Post-Game Talk: Sharks 2, Pens 1 (SO) - The Kunitz Spoils Sid Going Old School Edition

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Now back to the important Bryan Rust talk! I know this board won't survive if we're not talking about how amazing Derrick Pouliot's no point score line in a loss is!

I don't know. The Despres talk is just starting to sound like when a guy breaks up with a girlfriend and is still hung up six months later.

We have a young defenseman who is being given a chance and playing numerous minutes over Rob Scuderi. He is looking extremely solid during it. Despres was never given the chance to succeed here, so if that was going to be the reality, I don't see the issue of trading him for a partner that will help one of our other young players.

Terrible asset management, but I didn't really think when he hired Rutherford that we would be winning many trades. This is a guy who signed Kaberle after his brilliant Boston Bruins cup run to a three year 12.75.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
only thing keeping me sane about kunitz is that they've been stubborn before but ultimately made the necessary changes. maybe they're just that afraid to disrespect him or something, but my hope is they will give up soon

I think the real issue with Kunitz is that the coaching sees his positional play and "forecheck" and he is playing their system. He is playing it horribly, but every time he is on the power play he is in front of the net. He breaks out the way they want, etc.

I don't really see how Perron and Hornqvist haven't been tried on our power play. Also, I don't understand how when they've scored on the power play one of Hornqvist or Pouliot is always a part of it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
There aren't a lot of games left, and they need to figure out the Kunitz problem, as well as the PP.

The PP cost them the game, especially the 4 on 3. I'm sorry, but we can't all be smarter than a professional coaching staff. They HAVE to see how bad Sid is on the wall. They HAVE to see how Geno is a MUCH better fit there. They HAVE to see that Pouliot needs to be on that first unit. They HAVE to see that Kunitz is awful. They HAVE to see that Letang's decision making is terrible and he simply doesn't know when to shoot or pass, or do either decisively when he does.

Seems to me a case of the players having a lot more say than they should. Take control of your ****ing PP unit @RealRocket22.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
well the conversation initially started with Waffle Fries saying he was a top-4 Dman with Anaheim. That's all we're saying.

Now back to the important Bryan Rust talk! I know this board won't survive if we're not talking about how amazing Derrick Pouliot's no point score line in a loss is!

Yes, please. I would honestly rather talk about the virtually impossibility of Bryan Rust evolving into a full-time NHL player than I would anything more regarding Simon Despres. I've read it all, we've talked about it for a week across literally hundreds and hundreds of posts. I've heard it all. It happened, he was a good player who I don't think we should've traded for the return we got, time to move on with life as a Penguin fan.

If there was more to it than the same **** over and over again it'd be different.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
only thing keeping me sane about kunitz is that they've been stubborn before but ultimately made the necessary changes. maybe they're just that afraid to disrespect him or something, but my hope is they will give up soon

Who knows. They've moved him around the top 9 already and briefly took him off PP1 but now he's cemented in the top 6 and on PP1. They do seem to have a learning curve, but the PP is still a mess, Scuderi still gets put out in dumbass situations and they're running out of time. If I could pick one thing to fix it would be the PP, it's just willful stupidity at this point and Tocchet should be embarrassed. At least remove Kunitz for Perron or Pouliot or Bennett or anyone not completely worthless there.

I think it was all about trying to get him going, either they need to accept that it's not going to happen or they have and this is the result. Maybe it's because he wears an A or maybe it's because of his tenure or maybe it's because they don't feel like there are any other options. It all sucks and it's all stupid.

We're also at the point where everyone has seen him be godawful for an extended period of time even with all of these opportunities, so that's great on the trade front. If they could ever bear to part with Kunitz.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yes, please. I would honestly rather talk about the virtually impossibility of Bryan Rust evolving into a full-time NHL player than I would anything more regarding Simon Despres. I've read it all, we've talked about it for a week across literally hundreds and hundreds of posts. I've heard it all. It happened, he was a good player who I don't think we should've traded for the return we got, time to move on with life as a Penguin fan.

If there was more to it than the same **** over and over again it'd be different.

we are one of, if not THE MOST active boards on hfboards. Every topic that could possibly be discussed has been beaten to death, revived, and beaten to death again for the hell of it.

I'm not asking anyone to come along with me on my wild Simon Despres ride, but if people are going to discuss him, I'm going to take part in it (especially when I have a strong opinion about what's being said).

If anything, I've posted far far less than my average since the trade, so it shouldn't be getting in the way of people's enjoyment of the board/team. Not like I've littered every thread with how the team/management sucks (like some people do).

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
People need to learn to scroll past **** they don't want to read if they don't want to put people on their ignore list. You may end up skipping half of the posts but it's easier.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Better get used to sid being a perimeter guy. After a concussion and a busted jaw him playing that kind of game is by design. He obviously has decided his long-term health after hockey is more important.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
he looked better but he still looked to prefer playing a perimeter game- unwilling to go hard into the corners or drive to the net.

He did go to the net, he also did on both Weekend games against the Ducks and Kings. He battled Despres as well, beat Doughty going to the net before hitting the cross bar, come on, he has had 3 consecutive solid games. In Colorado, he played like he didn't care I will admit that.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Sid playing on the perimeter is a much better alternative than him suffering a head injury during a meaningless regular season... and being out for an extended period of time.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He did go to the net, he also did on both Weekend games against the Ducks and Kings. He battled Despres as well, beat Doughty going to the net before hitting the cross bar, come on, he has had 3 consecutive solid games. In Colorado, he played like he didn't care I will admit that.
Exactly, Colorado game was terrible by Sid but he had 3 good games before that and 3 good games after that. I mean, he is still not as dominant as he could be but this level is kinda acceptable from him. It´s much better than it was like 1-2 months before this.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I don't know. The Despres talk is just starting to sound like when a guy breaks up with a girlfriend and is still hung up six months later.

We have a young defenseman who is being given a chance and playing numerous minutes over Rob Scuderi. He is looking extremely solid during it. Despres was never given the chance to succeed here, so if that was going to be the reality, I don't see the issue of trading him for a partner that will help one of our other young players.

Terrible asset management, but I didn't really think when he hired Rutherford that we would be winning many trades. This is a guy who signed Kaberle after his brilliant Boston Bruins cup run to a three year 12.75.

Hey, at least he managed to get Kaberle off the books less than half a season into the deal. That's savvy.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
I didn't think the Anaheim game was anything special for Sid, but i do think the last 2 games have been good games for him.

I agree with this.

I think the Doughty move and the wicked backhander showed me that all wrist concerns were for naught.

The real question is, why did he look so un-Sid-like for such a long time? I don't get it.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I agree with this.

I think the Doughty move and the wicked backhander showed me that all wrist concerns were for naught.

The real question is, why did he look so un-Sid-like for such a long time? I don't get it.
There are multiple possible explanations for this. Only Sid knows, I guess. I would pay serious money to know it as well. That said, I wouldn´t say that the problems are behind him yet, he needs to play like this more often now and especially in the playoffs until I say he´s fine again. I can even tolerate a bit lower production when his defensive game is as perfect as it was in LA. That was a thing of beauty, Sid was a defensive monster in that game.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I agree with this.

There are lots of reasons

Hes just not playing good on the PP.

He doesn't go to the net enough.

And he doesn't work with his line mates enough.

If you look at the Doughty play and his goal last night they were great individual plays.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'm just happy Sid was willing to utilize his speed and beat the defenders to the outside when he scored his goal instead of trying another one of his synonymous failed dangle attempts. Granted, they gave him a hell of a lane to work with, but at least he took it!

I also don't mind him being a perimeter player all that much, as long as he's actually willing to SHOOT the damn puck, which he's looked more willing to do recently. His passing decisions and puck-management was also top notch, as was his compete level in the defensive zone.

As others here already pointed out, I also see little sense in him going hard to the net and risking injury so close to the playoffs. Simply not worth it. That's also why he has someone like Horny on his line.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The best seed for the pens would be the wildcard that plays the Atlantic, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I think Pens V Isles is happening. And for all the defense talk and forward matchups it will once again come down to who plays better in net.

Also MJ has been ok to bad as a coach so far. Yes he has made some nice personnel decisions (DP51), but he has also made some mind boggling ones as well. OT pairings, PP setup, Bennett's ice time.

Anyone can win with this roster, so the teams record is nothing to get excited about.

Won't get a full grade until the playoffs of course, and I still think he may be messing with teams a little in an attempt not to give too much away, but as of right now I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be after the first 5-10 games.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I agree with this.

He's getting older and the rest of the league has also managed to catch up as to how to better defend against him. It's bound to happen one way or another. Sid is HUMAN, and will have his off nights (and seasons for that matter), especially as he gets on in years.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Whatever they need to tell themselves that keeps Adams out of the lineup. Though we're due for a Downie maintenance night on Thursday I have a feeing.

edit, In reference to the BB compete level quote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad