defense had a pretty good stretch of play earlier this season but they've come back down to earth and Soucy's absence doesn't help. Even with Soucy, this team desperately needs to add a legit top-4 D-man if they want to take the next step. Pushing guys like Cole and Myers down the lineup would do wonders.

That said, not really worried about this one nor the "trend" over the last 10 games or whatever.

Perhaps our quality of competition has been weak so far this year but the alignment of the games and the travel has been brutal, so to me that kind of evens out into an "average" schedule when it comes to difficulty. Therefore, I'm very happy with being 8th in points% in the league at this time.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA

Good

Bad

Others

I thought Myers was easily one of the worst players on the ice tonight. Poor decision after poor decision, poor play after poor play. There's no reason the tallest player on the ice needs to high stick a puck, there's no reason to be taking stupid penalties like the ones he does.
Also add Cole to the Bad list. That own goal was absolutely brutal

Reactions: B-rock

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
No one was holding the zone for sustained pressure. SJ was able to chip it up ice way too often. I understand that this is a tired team that got in at 2am vs one that slept in their own beds last night and had this game circled on their calendar. SJ was able to work harder, which we weren't able to out-talent tonight, almost though, almost.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Didn't play good enough but at the same time, probably would have won if there was even goaltending.

Boeser tied for the league lead in goals yet continues to frustrate. On one hand, he's always in the right spots which is probably his best attribute as a hockey player but his sniping ability is at best erratic and at worst completely gone. Elite goal scorers don't flub as many chances as he does.

Pettersson still not close to his top form but showed a pulse a few times in this game so that's encouraging to see.

The bottom-4 defense had a pretty good stretch of play earlier this season but they've come back down to earth and Soucy's absence doesn't help. Even with Soucy, this team desperately needs to add a legit top-4 D-man if they want to take the next step. Pushing guys like Cole and Myers down the lineup would do wonders.

That said, not really worried about this one nor the "trend" over the last 10 games or whatever.

Perhaps our quality of competition has been weak so far this year but the alignment of the games and the travel has been brutal, so to me that kind of evens out into an "average" schedule when it comes to difficulty. Therefore, I'm very happy with being 8th in points% in the league at this time.
I think at this point it's obvious he's hurt. Tocchet and him can't convince me otherwise. He was visibly wincing on the ice tonight when he was trying to accelerate and his shot has been non existent.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Zero NHL games on both Tuesday and Thursday of this week is just bonkers. Playing yesterday in Seattle and today in SJ with flight restrictions equaling an extra 1.5 hours travel time is f*cked. How can the players get enough rest? People are all different with their sleep patterns etc., not surprised that the team started slowly.

I think this game shows that they have fight and are a Tocchet team in that they fought back in the third as hard as they did. How many Canuck teams in the last 10 years would have mailed it in after being down 4-2 in the third?

Answer is ALL of them...

Honest question, who has been saying Brock should sit? I can't recall a single post, article or podcast suggesting Brock should sit.
Look through the game thread from today. It got brought up a couple times.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

His sniping ability is gone, wholly Molly. He is tied for the lead in goals and on pace for 56 goals. It’s hard to score in the NHL, like super hard. You expecting him to hit 80 goals ?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I still can’t believe we lost. Like you can say oh we didn’t do this, didn’t do that, but we were consistently the better team tonight. Feels like a fluke loss.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
His sniping ability is gone, wholly Molly. He is tied for the lead in goals and on pace for 56 goals. It’s hard to score in the NHL, like super hard. You expecting him to hit 80 goals ?

I didn't say his goal scoring ability is gone, just his ability to snipe / be a dangerous shooting threat.

He deserves credit for the numbers he's put up but at the same time we all know he benefits extremely from playing with elite players like Miller and the PP guys.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I didn't say his goal scoring ability is gone, just his ability to snipe / be a dangerous shooting threat.

He deserves credit for the numbers he's put up but at the same time we all know he benefits extremely from playing with elite players like Miller and the PP guys.
Years and years of watching scrubs play with good players on this team and not scoring. PDG is on a line with the top goal scorer and Miller and isn’t putting up points. Brock is a sniper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad