Post-Game Talk: Sharks 3 @ Canucks 2 | 3/3/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
MS - agree on Granlund. He had a good first game I thought but what I've seen of hte last couple haven't been impressive. That line last night in the first was all Virtanen and some Baertschi.

Horvat....I haven't been that impressed with him this year on the defensive side of the puck. No doubt he's getting some bad luck but he also hasn't been very good at time. I like how he can make defenders back off him as he enters the zone by handling the puck at speed but he has some major growth to do yet.

Etem is Etem. He's waiver fodder.

Miller... if the "plan" was to bring Markstrom along to a starters role by next year as insinuated (and maybe even stated) now is a perfect time for him to be getting the bulk of the games. He should be starting 2 to every 1 of Miller.

Sbisa...guy is a magician. He can turn time and space into pressure and a turnover with the snap of his fingers.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think if you look at Sbisa's body of work in Vancouver there is an arc there. He is getting better all the time. He has sometimes played entire good games. It's sort of unfair to judge his game based on a season where the D has been forced into slots so much. Sbisa would be ideally toiling on the third pairing, learning his craft. He is exposed when pushed into higher pairings.

Hutton pushed Sbisa into the background this season, as a rookie. Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Sbisa are going to be regulars next season. The other spots are TBD. I doubt Hamhuis figures into the mix. Really, add a guy like Gunnarsson and a prospect/rookie and the defense doesn't look hopeless. Not deep but credible. Injuries are always a primary concern, of course.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think if you look at Sbisa's body of work in Vancouver there is an arc there. He is getting better all the time. He has sometimes played entire good games. It's sort of unfair to judge his game based on a season where the D has been forced into slots so much. Sbisa would be ideally toiling on the third pairing, learning his craft. He is exposed when pushed into higher pairings.

Hutton pushed Sbisa into the background this season, as a rookie. Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Sbisa are going to be regulars next season. The other spots are TBD. I doubt Hamhuis figures into the mix. Really, add a guy like Gunnarsson and a prospect/rookie and the defense doesn't look hopeless. Not deep but credible. Injuries are always a primary concern, of course.

Sbisa is just a bad player.

He's Andrew Alberts making $3.6 million. If he was a #7 defender getting $800k, whatever. And yeah he has been a little better this season. But he still stinks.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sbisa is 26 years old...sometimes he plays an entire good game is quite literally the lowest hurdle a 26 year old player in the NHL can jump. Let alone one with 400 games under his belt.

OfficialHockeyTalk*

Sbisa is just a bad player.

He's Andrew Alberts making $3.6 million. If he was a #7 defender getting $800k, whatever. And yeah he has been a little better this season. But he still stinks.

sbisa and alberts are two different players....not even close to alike

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
1 - Did Gaunce play, and if so how was he?

2 - Were the fans giving Benning a hard time.

Walked to Bondi beach yesterday. Reason why it's world famous. Great scenery, in both senses!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sbisa is 26 years old...sometimes he plays an entire good game is quite literally the lowest hurdle a 26 year old player in the NHL can jump. Let alone one with 400 games under his belt.

No kidding. :laugh:

An entire good game, occasionally? Why aren't we paying him $5 million?

sbisa and alberts are two different players....not even close to alike

They're the same player.

A no-talent banging defender who is a possession black hole but occasionally throws a big hit. Sbisa might skate a little better but Alberts was a bit less dumb and more aware of his limitations. Both suck equally and are ineffective at both ends of the rink.

OfficialHockeyTalk*

No kidding. :laugh:

An entire good game, occasionally? Why aren't we paying him $5 million?

They're the same player.

A no-talent banging defender who is a possession black hole but occasionally throws a big hit. Sbisa might skate a little better but Alberts was a bit less dumb and more aware of his limitations. Both suck equally and are ineffective at both ends of the rink.

sbisa a top 4 defenseman
alberts is a 7th defenceman and more of a ahl guy

yeah not close

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
sbisa a top 4 defenseman

yeah not close

Sbisa isn't even a top 4 D-man on a bad blueline right now. He actually is 7th in average icetime among the D-men this year. They are actually playing him more as a third pairing guy and he still sucks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
sbisa a top 4 defenseman

yeah not close

:whaaa?:

What?

On what planet is Sbisa a top-4 defender? Guy is a crappy #6-7 defender. Gets played like a #5-6 partly because the coach is an idiot and partly because there are few other options.

He's total trash even as a depth player.

:laugh:

OfficialHockeyTalk*

:whaaa?:

What?

On what planet is Sbisa a top-4 defender? Guy is a crappy #6-7 defender. Gets played like a #5-6 partly because the coach is an idiot and partly because there are few other options.

He's total trash even as a depth player.

:laugh:

on a stacked team hes a 5-6 guy, but on the canucks hes a top 4 d

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
on a stacked team hes a 5-6 guy, but on the canucks hes a top 4 d

On the canucks he is averaging less than 18 minutes a game.

That is less than:

Edler
Tanev
Hamhuis
Hutton
Weber
Bartkowski

The last two on that list are no more than #7 guys.

as someone said...on a stacked team he's waived. Or that stacked team is in the KHL.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
sbisa a top 4 defenseman

yeah not close

Sbisa is a 7th defenseman who has been forced to be a top 4. Mishandling his role doesn't actually make him a #4. Emerson Etem plays on the top line with the Sedins. Is he a 1st line winger?

OfficialHockeyTalk*

On the canucks he is averaging less than 18 minutes a game.

That is less than:

Edler
Tanev
Hamhuis
Hutton
Weber
Bartkowski

The last two on that list are no more than #7 guys.

as someone said...on a stacked team he's waived. Or that stacked team is in the KHL.

i wouldnt look at stats when the coach is misusing our players

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Sbisa would be ideally 22 years old, exempt from waivers, on an ELC and bouncing between Utica and Vancouver toiling as a 6/7/8 D-man.

Instead, we have gifted this guy a roster position and am paying him 3.6M AAV to learn the ropes and to "hopefully" become a top 4 d-man.

If I were Luca, I'd be laughing my ass off all the way to the bank.

Money, age, contract, salary, skill, hockey IQ...

It's all wrong for Sbisa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad