GDT: Sharks @ Avs | Feb. 24th 7 p.m. MST | Pokemon Red vs. Blue

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It's more than that IMO, his decision making in the offensive zone has not been great, and he has not been driving the net.

He's also been caught puck watching defensively at times.

He also went through some stretches when he was not shooting the puck either.

You sir have the burgundy glasses at full power if that's all the issues you seen with his game lately.

I'm really not trying to start a MacKinnon bash session, but hes had his share of youngster struggles in 2016.

Not at all, I expected much of what you listed though with a 3rd year guy getting his first full time look at Center in the NHL.

He has to know by now though that most NHL defensemen he faces are too good to get beat 1 vs 2. Most of the Dmen he faces regularly are too good to get beat head on 1 vs 1 without going wide with speed no matter if you are a center or a winger.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The refs were definetly not on our side last night. Did that poster not see Grigs get his stick chopped out of his hands in the first? Or the obvious too many men penalty? Or how about the 30 picks the Sharks had? Who on the Avs dives now anyways? Landeskog? That dudes got a balance issue he aint diving.

They lost their minds when Iggy drew the call that he scored right after. And per their thread, we were the team interfering on every single shift. Oh and apparently it wasn't too many men because they were just setting picks for Jumbo to curl behind, not actually playing the puck...

But that fanbase over-emphasizes advanced stats, so they under-rate our team immensely and over-rate their own nearly as much. Which is why some of them have a very tough time rationalizing how their powerhouse team could lose to our historically bad team.

Literally no one (except Varly uncharacteristically the other night). They might be the least embellishing team in the NHL. They don't even snap their heads back on high sticks to get the refs attention, like seemingly every other player.

Eh, Landy & Iggy know how to sell calls and make sure that the refs do their jobs.

Should hire Adam Oates in the offseason to be his skills coach.

:handclap: Well played good sir. Well played.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Watching the game last night and Joe Thornton, i was so was so envious. Man i wish we had a player of that caliber.

MacKinnon and Duchene are great talents, but i wish we had a player that could think the game at such a high level like that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not at all, I expected much of what you listed though with a 3rd year guy getting his first full time look at Center in the NHL.

He has to know by now though that most NHL defensemen he faces are too good to get beat 1 vs 2. Most of the Dmen he faces regularly are too good to get beat head on 1 vs 1 without going wide with speed no matter if you are a center or a winger.

Yeah, he seems to play his game and all of that falls into place when he finds a way to get highly motivated or pissed off (Not frustrated).

It's been fun watching the difference the last couple of games. I have no idea what kicked him in the pants, but it worked.

It is interesting how even a hat trick didn't snap him out of it earlier though. He forgot there for a little bit that he can dominate games when he wants to.

Watching the game last night and Joe Thornton, i was so was so envious. Man i wish we had a player of that caliber.

MacKinnon and Duchene are great talents, but i wish we had a player that could think the game at such a high level like that.

Greg has that level of hockey IQ, but no where near the experience. Give it time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It was nice to see the Avs compete with a team that usually skates circles around them. Last 10 mins of the 3rd weren't good and EJ's mistake almost cost us but good game overall.

Matthias looked good in his debut.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Greg has that level of hockey IQ, but no where near the experience. Give it time.

There were lots of puck battles last night where Grigorenko didn't go all in. He was way too easy to play against. He's got good vision, hands and patience with the puck but I understand why Roy is hard on him. There is a little bit of Wolski in how he approaches physical play and competing.

His talent is undeniable. If he ever learns to get out of his comfort zone, he'll realize how much better he can be.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There were lots of puck battles last night where Grigorenko didn't go all in. He was way too easy to play against. He's got good vision, hands and patience with the puck but I understand why Roy is hard on him. There is a little bit of Wolski in how he approaches physical play and competing.

His talent is undeniable. If he ever learns to get out of his comfort zone, he'll realize how much better he can be.

I think you have to throw the word consistently in there somewhere. Hes had some ups and downs in that area. At least there has been good signs of improvement there.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

This.

I was also happy to see his hustle in OT to get the puck back after turning it over.

If he learns to bring that every shift he will be really good.

But this is the kind of change that is the most difficult to achieve, he'll have to fight against his nature.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Grigorenko is nowhere near Thornton and will never even touch him. I've wanted Avs to trade for him in the past, I think he's the type of forward to complete the team on offense.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Eh, Landy & Iggy know how to sell calls and make sure that the refs do their jobs.

I disagree. Both have had a couple plays recently that the opposition thought they sold, but when you looked at them closely they had sticks between their legs and got cork screwed.

Both battle through a tremendous amount of interference every night without dropping to their knees or flinging their head back over any contact. Mack and Duchene too.

They actually don't get a lot of cals because of it. Especially Mack, teams are giving him the Forsberg treatment every night because they can't contain his power/speed game. He's getting very frustrated with it too yelling at refs mos nights. Hopefully he isn't forced to embellish to get calls like Peter was.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Avs don't have the track record to get the benefit of the doubt calls. I'm sure individually guys like Beauch and Iggy get some respect calls but the Avs won't be able to run interference like some get away with.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Nice win, loved the response to EJ's own goal. Pickard was very good again, they might as well leave Berra in SA.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I disagree. Both have had a couple plays recently that the opposition thought they sold, but when you looked at them closely they had sticks between their legs and got cork screwed.

Both battle through a tremendous amount of interference every night without dropping to their knees or flinging their head back over any contact. Mack and Duchene too.

They actually don't get a lot of cals because of it. Especially Mack, teams are giving him the Forsberg treatment every night because they can't contain his power/speed game. He's getting very frustrated with it too yelling at refs mos nights. Hopefully he isn't forced to embellish to get calls like Peter was.

Agreed on MacK and Dutchy. But Landeskog and Iginla have both embellished to make sure that calls were made. Like what did Iggy last night. That was a 100% penalty on Donskoi, but Iggy sold it to make sure it was called in a game that the refs didn't want to call anything in.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Joe Thornton is just an amazing player. As for Grigo I was a big fan of his in junior, was pretty pissed when Habs passed on him for Chucky.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It was nice to see the Avs compete with a team that usually skates circles around them. Last 10 mins of the 3rd weren't good and EJ's mistake almost cost us but good game overall.

Matthias looked good in his debut.
It actually already cost us an ROW and now we lost the tiebreaker with Minny. It could eventually come back and haunt us by the end of the season. We'll see.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It actually already cost us an ROW and now we lost the tiebreaker with Minny. It could eventually come back and haunt us by the end of the season. We'll see.

That part is true.

EJ really needs to be smarter with some of those stretch passes. Far too many icings lately. It's even more frustrating with him because he's actually capable of skating the puck up the ice.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I can't see them sending Picks down now. Roy trusts him a lot. They are going to have to figure something out with Berra. Maybe just leave him in SA.

They have to waive him to keep him there, when his conditioning stint is over.

Rather trade him for a 3rd/4th round pick than waive him.

I don't think that will happen. The whole reason they overpaid for Berra in the first place was because they weren't comfortable with Pickard as a #3 and if they trade Berra now it would mean Martin is the #3 or I guess Will, but Will isn't that good.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I have a feeling that with how much Roy seems to rip the refs, the Avs are definitely not going to be a team that gets many favors on close calls.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Berra's a good goalie, they should be able to get a pick for him if there's any teams looking to improve their backups.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They have to waive him to keep him there, when his conditioning stint is over.

Rather trade him for a 3rd/4th round pick than waive him.

I don't think that will happen. The whole reason they overpaid for Berra in the first place was because they weren't comfortable with Pickard as a #3 and if they trade Berra now it would mean Martin is the #3 or I guess Will, but Will isn't that good.

Oh I know they have to waive him. I guess they could just keep 3 goalies again too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad