Sharks 2015 Summer Prospect Scrimmage 7/9

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
any comments about Karlis Cukste and Rudolfs Ballcers?

Jevpavlovs looked good right?

Jevpalovs was really good. Not much to say about Cukste or Balcers other than that Balcers is real speedy and Cukste had an uneventful game which is probably a good thing.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
In the second half, Meier looked like he got comfortable and had better linemates, and after that he started to play like he can; he loves to power down the wing and cut to the net and he's pretty damn good at controlled zone entries.

Meier isnt a playmaker and so definitely benefits from having them on his line. He's not as flashy as probably a lot of Top 10 picks but he is absolutely tenacious on the forecheck and is very hard to get the puck from - he uses his body well to protect the puck.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Do you think any of the young guys (aside from Tierney) gets a start in the first game of the season for the Sharks?

Or do they need to prove themselves further for the Barracuda?

While DeBoer & DW talk a good game saying "everyone has to earn their spot" the simple fact is that the 'young' players will have to severely outplay the 12 (13 if you want to count Tierney) forwards ahead of them to make the opening night roster and unless there's a trade of an unexpected injury I don't expect more than one of them to stick.

The guys I think that have a shot of sticking are Goldobin, Jevpalovs, Donskoi, Goodrow & Carpenter...they all play very different games so it'll depend on what kind of role the coaches want to fill.

I don't think the coaches will hesitate to bring players up if someone isn't playing up to expectations but as of right now it's going to be a very hard roster to crack.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
While DeBoer & DW talk a good game saying "everyone has to earn their spot" the simple fact is that the 'young' players will have to severely outplay the 12 (13 if you want to count Tierney) forwards ahead of them to make the opening night roster and unless there's a trade of an unexpected injury I don't expect more than one of them to stick.

The guys I think that have a shot of sticking are Goldobin, Jevpalovs, Donskoi, Goodrow & Carpenter...they all play very different games so it'll depend on what kind of role the coaches want to fill.

I don't think the coaches will hesitate to bring players up if someone isn't playing up to expectations but as of right now it's going to be a very hard roster to crack.

And I have no issues with that. Injuries will happen. We will be seeing those players this year.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
And I have no issues with that. Injuries will happen. We will be seeing those players this year.

Yep & for me I think having these guys starting in the AHL (even if I think Sommer is terrible at his job) is best for their development.

Also, it's too bad O'Regan seems to be heading back to school because a top line of Goldobin-O'Regan-Jevpalovs (or swap Jevs & O'Regan) for the SJB would be awesome!

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Yep & for me I think having these guys starting in the AHL (even if I think Sommer is terrible at his job) is best for their development.

Also, it's too bad O'Regan seems to be heading back to school because a top line of Goldobin-O'Regan-Jevpalovs (or swap Jevs & O'Regan) for the SJB would be awesome!
Do you think O'regan has a higher ceiling than tierney? I've only watched him a few times and while I think hes a quicker player tierney will have him on vision and passing etc. but who knows.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Do you think O'regan has a higher ceiling than tierney? I've only watched him a few times and while I think hes a quicker player tierney will have him on vision and passing etc. but who knows.

Well, I think Tierney's ceiling is a middle 6 center and I think that could be O'Regan's as well though I still think he'll be moved to W if he plays in the NHL.

I think O'Regan is a better skater and his hands and vision are probably as good as Tierney's but I don't think his hockey sense is quite as good. Defensively, while O'Regan is fine he isn't on Tierney's level. Tierney also has the size advantage between the two.

Tierney's hockey sense (obviously combined with his skill) is what separates him from the pack and while I really like O'Regan I think Tierney will likely be the better NHLer.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Well, I think Tierney's ceiling is a middle 6 center and I think that could be O'Regan's as well though I still think he'll be moved to W if he plays in the NHL.

I think O'Regan is a better skater and his hands and vision are probably as good as Tierney's but I don't think his hockey sense is quite as good. Defensively, while O'Regan is fine he isn't on Tierney's level. Tierney also has the size advantage between the two.

Tierney's hockey sense (obviously combined with his skill) is what separates him from the pack and while I really like O'Regan I think Tierney will likely be the better NHLer.

Tierney has surprisingly good hands. He's not deking people out of their jocks but his first move usual gets him out of the way of most stick checks.

I agree that tierney will likely go higher but I want o'regan to make it.

down_in_front

Aug 2, 2005
Meier isnt a playmaker and so definitely benefits from having them on his line. He's not as flashy as probably a lot of Top 10 picks but he is absolutely tenacious on the forecheck and is very hard to get the puck from - he uses his body well to protect the puck.

I can see why the sharks scouts fell in love with Meier. It's not that flashy dangle top 10 pick it's more meat and potato pro skill set that sets him apart and when i say skill set i mean SKILL SET. I was sitting on the glass so it was harder to follow the team play but from the low viewing angle I could see when the puck was off the ice. There was a play when Meier self chipped over the defensemens stick and layed a sauser pass across the crease only to have his linemate whiff on the open net. He will be fun to watch at camp when he has pro linemates.

Arkansas Shark

Fire DW
May 23, 2010
Little Rock
Rod, Donskoi and Goldobin all impressed me based on what's already been posted above. Rod and Donskoi were active and it seemed like every time Goldobin had the puck on his stick something good happened.
Mier showed flashes of his ability and is a much better skater than what scouting reports suggested. He's no Grabner by any means but he's defintely not pulling a trailer like Douglas Murray. A couple times in the neutral zone he found another gear to carry the puck into the zone, which he was very effective at. He also used his frame to shield the puck and drive the net, another good thing.

He's so physically mature compared to his peers just by stature alone.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
My only knock on Goldobin based on what I watched is that when he doesn't have the puck on his stick, or when he's in the defensive zone, he just doesn't seem to be fully engaged, tenacious, whatever you want to call it.

He doesn't seem to be giving it 100% by my eye unless he has the puck. I could be completely wrong and I'm no professional scout, but to me it definitely seems like he needs to be coached still on being completely engaged for 100% of his shifts regardless of whether he has the puck or not.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
My only knock on Goldobin based on what I watched is that when he doesn't have the puck on his stick, or when he's in the defensive zone, he just doesn't seem to be fully engaged, tenacious, whatever you want to call it.

He doesn't seem to be giving it 100% by my eye unless he has the puck. I could be completely wrong and I'm no professional scout, but to me it definitely seems like he needs to be coached still on being completely engaged for 100% of his shifts regardless of whether he has the puck or not.

He seems to be thinking a lot when he's in the defensive zone. I'm sure he wants to get better at it but it probably doesn't come natural for him. He had a nice defensive zone steal but I doubt he's gonna be the type to go blocking shots. If his dzone game ever gets good, it's gonna be more about stickwork and anticipation.

I agree, he needs to hustle more though. A little extra jump would help him a lot in the defensive zone.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
So is the Sharks' website gonna have any highlights or any more player interviews? I'm a little surprised at the minimal coverage. Last year there were around 10 interviews.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

That was my take as well, and why I didn't rank him higher. His style of play last night seemed very "exhibition game-ish" (between the leg moves, etc.) so he may not have been giving it his all, but *if* that is how he approached the game in general I could see him not being successful in the NHL. He won't be able to out-skill guys who out-will and out-work him.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Hertl looked the same way to me when he first got here. These aren't exactly teammates he's working with here. I'm in wait and see mode. Even Sommer said he's got work to do in the defensive end.

I'm really looking forward to the shot I expect him to see sometime this year.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Who is Rod's NHL comparable? The descriptions suggest to me Antoine Roussel. Close?

Hopefully without Roussel's, ummm ... erratic nature.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I also want to add that I was highly entertained by the 3v3 and Burns and Thornton are going to absolutely murder people on it.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
I can see why the sharks scouts fell in love with Meier. It's not that flashy dangle top 10 pick it's more meat and potato pro skill set that sets him apart and when i say skill set i mean SKILL SET. I was sitting on the glass so it was harder to follow the team play but from the low viewing angle I could see when the puck was off the ice. There was a play when Meier self chipped over the defensemens stick and layed a sauser pass across the crease only to have his linemate whiff on the open net. He will be fun to watch at camp when he has pro linemates.
Completely agree.
I mean I don't like they left the BPA available on the board, Rantanen.....but as far as I'm concerned he was a better pick than anyone picked outside of the top 10, for this team at least. He may very well be the more effective player for this team than Rantanen as well.
I now want them to reunite Jumbo and Burns and he can become the new Hertl, holy **** that'd be awesome.

Who is Rod's NHL comparable? The descriptions suggest to me Antoine Roussel. Close?

Hopefully without Roussel's, ummm ... erratic nature.

Yehh Ott/Roussel, if we're really lucky and he develops some offense, a bigger swiss Marchand:scared::scared:

Matalvatz

Jun 19, 2007

Meier was with Tierney and Donskoi in the second half. I don't think he was with them in the first half. And yes, the above quote is absolutely accurate. He has a motor on him, and he has a knack for where to be when he is around the slot. Tierney spotted him a couple of times but couldn't connect. He seems defensively responsible too.

Some other notes:

Tierney looked head and shoulders above everyone else, naturally because he has NHL experience. I don't see how he doesn't permanently become at least our fourth line center.

Goldobin definitely has excellent hands, but he doesn't always make the right decisions with the puck. He turned it over a few times trying to make drop passes and such. His shootout move was smooth and simple.

Sadowy (#59) really stood out to me all night long. He was constantly driving the net hard, making strong moves with the puck, getting open in the slot. He was just working super hard all night.

Mirco Mueller looked cool and calm with the puck compared to the other defensemen. He also seems to have a mean streak...in the first half when no one else was being very physical, he was - he seemed annoyed that other players even attempted to touch his puck.

McNally seemed pretty steady. I didn't notice him that much, which I guess is a good thing for a dman. Roy seems confident with the puck. He was one of the few dmen that skated the puck out of the zone on either side.

Herbst (G) sucked. He looked like he was moving in mud, and he let a couple of soft ones in.

Something I noticed is that the dmen didn't really put up point shots, nor did they skate the puck out of the zone. Most of the transitions were handled by the forwards, starting all the way in the dzone. There were also a lot of stretch passes from the d up to the forwards before the defensive blue line. When they set up in the offensive zone, the defensemen were mostly used to cycle the puck from high to low. Not a whole lot of D to D passes, nor point shots.

I enjoyed watching the kids play. I kinda wish they had played the Metallica intro for them to give them a taste of what it's really like.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
3v3 was awesome, positions totally go out the window. I think it will fit our squad well, though I do wonder if patience or speed will reign supreme.

Also, while I only saw the second half, Tierney was clearly at another level. His patience on the goal was very nice, and he was all over the ice defensively and offensively.

My wife got a great photo of Noah Rod running someone through the glass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad