Confirmed with Link: Sharks close to re-signing Dillon -- UPD signs 5 year extension AAV $3.27m

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
There's a reason Dillon played on their top pair...their defense sucked. He is what he is...a good #4 defenseman. He got paid as such, and it's a good deal...his underlying stats are good, and using +/- and points to evaluate him is completely wrong since he isn't an offensive defenseman, and +/- is a joke of a stat.

Vlasic and Braun aren't offensive defenseman and they both put up over 20.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Vlasic and Braun aren't offensive defenseman and they both put up over 20.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure why Dillon is being compared to them? He's a #4 defensive defenseman...Vlasic is a top-end #2 or low-end #1 and Braun is a low-end #2 or a top-end #3

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Even if he's a #5, if the pairing does well and the team actually has quality blue line depth, this is worth doing. I have no problems paying six guys 3-3.5 million to have three solid to good pairs of d-men. If there's any position to overinvest into it's the blue line for me.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Even if he's a #5, if the pairing does well and the team actually has quality blue line depth, this is worth doing. I have no problems paying six guys 3-3.5 million to have three solid to good pairs of d-men. If there's any position to overinvest into it's the blue line for me.

I agree. Especially with a 25-year old Jones who is only transitioning to a starter role in net this season. I would be more than happy to spend the majority of the remaining cap space at 2 defensemen on the FA market.

Vlasic-FA/Braun
Dillon/FA-Burns
FA/Dillon-Braun/FA
Tennyson

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Braun is a top-4 defenseman. Dillon is a top-4 defenseman (not according to me but others). The comparison is fair.

Braun showed that he could drag around Brad Stuart and hold his own on the top pair...I don't think Dillon can do that. I think Braun is better than Dillon, but Dillon is only 24 and has room to grow. I hope he will be able to improve!

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Brenden Dillon ‏@BDillon04 19m19 minutes ago

What a day! Couldnt be happier or more excited to be apart of the @SanJoseSharks for the next 5 years!#SharkTerritory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad