Confirmed with Link: Sharks close to re-signing Dillon -- UPD signs 5 year extension AAV $3.27m

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
What did I state in our last Dillon contract, $2.75?

I'd go with that and a 3 year deal. I don't believe Dillon's performance warrants a solid top 4 defenseman rank in the NHL yet. With the Shark defense, yeah, but not by much.

Perhaps DW thinks Dillon will grow into one and the long term savings far eclipses the the difference of mine above.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That's where I have a problem. I don't see him lasting in the top four at all. And bottom pairing guys don't deserve five year terms. Especially at that rate.

Feels like our own Sbisa. I just don't like it.

He's at a fairly low price and he's still young. If/when it's time to move on from him, it should be fairly easy to get a good value from him. He's also not nearly as useless as Sbisa.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
This can either go really well or really badly.

On the one hand, we just signed a defenseman who had as many points as Scott Hannan while playing more ice time, with the worst +/- on our defense to a 15 million dollar contract over the next 5 years.

On the other hand, he's 24 I guess so that makes it okay?

I think he'll improve once our D solidifies but hopefully he seriously steps up his game.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
This can either go really well or really badly.

On the one hand, we just signed a defenseman who had as many points as Scott Hannan while playing more ice time, with the worst +/- on our defense to a 15 million dollar contract over the next 5 years.

On the other hand, he's 24 I guess so that makes it okay?

I think he'll improve once our D solidifies but hopefully he seriously steps up his game.

One of my problems is that people seem to think he played well last season, which implies he doesn't need to get any better for this contract to be worthwhile. I disagree.

If you can only get 9 pts in a season, I don't want you on my team. If you can only get 9 pts while being paired with Brent Burns, I -I just can't.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
There's no no-trade clause so even if he don't work out it's not like he can't be moved out for a 7th rounder or something.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
One of my problems is that people seem to think he played well last season, which implies he doesn't need to get any better for this contract to be worthwhile. I disagree.

If you can only get 9 pts in a season, I don't want you on my team. If you can only get 9 pts while being paired with Brent Burns, I -I just can't.

9 pts would be fine if he was a 4th line player playing 10 minutes a night, or a 6-7 D playing 12-15 minutes a night/60 games a season. But to pencil him into the top 4 with this much value for this long, he needs to double his production next year at minimum to make this worthwhile.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
With the way teams throw money (and assets) at bad defenseman, this is a very reasonable deal, especially with the UFA years. Worst case DW could easily get solid picks and prospects from some team buying at a TDL in the future.

I mean, hell, Doug Murray got two 2nd round picks and Brad Stuart currently makes 3.6 million. This is a good deal.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Dillon's point totals may have been poor, but to my eye I didn't see too many negatives to his game. At least not glaring ones. Seemed promising one he gets used to the team and he is integrated better into the gameplan. The whole team was a bit of a dumpster fire last year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Anyone who says Dillon hasn't "earned" this contract is ridiculous. You guys probably didn't pay any attention to Dillon in Dallas but I did and he played two full seasons on their top-pair. But yeah, let's judge him based upon 60 games with a bad new team, most of which was spent with either a rookie or playing on the wrong side or both. Sounds like a plan.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California

That's pretty unsound logic. I mean, we sell hope to ourselves and each other every year on which guy will deliver salvation, but to say that because folk thought he did okay last year he doesn't need to get better is an erroneous implication. You pay for potential, not what you did. You pay for UFA years, too.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
With the way teams throw money (and assets) at bad defenseman, this is a very reasonable deal, especially with the UFA years. Worst case DW could easily get solid picks and prospects from some team buying at a TDL in the future.

I mean, hell, Doug Murray got two 2nd round picks and Brad Stuart currently makes 3.6 million. This is a good deal.

You can get two 2nd round picks for Dillon? Why not go for that then!

Dillon had comparable stats to Stuart. Sounds like you are saying that was a bad deal too.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Anyone who says Dillon hasn't "earned" this contract is ridiculous. You guys probably didn't pay any attention to Dillon in Dallas but I did and he played two full seasons on their top-pair. But yeah, let's judge him based upon 60 games with a bad new team, most of which was spent with either a rookie or playing on the wrong side or both. Sounds like a plan.

Where did Dallas finish during those seasons?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Where did Dallas finish during those seasons?

There's a reason Dillon played on their top pair...their defense sucked. He is what he is...a good #4 defenseman. He got paid as such, and it's a good deal...his underlying stats are good, and using +/- and points to evaluate him is completely wrong since he isn't an offensive defenseman, and +/- is a joke of a stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad