GDT: Sharks at Preds, 5PM Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
For utilization, run Vlasic + Braun hard matched against the other teams top line + late game with a goal lead (15ish ES minutes)
And then Dillon EK and Burns Ryan vs lower competition to dominate. Just play the hot hand of the 2 more often. Then they'd be super fresh from slightly lower ice time too.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
When was the last time someone asked Vlasic about problems with his pairing? I honestly do not recall this interview you are talking about.

Also, I am glad you are convinced that Vlasic is fine but I am not. It was quite ok for him to jump into the play when Braun was his partner. But now with EK65 he needs to take a step back and adjust according to let EK65 do what he does best. If you are thinking that this pairing magically gets fixed without Vlasic making any adjustment to his style at all, then I am just not buying it. The pairing is arguably the best pairing in the NHL on paper, but to make it work will require Vlasic not trying to drive the play as much.

I think you are completely glossing over two contributing factors.

1st - PBD system demands that the defense activate and jump into the play. Dillion was up in the play on Pavelski's goal. EK65 was up in the play short-handed when the Pred came back to make it 4-2.

2nd - Vlasic is world class defenseman. I get he is not EK65 when it comes to offensive production but he is also significantly better in that department than most posters on this board give him credit.

You also don't want a critical player on your team always looking to deferring to another player. That is how you create passengers and how a team like the Oilers did some poorly last season. Far too many players looking for McDavid to make the play instead of playing their game.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think you are completely glossing over two contributing factors.

1st - PBD system demands that the defense activate and jump into the play. Dillion was up in the play on Pavelski's goal. EK65 was up in the play short-handed when the Pred came back to make it 4-2.

2nd - Vlasic is world class defenseman. I get he is not EK65 when it comes to offensive production but he is also significantly better in that department than most posters on this board give him credit.

You also don't want a critical player on your team always looking to deferring to another player. That is how you create passengers and how a team like the Oilers did some poorly last season. Far too many players looking for McDavid to make the play instead of playing their game.

What I want is to have them play to their strengths as much as possible. I am not saying Vlasic should stop pinching or taking shots. But that is not his strength. He needs to make better choices when the option exists. i.e EK65. Like you said yourself, Vlasic is never going to match EK65 when it comes to offensive production. Similarly, EK65 is never going to match Vlasic when it comes to playing 2-on-1's or clearing the front of the net.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Kinda made up for that call with high stick on Pavs when it was not his but own teammate with the high stick.

Severe reaction. Reflex?

I wasn't thrilled with Vlasic last night cause I thought he sold it, but there it looks like he's just flinching/protecting himself from seeing a stick come near his head out of his periphery.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I enjoyed the telecast last night. I like Forsland as an announcer but he seemed to bring the best out of Baker too. NBC Sports really has a nice pool of announcers to choose from, despite what the negative Nancy's on the main forum say.

I think he does his research for these games. He watches the games the opponents played, gets all those trivia bits, and it comes out in the form of some very polished commentary.

You had to try the Vlasic-Karlsson experiment. If it isn't working, then move on.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Vlasic's attitude issue is likely overblown. He is definitely trying to do too much at the moment, but we have to remember that he was playing this way for years with Braun and it's hard to overwrite habits. It will take time for him to adjust to EK65 in the same way that EK65 has to adjust. If it becomes an ongoing issue then we can make changes, but for now I think we have the luxury to ride it out a little longer. I don't think the Burns argument was really due to them sucking together and more that the team wanted to spread the talent. They're all world class players so I don't see why things won't work.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Watched a replay of last nights game and at just under 5 minutes left, Johansson was in the high slot and Jones made a massive save. So, yes, he let in 4 goals but he made the save to win us the game. Good job Jonesy.
Go Sharks!!

Jones made a bunch of big saves all game. He was great.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Watched a replay of last nights game and at just under 5 minutes left, Johansson was in the high slot and Jones made a massive save. So, yes, he let in 4 goals but he made the save to win us the game. Good job Jonesy.
Go Sharks!!
Jones had a pretty good game. Despite his low save percentage in the game, I wouldn't put the primary blame on him for any of the goals. Vlasic, and especially Karlsson were the biggest issue defensively. Karlsson needs some lessons on how to defend a player directly in front of the net.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
To me that's the goalie Martin Jones is as a starter, though if he was getting back up # of starts he would be a shut out goalie, but since he's that good he's a starter. Still at the end of the day, he makes the saves to win the game. Which to me is all you really want from a goalie.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Jones had a pretty good game. Despite his low save percentage in the game, I wouldn't put the primary blame on him for any of the goals. Vlasic, and especially Karlsson were the biggest issue defensively. Karlsson needs some lessons on how to defend a player directly in front of the net.

It is funny, Karlsson is pretty amazing on defending the rush and 1 on 1 battles, but looked absolutely lost in front of the net on the Forsberg goal.

Reactions: Solmors

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Jamie Baker was so much better last night. Not sure if it was because of John Forslund or just the fact that it was a national televised game. Not his biggest fan as a color commentator with Hanh but he did pretty awesome last night.

I noticed this as well, he on top of his game last night!

Reactions: McDeez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad