Player Discussion: Shane Prince

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As long as his effort level is always there I'm ok. His cap hit is important - you need middle depth that costs less but keeps the puck moving in the right direction.

Has anyone posted our updated roster cap hit yet?

Roughly $66.2 million.

Strome, Quine, Mayfield, and Berube still need to be re-signed. Based on a 10% increase over their previous deals, that's around $950k for Strome, around $1 million for Mayfield, and around $650k for each of Quine and Berube, for a total of approximately $3.2 million.

So the Isles would have roughly around $3.5 million in cap space to work with after the RFA deals.

Link here.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Roughly $66.2 million.

Strome, Quine, Mayfield, and Berube still need to be re-signed. Based on a 10% increase over their previous deals, that's around $950k for Strome, around $1 million for Mayfield, and around $650k for each of Quine and Berube, for a total of approximately $3.2 million.

So the Isles would have roughly around $3.5 million in cap space to work with after the RFA deals.

Link here.

In essence we are not in a position to make any big additions to the squad unless Snow is able to offload someone.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I see a POSSIBLE Jason Blake type of player out of Prince...Now 30-40 goals is probably never gonna happen but his build, speed alone reminds me of him and he was one of our better player IMO in the playoffs...if he can find some chemistry with a Strome-Nelson Strome-Bailey...one of the middle lines, he can get us 20 goals 25-30 assists. Its one thing to just be able to skate fast, its another to want to be good...He showed last year he's ready to work hard. Love the signing and I hope he gets regular time on our 2nd/3rd line.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I like his work ethic but I don't like having him as a regular... to me it's symptomatic of not having all of the pieces we need to compete for a cup.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Roughly $66.2 million.

Link here.

Thank you Sid. Strome is the one to watch. You have to wonder if he is bait.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Strome will likely be playing off of his QO. At 870k or whatever, even if he matched his numbers last year that's great bang for buck.

If he really rebounds back to 50 points, we want that cheap production.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm starting to wonder if someone signed Strome to an offer sheet and instead of matching, Snow is trying to work out a deal with that team.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I'm starting to wonder if someone signed Strome to an offer sheet and instead of matching, Snow is trying to work out a deal with that team.

I think we would've heard about it. If he signed an offer sheet, I would think that's something that gets announced.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think we would've heard about it. If he signed an offer sheet, I would think that's something that gets announced.

If Strome did indeed sign an offersheet, it has to be announced because the clock would start on whether the Isles match it or not- I think it's 7 days. It can't be done behind the scenes as Jester is suggesting.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
To me Prince seems like a David Ullstrom type
If ullstrom was given time to develop here.
Doesn't matter that Prince is 3 inches shorter. They both play similar style IMO .
From what I remember of ullstrom

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If Strome did indeed sign an offersheet, it has to be announced because the clock would start on whether the Isles match it or not- I think it's 7 days. It can't be done behind the scenes as Jester is suggesting.

I wasn't aware of that.... it just seems odd to me that they would get Prince signed before Strome considering how close we are now to the cap.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
To me Prince seems like a David Ullstrom type
If ullstrom was given time to develop here.
Doesn't matter that Prince is 3 inches shorter. They both play similar style IMO .
From what I remember of ullstrom

Ullstrom just couldn't keep his damn head up.... otherwise he'd probably be in the NHL right now.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Ullstrom just couldn't keep his damn head up.... otherwise he'd probably be in the NHL right now.

He also didn't seem to be a locker room favorite either. When I worked for the Sound Tigers, I always saw him stickhandling in the tunnel instead of spending time in the locker room with everyone else. I never saw him talk to another teammate, and that seemed like a pretty social team in 2011-12. He also was a very selfish player. That year he had 24 goals and 6 assists.

I don't know, Ullstrom always rubbed me the wrong way.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If I were Prince I'd spend a lot of time working on playing the right side. If he could get comfortable there, it would be a lot easier to find playing time on this team this year and beyond.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I want to see Kulemin-Quine-Prince on the 4th line. They won't be the biggest but that line has the potential to produce above average offense(in terms of being a fourth line) than what other teams have.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I want to see Kulemin-Quine-Prince on the 4th line. They won't be the biggest but that line has the potential to produce above average offense(in terms of being a fourth line) than what other teams have.

Chimera, Cizikas, Clutterbuck doesn't?

Not sure why everyone wants to pencil Quine into the lineup. He's Colin McDonald 2.0 who was on a "hot streak" at the end of the season. His game noticeably dropped the longer the playoffs went on.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Chimera, Cizikas, Clutterbuck doesn't?

Not sure why everyone wants to pencil Quine into the lineup. He's Colin McDonald 2.0 who was on a "hot streak" at the end of the season. His game noticeably dropped the longer the playoffs went on.

C3 is the third line this year and should be one of the better third lines in the league.

Fair assessment of Prince. I just see a kid with the talent to do some good for this team. If I'm wrong replace him. But for the regular season I think we'll see good things.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
If C3 is the thrid line we're in trouble.

Also, Prince needs to be a regular. Guy is 10X better than Kulemin and Chimera.

I still have my fingers crossed that Kulemin and his cap hit will be gone before camp starts.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Winger Shane Prince did not practice because Weight said he “missed a flight” returning from the break. He is expected to be ready for Saturday.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/nhl-dream-finally-coming-true-for-an-islanders-top-prospect/

good lord, can you imagine the outcry if Ho-Sang missed a flight and didn't make it to a practice with the Islanders or Sound Tigers? I am guessing it is to Worcester for the rest of the year, but if you are a Juggernaut like Prince I am guessing the team is going to give you a break.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad