Sharks 2015 Summer Prospect Scrimmage 7/9

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
So is the Sharks' website gonna have any highlights or any more player interviews? I'm a little surprised at the minimal coverage. Last year there were around 10 interviews.

They have been so lazy with updates lately. Very annoying. :shakehead

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Anyone know why Vela wasn't there?

My guess is his family did not have the $$ to get a ticket and pay his way to camp. As a NCAAer, he has to pay all costs to get/stay/be at camp. (With about one week after draft to get airline ticket, that's is not one of the cheap variety, but "full fare". Now, the Sharks would put him in a room sharing option, so he does not have to pay full $$ for single room, but that's still not cheap.)

With a year to plan, it's more likely he'll see SJ development camp next year.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I liked what I saw out of Langlois. Meier, once he got his groove, was entering the o-zone like it was butter. Guy's pretty slick.

Goldobin and Jevpalovs were fantastic together. Team Ricci in general were just so much better defensively, at least in the first half.

Rod's penalty shot was a thing of beauty, even if it didn't go in. That's more of a testament to how good that save was, tbh.

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
3v3 was awesome, positions totally go out the window. I think it will fit our squad well, though I do wonder if patience or speed will reign supreme.

The 3v3 looked pretty interesting, though I do think its going to be a real tight game, it won't be wide open as many people think it will be. It will be constant man on man coverage versus a zone defense, obviously skating and positioning ability plays a big role. However, I do think that 3v3 when its against out of conference teams things will be wide open. But I do admit it will be tough to stop Nate McKinnon or Tyler Seguin if you're assigned to match up against him. Also it was mainly a 2F/1D line combos.

cerise

Jul 10, 2015
San Jose
My guess is his family did not have the $$ to get a ticket and pay his way to camp. As a NCAAer, he has to pay all costs to get/stay/be at camp. (With about one week after draft to get airline ticket, that's is not one of the cheap variety, but "full fare". Now, the Sharks would put him in a room sharing option, so he does not have to pay full $$ for single room, but that's still not cheap.)

With a year to plan, it's more likely he'll see SJ development camp next year.

Marcus Vela and Adam Helewka are both injured. My source is Tim Burke from the STH town hall.

cerise

Jul 10, 2015
San Jose
For what it's worth, here's my opinions:
I liked Parsells. Big body on the back end. Laid out one of the first checks and he used his reach effectively to break up plays.

McNally was -- to my eyes -- well worth that 7th rounder. He seemed to have a good idea of where players were on the ice and passed the puck out of trouble a few times.

Sadowy was great cycling in the offensive zone. He was effective at finding weak spots in the defense to camp out.

Rumpel, by far, was our best prospect in net. He was the only one that inspired any confidence in me. To be fair though, he is the oldest and most experienced of the four who played last night.

Of the other three, it wasn't often you saw them stop a shot in warmups or during the game. Herbst looked particularly inexperienced and out of his depth. Robinson was stiff -- he reminded me a little of Ben Bishop after he suffered that injury in the finals. Kupsky didn't stand out much to me apart from letting a couple of unimpressive shots go in during warmups.

There's a lot of time for those guys to develop while Grosenick, Jones, and Stalock fight it out for their position.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
It's a bummer the Young Stars tourney doesn't happen anymore. It would be nice to see our prospects compete against other prospects. I'm sure we can hold McDavid to 4 goals.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
For what it's worth, here's my opinions:
I liked Parsells. Big body on the back end. Laid out one of the first checks and he used his reach effectively to break up plays.

McNally was -- to my eyes -- well worth that 7th rounder. He seemed to have a good idea of where players were on the ice and passed the puck out of trouble a few times.

Sadowy was great cycling in the offensive zone. He was effective at finding weak spots in the defense to camp out.

Rumpel, by far, was our best prospect in net. He was the only one that inspired any confidence in me. To be fair though, he is the oldest and most experienced of the four who played last night.

Of the other three, it wasn't often you saw them stop a shot in warmups or during the game. Herbst looked particularly inexperienced and out of his depth. Robinson was stiff -- he reminded me a little of Ben Bishop after he suffered that injury in the finals. Kupsky didn't stand out much to me apart from letting a couple of unimpressive shots go in during warmups.

There's a lot of time for those guys to develop while Grosenick, Jones, and Stalock fight it out for their position.

Agree with your takes on Parsells and Sadowy.

Really thought, Parsells skated well for a big man and did a solid job of keeping the puck in the o-zone.

Sadowy seems like a guy who is not flashy, but just gets the job done. Just always in the right place.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Agree with your takes on Parsells and Sadowy.

Really thought, Parsells skated well for a big man and did a solid job of keeping the puck in the o-zone.

Sadowy seems like a guy who is not flashy, but just gets the job done. Just always in the right place.

Except for a few players I was basically looking for good or bad plays, looking at the number and looking down at my guide to see who it was lol. I did that for good plays by Parsells at least 4 times.

Yes, I'm bad at names and numbers lol and I'm somewhat dyslexic. I kept having to make sure who was who between Donskoi and Meier until late in the second half.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's a bummer the Young Stars tourney doesn't happen anymore. It would be nice to see our prospects compete against other prospects. I'm sure we can hold McDavid to 4 goals.

You never know.

With the AHL teams moving west, it might be that the Sharks, Kings, Ducks and Coyotes revive the "Pacific Division Shootout".

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They gave out a roster program that has all of the jersey numbers from the scrimmage

I would assume these will be the numbers any of these players would wear upon any first future call ups barring extenuating circumstances

1: Liam Herbst
23: Rudolfs Balcers
24: Karlis Cukste
26: Jeremy Roy
27: Patrick McNally
28: Timo Meier
29: Joonas Donskoi
31: Jake Kupsky
35: Joel Rumpel
36: Mike Robinson
40: Ryan Carpenter
46: Noah Rod
49: Clifford Watson
53: Nikita Jevpalovs
54: Gage Ausmus
55: Peter Emanuelsson
56: Alex Shoenborn
58: Jake Jakson
59: Dylan Sadowy
60: Rourke Chartier
62: Kevin Labanc
63: Julius Bergman
65: Daniel O'Regan
70: Colin Blackwell
74: Dylan DeMelo
75: Michael Brodzinski
77: Robby Jackson
81: Adam Parcells
82: Nikolay Goldobin
86: Jeremy Langlois
90: Gabryel Boudreau
91: Gus Young
92: Brenden Kotyk
93: Sam Herr
94: Danny Federico
95: Nikolas Olsson
96: Spencer Foo
97: Daniel Doremus
98: Caston Sommer

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Talked with some of the media guys. Speculation is that jersey et al was set up before Jones signed.

As Kupsky is NCAA bound, no conflict with # at fall camp and he'll get a new # next summer if he comes to development camp.

From who I talked to last year, the jerseys are made far beforehand (hence why the names are only velcro-ed on the back).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad