GDT: Sharks at Preds, 5PM Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Funny because everyone said he would slow it down and not care as much now that he got his big contract. Did the opposite, he feels like he belongs here and cares deeply about SJ. So far an awesome move from DW.
Everyone??? While I was always on the side of extending Kane and never complained about his contract, I believe majority of our posters were ok with it too. There was only a minority who did not like the Kane AAV and re-signing.

But again. lets wait and see. I don't think Kane will be a PPG player by the end of this season but I was just hoping for 55-60 points from him to begin with, considering all the other traits he brings to the table.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It seems vlasic has let the money go yo his head. He got paid the big boy money so now he thinks he is better then what he actually is.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
It seems vlasic has let the money go yo his head. He got paid the big boy money so now he thinks he is better then what he actually is.

If Vlasic is a problem (IF), and it's potentially a choice of him or Karlsson, you trade Vlasic without hesitation. While Vlasic may not be truly replaceable, you can still get pretty close for less money. As for Karlsson, he's completely irreplaceable. So as much as I like Vlasic, I'd eject him into the sun before I would even consider not re-signing Karlsson.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Everyone??? While I was always on the side of extending Kane and never complained about his contract, I believe majority of our posters were ok with it too. There was only a minority who did not like the Kane AAV and re-signing.

But again. lets wait and see. I don't think Kane will be a PPG player by the end of this season but I was just hoping for 55-60 points from him to begin with, considering all the other traits he brings to the table.

Everyone whos not a Sharks fan was laughing at us. Yes haha with the dramatic "???"

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think Kane is going to have the best season of his career, and I don't think we will regret his contract for awhile, unless he gets injured of course. He's clearly happier here, clearly more motivated, and has a much better supporting cast. He's not 'the guy' anymore either, and that can really have a big effect on some guys. I didn't laugh about Kane's contract. Sometimes you have to take risks, you can't just magically aquire the exact player you want, sometimes you have to take a chance on the player thats available. Kane was available, he's a perfect fit skills wise for our team, he's young, it made sense to me.

Honestly, if we win a cup this year, and the team tanks for the next 7 after that, I don't really give a crap. Get a damn cup then worry about the budget.

Reactions: SJGoalie32

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Everyone whos not a Sharks fan was laughing at us. Yes haha with the dramatic "???"

Every non shark fan was also laughing at us for signing a 34 year old thornton to a 7 mil contract. They know nothing about this team.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Looking good, just saw this posted, not sure if it includes last nights game.
Tableau Public

Edit: Quite a few graphs posted today by Sean Tierney that look good for the sharks

Last edited:

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Brendon McDillon is the best partner Karlsson can have on this team. At the beginning of the season I thought Karlsson and Vlasic would work well and it’s worked well driving the play but has clearly not worked generating great offensive chances. That’s in a large part due to Vlasic thinking he’s the second coming of Nick Lidstrom. The offense dies on his stick and he’s far too aggressive leaving Karlsson in a more defensive position. Dillon on the other hand keeps things simple and knows to let Karlsson do what he does best. As soon as they switched the pairs in the 3rd EK65 looked the best he has yet. He was going end to end getting clean zone entries and creating chances and much more involved offensively. Look for EK65 to breakout next game if they keep him with Dillon.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Vlasic and Braun have their chemistry built already. Let salty pickles have his Braun back. I like McDillon with Karlsson.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Since you made the post here, on our board, I assumed you meant everyone as in everyone on the Sharks board. Plus, I couldn't care less about what fans from other teams were saying.

And some times I couldn't care less about what some of our own fans are saying .... not redirected at you so you know.

:)

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Since you made the post here, on our board, I assumed you meant everyone as in everyone on the Sharks board. Plus, I couldn't care less about what fans from other teams were saying.

And some times I couldn't care less about what some of our own fans are saying .... not redirected at you so you know.

:)

Ah haha makes sense. Immediately when he signed here all my Canadian friends (mostly Jets fans) were ripping on me. Jumbo is the one who verified Kane, Jumbo wouldnt lie to us. Im happy hes here

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I think it’s obvious that he views himself as the big dog and Doughty, Karlsson or anyone else is the sidekick. When Marleau left it didn’t seem like Vlasic cared at all when asked.

He had some strong words about Demelo and Tierney getting traded during camp.

I think we're taking this Big Heady Eddy thing too far. At least this early in the season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That Dillon goal, lmao!

So happy with EK9!

Hopefully PDB wises up on the D pairings after last night...

I have always though that Dillon was a high end #5 and a passable #4 with the right partner. I think Dillon-Karlsson is a very good 2nd pairing for us. Ryan-Burns have played like a legit 1st pair for most of the 9 games this season. The problem is going to be utilization of these pairs.

PDB definitely likes riding his top players. With Dillon-Karlsson he will be in a spot where he pretty much will end up icing all 3 pairings for about the same time even though Vlasic-Braun probably need to be sheltered the most. I am not sure if he likes giving Ryan and Dillon that much time on the ice because we have already seen this season that he is not using Ryan as much as he should be.

To put this into context, here is the average TOI/GP.

Ryan: 11:55
Dillon: 14:20
Braun: 19:02
Vlasic: 23:31
Burns: 23:49
EK65: 25:26

So Ryan, who has been pretty steady has averaged only 11:55 whereas superstar Melker has averaged 11:30. That is just poor utilization of Ryan and over-utlization (PP) for Vlasic and Burns/EK65 (PK). It is hard to argue that Braun should be playing almost 5 more minutes per game than Dillon and 7+ more minutes than Ryan.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I think as the season progresses and our identity strengthens DeBoer will add ice time to those players, DeBoer embolds team strength than star players, so I expect this to smooth out. But, if we're in a big game like the predators of course.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
I think Kane is going to have the best season of his career, and I don't think we will regret his contract for awhile, unless he gets injured of course. He's clearly happier here, clearly more motivated, and has a much better supporting cast. He's not 'the guy' anymore either, and that can really have a big effect on some guys. I didn't laugh about Kane's contract. Sometimes you have to take risks, you can't just magically aquire the exact player you want, sometimes you have to take a chance on the player thats available. Kane was available, he's a perfect fit skills wise for our team, he's young, it made sense to me.

Honestly, if we win a cup this year, and the team tanks for the next 7 after that, I don't really give a crap. Get a damn cup then worry about the budget.

It's why I haven't been pulling my hair out over the Giants' recent downfall.

3 WS titles in 5 years soothes the nerves, and if they could have just had an effective closer in 2016, they would have at least beat out the Cubs and played for another NL pennant.

Totally worth a few years of rebuilding. Lord knows plenty of teams spend years in the tank without getting a championship.

Kane, Pavelski, Couture, Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic....that is looking real good for this year. If that took overpaying for some contracts that may be a hindrance a few years down the road, so be it.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Jamie Baker was so much better last night. Not sure if it was because of John Forslund or just the fact that it was a national televised game. Not his biggest fan as a color commentator with Hanh but he did pretty awesome last night.

I enjoyed the telecast last night. I like Forsland as an announcer but he seemed to bring the best out of Baker too. NBC Sports really has a nice pool of announcers to choose from, despite what the negative Nancy's on the main forum say.

Reactions: Phu and McDeez

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He had some strong words about Demelo and Tierney getting traded during camp.

I think we're taking this Big Heady Eddy thing too far. At least this early in the season.

No shit. From the "Kane has an ego and is lazy!" naval gazing to this nonsense is pretty stupid. He is literally the same player he has always been. He jumped up in the play a lot last year too.

Reactions: mooncalf

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Got these from an article in The Athletic.

What a difference in attitudes between the two of them. Vlasic appears to need an attitude adjustment to do what is best for the team.
To be fair, he is being asked a question that calls him out for being on the ice for the majority of the other team's scoring. I could see how that type of question could make an athlete bristle.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Literally the same interview he's given the last few years.

When was the last time someone asked Vlasic about problems with his pairing? I honestly do not recall this interview you are talking about.

Also, I am glad you are convinced that Vlasic is fine but I am not. It was quite ok for him to jump into the play when Braun was his partner. But now with EK65 he needs to take a step back and adjust according to let EK65 do what he does best. If you are thinking that this pairing magically gets fixed without Vlasic making any adjustment to his style at all, then I am just not buying it. The pairing is arguably the best pairing in the NHL on paper, but to make it work will require Vlasic not trying to drive the play as much.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Put Vlasic back with Braun and Dillon with Karlsson already, Pete.

Peeeete...

5bc5bf3724000031025793fa.png

Reactions: Led Zappa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad