Speculation: Sharks 2015 Rumors/Trade Proposals/Lineup Talk Thread ‎Part V: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I like John Scott. Sue me. He's bad, and if we were trying to contend for a Stanley Cup, I'd be pissed if he were getting ice time. As it is, we're not, and he's not. He's a really funny guy, he seems to be popular in the locker room, and if this past season was any indication, we're going to need someone to lighten the mood like he seems to. Sue me.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like John Scott. Sue me. He's bad, and if we were trying to contend for a Stanley Cup, I'd be pissed if he were getting ice time. As it is, we're not, and he's not. He's a really funny guy, he seems to be popular in the locker room, and if this past season was any indication, we're going to need someone to lighten the mood like he seems to. Sue me.

I'll get my attorneys on the phone. I don't care if we're contending or not. If we are, he's obviously not a guy that should be here. If we're not, we should be developing guys that should be and there shouldn't be a place for guys like him and Mike Brown taking those spots. People shouldn't act like the 4th line and the press box aren't learning experiences and developmental opportunities for young players. It's just another instance of throwing roster spots away for nothing.

You'll get guys of his personality type in guys fighting for their spots and trying to improve. Being a cool guy isn't and should never be a reason to keep a guy. That only contributes to that country club dynamic some people have issues with.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'll get my attorneys on the phone. I don't care if we're contending or not. If we are, he's obviously not a guy that should be here. If we're not, we should be developing guys that should be and there shouldn't be a place for guys like him and Mike Brown taking those spots. People shouldn't act like the 4th line and the press box aren't learning experiences and developmental opportunities for young players. It's just another instance of throwing roster spots away for nothing.

You'll get guys of his personality type in guys fighting for their spots and trying to improve. Being a cool guy isn't and should never be a reason to keep a guy. That only contributes to that country club dynamic some people have issues with.

Yeah, really bummed Scott will be taking those 4th line minutes from all those promising youngsters we have. :rolleyes:

If you'd rather they all sit silently and not look at each other, fine. But I don't think that's how you should go about playing a professional sport. You're awfully bent out of shape over something basically meaningless.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Yeah, really bummed Scott will be taking those 4th line minutes from all those promising youngsters we have. :rolleyes:

If you'd rather they all sit silently and not look at each other, fine. But I don't think that's how you should go about playing a professional sport. You're awfully bent out of shape over something basically meaningless.

I don't mind having Scott around as a good locker room guy who seldom plays. But bringing up rookies to fill in that 4th line spot allows the org to see who can sink or swim, sometimes you get lucky and a player like Melker Karlsson emerges. On occasion a player will exhibit much better play in the nhl than the ahl and sometimes by fluke line change they actually find some chemistry with a top 9 line and stick. Ideally I'd like to see a 4th line that is for all intents and purposes a 3rd line, with players that have enough skill to sub in elsewhere in the line up. I'm sure you'd advocate the same if you thought we were contending, and I agree that I don't see the harm in Scott at close to league min if he rarely plays. At the moment I think we should try out whoever we've got and hope for the best, who knows, maybe DW will actually bring in some real depth instead of pylons this year.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Really DW? I'm pretty sure you can wait to talk with Scott till the end of the offseason and he'll still be there. Focus on other stuff right now buddy.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Really DW? I'm pretty sure you can wait to talk with Scott till the end of the offseason and he'll still be there. Focus on other stuff right now buddy.

Not how he rolls. He either re-signs 4th liners in early June like with Brown, or in the first few days of free agency like Burish and Scott. Scott is getting his first 7-figure contract. :laugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

There's not really anything else to focus on. Karlsson and Dillon are RFAs, they're stuck with us whether they like it or not. Then there's Irwin and John Scott Hannan. One, Two, or Three of those guys don't matter at all.

Plus, WTFetus is right on the money.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Clearly DW was very wrong/stupid when he announced his "let the PP be our enforcer" philosophy. So wrong, he went out and signed Mike Brown. Then for good measure John Scott.

Reality set in.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
How attached are the Sharks to Tommy Wingels? The Sabres are in the market for a RW that plays with some jam and has the potential to pot 20 goals.

What are your needs and thoughts on relative value if you are willing to deal him?

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Forget Scott and sign a guy like Steve Bernier who isn't a heavy weight, but he keeps people honest and can score 10-15 goals in 9-10 minutes a nite.

Well I'd really like to have Bernier back in that sort of depth role, definitely more so than Scott, however signing Scott doesn't mean we can't also sign Bernier.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

There are plenty of them that could benefit from the spot and the fact that it's passed off as meaningless when it isn't is part of the problem.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
It's a joke that people want Scott on this team...it says a lot.

More so that not everyone thinks that DW is the great satan for talking to Scott's agent and should be fired for it. That's what GM's and agents do. They will most likely talk about lot of things unless Scotts agent only represents Scott and no one else.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
More so that not everyone thinks that DW is the great satan for talking to Scott's agent and should be fired for it. That's what GM's and agents do. They will most likely talk about lot of things unless Scotts agent only represents Scott and no one else.

There are plenty of things that DW should be fired for. Talking to Scott's agent isn't one of them and I never claimed as such. But keeping him on the team is stupid.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There are plenty of things that DW should be fired for. Talking to Scott's agent isn't one of them and I never claimed as such. But keeping him on the team is stupid.

But he makes stupid shirts and acts like a goof ball so he is best thing since sliced bread.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I never understood why we didn't try Scott on the 2nd PP when it didn't get clicking and sit him in front of the net.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
But he makes stupid shirts and acts like a goof ball so he is best thing since sliced bread.

The point is, he barely plays, isn't totally useless when he does (he's not good by any standards, but he's better than Brown). And he eats suspensions for the team when need be (sort of joking...).

I mean, I don't care if he's let go, or stays, but there are guys I want gone a lot more than I want Scott gone (Brown, Hannan). At the very least, if he keeps everyonese spirits up and plays 20 games, I don't have an issue with that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The point is, he barely plays, isn't totally useless when he does (he's not good by any standards, but he's better than Brown). And he eats suspensions for the team when need be (sort of joking...).

I mean, I don't care if he's let go, or stays, but there are guys I want gone a lot more than I want Scott gone (Brown, Hannan). At the very least, if he keeps everyonese spirits up and plays 20 games, I don't have an issue with that.

He barely plays BECAUSE he's not good enough to play on a regular basis. Even if we assume that he keeps the spirits up for everyone, it obviously didn't mean anything when it comes to the team performing better so what good is it really? I agree that there are other guys that should be gone as well and moreso than Scott but that doesn't make it a good idea to keep him. Also, just because it isn't the most important spot on the roster doesn't mean it isn't important or is meaningless. Every roster spot matters.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
He barely plays BECAUSE he's not good enough to play on a regular basis. Even if we assume that he keeps the spirits up for everyone, it obviously didn't mean anything when it comes to the team performing better so what good is it really? I agree that there are other guys that should be gone as well and moreso than Scott but that doesn't make it a good idea to keep him. Also, just because it isn't the most important spot on the roster doesn't mean it isn't important or is meaningless. Every roster spot matters.

From my perspective, this is another lottery year for us, so as long as it's a one year deal, he can't hurt that. If you expect the Sharks to compete for the cup this year, then yes, he should be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad