GDT: sharkcar

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
RBA talking in the presser about how Jarvis is going to continue to improve at faceoffs as he gets older and gets more reps at it, gets timing down, etc. Is he quietly becoming a long term option at center? Really kinda sounds like it.
Sure sounds like it. And if our long term depth at the position is Aho-Jarvis-Koko-Staal/Drury that's crazy depth. That's not even factoring in guys like Suzuki, Robidas, Pono, etc

Reactions: zman77 and Chrispy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Outside of one bad turnover, like Chatfield of last season.

He needs to get in sync with his partner. There was one play where Orlov was already going in deep with the puck and Chatfield joined the rush without noticing he didn't have the right coverage back. It was turned over (not by Chat) and resulted in a 2-1 with a forward back. SJ didn't score.

Canes want their D to be aggressive and they all pinch. Probably need to get some consistent games with each player so as to iron this stuff out.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Sure sounds like it. And if our long term depth at the position is Aho-Jarvis-Koko-Staal/Drury that's crazy depth. That's not even factoring in guys like Suzuki, Robidas, Pono, etc

I would generally bet against Jarvis shifting to C. He didn't even play all that much of it in his junior career. If he's decently competent enough to take some RH faceoffs, that would be a win all by itself.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Does it become a weakness when, one of your teams current leading goal scorers or biggest offensive threats gets bumped to the 4th line and their offense suddenly dries up?

I’m not saying is a necessity or anything but when this roster is healthy Drury is the weakest link. If there’s a fairly simple, somewhat cost effective way to upgrade that weakest link the option is there to make the chain much stronger.

Put a player like Henrique between Noesen and Turbo and that’s no longer a 4th line. They might play 4th line minutes, but not really a 4th line by NHL standards is it? Jack “who the f is that guy” Drury doesn’t really have the same effect does he?

And yes, I’d say they’re doing alright if that’s their weakness.
In what world does turbo get bumper to 4th line even when Svech gets his minutes back to normal?

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
In what world does turbo get bumper to 4th line even when Svech gets his minutes back to normal?
Unless he scores a goal or has a primary assist in the 1st half of the game tonight I’ll be surprised if he’s still on the 1st line when the final horn blows.

The only players who had less TOI than TT against SJ were Drury and Noesen. Pretty sure TT played the least amount of ES minutes of any Canes player.

Part of that was likely due to them wanting to get Svech reps in a game that was already won by the third. Part of it is probably an indication of where they’re ultimately going to have him slotted in the lineup as soon as he has a not so great game. Maybe he ends up on the 2nd with KK and Nachos? But I doubt it.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s the right or wrong decision. But with a healthy roster he’s kind of the odd man out in the top 6 with how Rod wants them to play.

For a team that’s ultimately been eliminated the past few seasons due to lack of goal scoring I still think they’re going to have to find a way to make this a 3 SCORING line team. Staal line has some of the best advanced stats in the league but until those numbers start producing actual goals this is looking like a two line team. I just don’t think continuing to playing keep away hockey is going to work. But that’s a whole different topic for a different time and place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad