Speculation: Sharks 2015 Rumors/Trade Proposals/Lineup Talk Thread ‎Part V: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
From my perspective, this is another lottery year for us, so as long as it's a one year deal, he can't hurt that. If you expect the Sharks to compete for the cup this year, then yes, he should be gone.

I'd rather reward someone that is developing with an NHL paycheck over keeping someone who isn't helping the team regardless of the direction. The GM believes he is protecting the other guys and we both know that isn't true. He has no other use.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'd rather reward someone that is developing with an NHL paycheck over keeping someone who isn't helping the team regardless of the direction. The GM believes he is protecting the other guys and we both know that isn't true. He has no other use.

Who am I to believe? Players, coaches and GM's throughout the league or you. Take a guess.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who am I to believe? Players, coaches and GM's throughout the league or you. Take a guess.

You can believe what's wrong with the rest of them if you want. Players like Scott don't protect anyone from anything. And not all players, coaches, and GM's believe they do either.

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You can believe what's wrong with the rest of them if you want. Players like Scott don't protect anyone from anything. And not all players, coaches, and GM's believe they do either.

I agree with this on general principal (enforcers are irrelevant in the modern NHL IF they can't play hockey) because of the instigator rule. Does Scott intimidate other players? Probably a little, only because he's absolutely gigantic, but I don't think he even remotely concerns the cheap shot artists or even the pests because they know he won't attack them.

Still, in Scott's case, he's not a totally useless player. He is a good skater, good hitter, and forechecks ok (for a 4th line big guy). I do also believe he stops line brawls. No one wants to start a line brawl with Scott on the ice, but that's a rare occurrence anyway.

Basically, I agree, enforcers are worthless, but Scott isn't your standard enforcer. He's twice the hockey player Jody Shelly was for instance, and that's why I'm OK with it. I don't really CARE, but I'm ok with it.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Players, coaches and gm's are always right. :rolleyes:

How attached are the Sharks to Tommy Wingels? The Sabres are in the market for a RW that plays with some jam and has the potential to pot 20 goals.

What are your needs and thoughts on relative value if you are willing to deal him?

Idk, depends on who wins the Cup this year.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
How many pages can we get on Captain John Scott? The irre(levant)verent 5th liner that divides message board fan bases? Is Freddie Hamilton still here? Eriah Hayes? What about their development?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
We need Karl Alzner. Don't care how we get him, just put him in a Sharks uniform. Caps need scoring forwards. Marleau would be a great fit to try and make another run for them. Send them Marleau, a 1st or Irwin (some combination therein) for Alzner.

Honestly him and Vlasic down the left side makes our D so much better.

Vlasic-Burns
Alzner-Braun (that's an amazing second line shutdown pairing)
Dillon-Tennyson (Tennyson has a lot of upside, hopefully he can progress offensively next year)
Mueller

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Players, coaches and gm's are always right. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Of course they aren't right all the time about all things, but when the majority agree that there is a place in the league for players like Scott, then yes, I will trust them and my judgement that there is a place in the league for players like Scott over some message board GM's.

Whether Scott should be resigned by the Sharks is a debatable subject. Period. Of course a player like Scott is not going to keep other players from getting run all the time and is not the benchmark I'm talking about. That is an unachievable goal. I do believe he makes a difference.

Stating that posters here who agree that Scott could have a place on the Sharks are not "good fans" or that you know for a fact that there is no place in the league for them and they don't protect other players to some degree is not a fact.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
:rolleyes:

Of course they aren't right all the time about all things, but when the majority agree that there is a place in the league for players like Scott, then yes, I will trust them and my judgement that there is a place in the league for players like Scott over some message board GM's.

Whether Scott should be resigned by the Sharks is a debatable subject. Period. Of course a player like Scott is not going to keep other players from getting run all the time and is not the benchmark I'm talking about. That is an unachievable goal. I do believe he makes a difference.

Stating that posters here who agree that Scott could have a place on the Sharks are not "good fans" or that you know for a fact that there is no place in the league for them and they don't protect other players to some degree is not a fact.

As harsh as this may sound, this is simply a lot of bs for sheepishly believing what you're told. If that reasoning were true, it should be provable that players get ran less with them around. The fact that players still get ran with them around means they don't protect them. And the reality is that they don't. The reality is that guys like Scott are there to fulfill the need for revenge...not that that actually impacts the game itself.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
We need Karl Alzner. Don't care how we get him, just put him in a Sharks uniform. Caps need scoring forwards. Marleau would be a great fit to try and make another run for them. Send them Marleau, a 1st or Irwin (some combination therein) for Alzner.

Honestly him and Vlasic down the left side makes our D so much better.

Vlasic-Burns
Alzner-Braun (that's an amazing second line shutdown pairing)
Dillon-Tennyson (Tennyson has a lot of upside, hopefully he can progress offensively next year)
Mueller

Alzner is the last player we need to spend assets on. We have young defensive LHD coming out the wazoo.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Alzner is the last player we need to spend assets on. We have young defensive LHD coming out the wazoo.

Mueller is not ready. He needs more AHL time. Vanier is not ready. Who else is left? Abeltshauser has been passed up consistently by the Sharks.

Personally I'd rather develop those players on the third line instead of shoving them into the second line or keeping Dillon on the second pairing.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't understand why so many people are convinced Mueller won't be ready for 3rd pairing duties after a half season last year and a summer of growth and training.

I'll live with whatever decision is made after training camp and he can go up and down unlike last year. IMO, we still have to wait and see what we have.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
How many pages can we get on Captain John Scott? The irre(levant)verent 5th liner that divides message board fan bases? Is Freddie Hamilton still here? Eriah Hayes? What about their development?

No, he's gone. Traded for Stollery. Which looks like a pretty decent trade now, assuming Stollery is re-signed.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Yah, last thing we need, literally, is more defensive defensemen.

we have very few trade assets, I wouldn't waste any of them on another defensive defensemen. Heck, I want to get rid of one we have now (long term). We don't need 4.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Mueller is not ready. He needs more AHL time. Vanier is not ready. Who else is left? Abeltshauser has been passed up consistently by the Sharks.

Personally I'd rather develop those players on the third line instead of shoving them into the second line or keeping Dillon on the second pairing.

Firstly, Dillon is fine on the second pair. Secondly, if you want to go after a 2nd pairing LHD, go after an offensive D. Not another pure defensive D.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Players think twice about their actions when Scott is in the game. To say otherwise is not true.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
What's the real thing compared to the infallibility of a hockey message board.

I can't believe anyone would want to not see Scott return after coming off a career high for goals scored.

That's almost more reason to let him go. He won't score that much again, so he'll almost certainly be overpaid. Since all we care about is money now this is a decent reason we could see him leave.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Players will be dumb regardless of Scott's presence on the ice. That's what they do when they get into the game and in that zone.

Are you saying that the other team(s) players are not mindful of the fact that Scott is in the game? If yes, then I disagree.

Players will still make impulsive boneheaded plays irrespective of whether Scott is on the ice or not. But Scott can help weed out the calculated targeting of younger/star players on a team. If you don't think that to be the case, then we can just agree to disagree.

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
I think I speak for everyone on the John Scott fanwagon when I say that if we go through another season like the one last year, we mind as well have the greatest, most handsomest player in the league to combat the boredom. And why not reward a guy who just had a career year with a contract that is virtually meaningless, but still a great gesture to our last little joy as fans.

8Juhk6u.jpg

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
When Buffalo was getting pushed around by Boston, they went out and got John Scott and the abuse stopped. I'd call that protecting.

Dillon was terrible on defense this year.....2nd paring?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't understand why so many people are convinced Mueller won't be ready for 3rd pairing duties after a half season last year and a summer of growth and training.

I'll live with whatever decision is made after training camp and he can go up and down unlike last year. IMO, we still have to wait and see what we have.

Agreed. This board is really low on Mueller. I'm of the mind "wait and see" with him. I'd happily leave him on the 3rd pairing to start. If he struggles, I don't think it'll be terribly difficult to fill in the #3 LHD spot, whether it's from within the organization or not.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Alzner isn't purely defensive. He's not immobile or unable to join the rush or make a pass. He's effective in all those areas. He's extremely smart with the puck. I'd compare him to a cheaper Vlasic.

I agree with the post above, Dillon was terrible last year and having him slate out as our 2nd LD scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad