Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire McNally from Vancouver for #210 pick (UPD: signed to 2 yr contract)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Seems like an insignificant thing to discuss regarding whether DW gets credit for it. He doesn't get credit for this until McNally proves himself. If McNally ends up to be nothing, it's a 7th round pick lost. We'll just say that it's Tyler Kennedy's fault for not getting the Isles to the finals to make that pick better.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't mind if it was speculation or rumors or whatnot. I just wasn't following the story and genuinely asking.

Was that potential disinterest in pro hockey a reason Vancouver traded him?

DW swoops in, gets him to take some summer school classes and sends him straight to development camp?

Yea, I remember hearing that Vancouver was having quite a bit of trouble getting him to sign and Gerbefied mentioned somewhere in the thread that there was talks of him going back to school next year even though he wasn't eligible for a 5th year of college hockey.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I don't mind if it was speculation or rumors or whatnot. I just wasn't following the story and genuinely asking.

Was that potential disinterest in pro hockey a reason Vancouver traded him?

DW swoops in, gets him to take some summer school classes and sends him straight to development camp?

I don't know where the speculation about him not wanting to play pro hockey came from but the issues with Vancouver seemed to start a couple of years ago when they were pushing him to turn pro when he was suspended and him deciding to stay in school instead.

He requested & was denied a 5th year of eligibility. I'd speculate he wasn't all that interested in signing with VAN at that point so they moved him for what they could.

As 210 mentioned much earlier in this thread DW likely had a pretty good idea on his chances of getting McNally under contract.

Edit: Looking a bit further after McNally's college career was officially over ( that was confirmed some time towards the end of May) Benning said that VAN wasn't going to sign him and instead let him go to FA so again, they got what they could but I still don't know where the idea that he didn't want to play pro hockey came from.

Last edited:

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Hmm… When you guys put it like that, it sounds like he was avoiding Vancouver at all cost.

I don't know what makes kids come to those decisions, but he sure seems to have leveraged his way out from under them.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
DW just treated him like he was one of his kids. You are going to summer school and thats all there is to it!

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Seems like an insignificant thing to discuss regarding whether DW gets credit for it. He doesn't get credit for this until McNally proves himself. If McNally ends up to be nothing, it's a 7th round pick lost. We'll just say that it's Tyler Kennedy's fault for not getting the Isles to the finals to make that pick better.

I feel like there is at least his positive asset control. In the sense that he'd probably be a pretty sought after college FA and DW got ahead of that by paying attention.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
If he becomes a regular NHL'er, absolutely.

Even if he doesn't, he just traded a 7th for a former 4th who has been seasoned in the NCAA and looks very promising. I couldn't think of a much better way to spend a 7th if you're looking for near future depth.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Even if he doesn't, he just traded a 7th for a former 4th who has been seasoned in the NCAA and looks very promising. I couldn't think of a much better way to spend a 7th if you're looking for near future depth.

It's a good gamble to take but he doesn't get credit for anything unless the player pans out. It's still results-oriented at the end of the day. Right now, this is a nothing deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad