Post-Game Talk: Sharks 4, Penguins 0 - A Special Teams ****Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Please get a new GM and coach. These guys are stale.

Can the Pens just....move everyone to Seattle...and then do an entry draft for here? The expansion teams get to make essentially fantasy teams with the ridiculous rules.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
17-18 team was still easily in the playoffs.

And played the Caps, the cup winners to a coin flip of a series.

I'll take my chances with a 17-18 team.

Everyone was cold except for Sid and Guentzel. And Letang was bad, Got some horrible reffing that didn't go our way.

This team is better than the 17-18 team easily if you take away Johnson.

Letang is Great again, McCann/Bleuegr>>>>soft Brassard
Murray is better

Actually, the difference between this team and the 2017-2018 team is Geno went god mode with HGH for 2 months. Until he did that, the playoffs were very much in doubt.

I was going to write 'I don't see anyone going god mode', but I think the more accurate thing to write is 'Sid is going God mode right now, but it doesn't make a difference in terms of how his line looks in games against top teams'.

Reactions: EightyOne

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sorry are you going to totally disregard the performance of the players I mentioned? It's a big (in my opinion dominant) factor.

We do miss Daley.

Cole... Who cares

Bonino we miss too.

Hags... We'll see his impact on the defending champs. He certainly hasn't won anyone a game in 2018-2019 so far

Cole for Johnson was a bigger downgrade than 3C.

And, I asked WHO is the Hags, not can we have Hags back. There's a difference.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
People who say “it’s not just JJ” are right, but also downplaying the fine line between winning and losing. That 2016 team was the best team in the NHL and was very close to not even making the finals. As good as they were, they would not have won the Cup with a defensive anchor like Johnson playing serious minutes.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You overpaid.
200.gif

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Cole for Johnson was a bigger downgrade than 3C.

And, I asked WHO is the Hags, not can we have Hags back. There's a difference.
Who is Kessel? Who is hornquvist? Who is sheary? Absolutely nothing on wings. Cole -> Johnson isnt the biggest problem. Not top 5

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Who is Kessel? Who is hornquvist? Who is sheary? Absolutely nothing on wings. Cole -> Johnson isnt the biggest problem. Not top 5

Penguins have a lottery team level defense this year in terms of goals and especially high danger chances against. This is an outlier from the previous 4 years. What has changed? Schultz got hurt, JR didn’t replace him, and instead added the worst defenseman in the East to play a bunch of minutes.

Reactions: JackFr and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Did I say that having 12M in RW's who don't fit in the top 6 isn't a problem?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Penguins have a lottery team level defense this year in terms of goals and especially high danger chances against. This is an outlier from the previous 4 years. What has changed? Schultz got hurt, JR didn’t replace him, and instead added the worst defenseman in the East to play a bunch of minutes.

The Pens WITH EVERYONE HEALTHY only have 3 defensemen who for sure would be starting on a higher end playoff team.

Johnson? Dear god no.
Pets, Cough Drop, Ruh? No, no, no.
THIS YEAR'S Maatta? Nope. Not even him, I'm afraid.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
This JJ stuff is exhausting. They just got thoroughly beat down for 60 minutes, and JJ is the one to beat up? Yeah him and Ruh royally f***ed up on the one SJ PP goal, but man, I saw a LOT of passengers tonight. A LOT of players not giving a damn out there. And that’s something we’ve seen all year. Empoleon is right, JJ blows, but their problems run much deeper than that.

First and foremost, Sullivan clearly doesn’t trust Murray. I know he let in a couple cupcakes last game, but his numbers have been pretty good after his funk at the beginning of the year. But this isn’t the first time Sullivan has handled Murray in a weird way this season, and all it leads me to believe now is that Sullivan doesn’t trust him.

Special teams are an absolute disaster. They can’t keep the puck out of their net no matter if they have four or five skaters. And for the most part, Sullivan has stuck with the same group! I know he made some changes tonight, but honestly, I won’t be surprised when the normal unit is back together again before long. If I didn’t know better, I’d think that Danny Smith was the special teams coach for this team.

We aren’t getting hardly any even strength production or much out of our bottom six. We’ve already beat the Kessel/Horny dead horse, but pretty much no one on the bottom two lines are doing anything right now. For all the moves they’ve made, their lack of depth is sad.

This team has problems and they are many. JJ is definitely an issue, but they have a lot of things that they need to address. There’s several people in the organization from the top down that need to take a serious look in the mirror. They have not been good enough for some time.

HornyHags

May 13, 2017
People who say “it’s not just JJ” are right, but also downplaying the fine line between winning and losing. That 2016 team was the best team in the NHL and was very close to not even making the finals. As good as they were, they would not have won the Cup with a defensive anchor like Johnson playing serious minutes.

I don't know... Maatta was pretty s*** that year, with major minutes, and they still did it.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Biggest reason for Pens downfall is JR went from trading for impact players like Hagelin, Bonino, Kessel, Daley to trading for watered down vanilla bums like Sheahan, Oleksiak, Pearson etc....He's the biggest culprit for this team's predicament, it all starts with him!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This JJ stuff is exhausting. They just got thoroughly beat down for 60 minutes, and JJ is the one to beat up? Yeah him and Ruh royally ****ed up on the one SJ PP goal, but man, I saw a LOT of passengers tonight. A LOT of players not giving a damn out there. And that’s something we’ve seen all year. Empoleon is right, JJ blows, but their problems run much deeper than that.

First and foremost, Sullivan clearly doesn’t trust Murray. I know he let in a couple cupcakes last game, but his numbers have been pretty good after his funk at the beginning of the year. But this isn’t the first time Sullivan has handled Murray in a weird way this season, and all it leads me to believe now is that Sullivan doesn’t trust him.

Special teams are an absolute disaster. They can’t keep the puck out of their net no matter if they have four or five skaters. And for the most part, Sullivan has stuck with the same group! I know he made some changes tonight, but honestly, I won’t be surprised when the normal unit is back together again before long. If I didn’t know better, I’d think that Danny Smith was the special teams coach for this team.

We aren’t getting hardly any even strength production or much out of our bottom six. We’ve already beat the Kessel/Horny dead horse, but pretty much no one on the bottom two lines are doing anything right now. For all the moves they’ve made, their lack of depth is sad.

This team has problems and they are many. JJ is definitely an issue, but they have a lot of things that they need to address. There’s several people in the organization from the top down that need to take a serious look in the mirror. They have not been good enough for some time.

We saw first hand how big of a difference going from Scuderi to Daley made immediately after it happened. There is no over exaggerating how big of a problem this guy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad