Newsday: Shane Prince is showing Islanders he’s worth the risk

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
2nd goal

Great play by Prince on his second goal. I love the way he slides away from the crease as Corburn moves toward him giving Strome who is coming around the net a target for the pass very heady play.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Great play by Prince on his second goal. I love the way he slides away from the crease as Corburn moves toward him giving Strome who is coming around the net a target for the pass very heady play.

Yes. So heady in fact that he also knew exactly where he was going to shoot and got the shot off very quickly, before Bishop could get set. It was actually a very Bossy-like goal all the way around (not comparing the two!).

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Prince reminds me a bit of how Grabner joined the team and his first few months as an Islander. Not so much his game, but how he's been able to contribute and find a role for himself.

Prince is a much smarter player than I thought, initially. At first he seemed like a player who got by with speed and probably excelled at lower levels because of it. That he'd have trouble with NHL size/speed and the limited time and space.

Maybe it's the intensity of the playoffs, or the adrenalin or both, maybe it's that he's being give (and earned) an opportunity, maybe it's chemistry or maybe all of the above - but he's really been effective and dangerous on the ice, even when he isn't scoring, he's around it. He almost had the OT winner in FLA before JT's monumental series clincher!

Not sure where he lands, what his upside is, and don't really care. I love the passion he plays with and how he elevates his play. Hopefully it's contagious because there's no reason why Nelson, Strome, Bailey shouldn't play this way all the time.

Great job Prince and Garth for bringing him in for just a 3rd rounder. Brilliant move.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
He's really embraced being an islander. Talks about the franchise and fanbase in every interview.

Yes, I noticed that too. He seems to be very happy to be here, getting a chance to play every day and out of whatever circus was happening in Ottawa around him.

Scary that the Isles might be becoming a preferred destination and, dare I say it, steady franchise finally? :) The fans have always been here, they were just waiting for something to cheer for.

There is at least some continuity now, even if some fans do not like the front office/GM. Personally I have always liked what Snow has done for the most part, he saw a very flawed team and ripped it down to the studs, only to build it back up.

Next is stable, long-term ownership on the horizon; joining a lot of home-grown players and youngish vets who have committed to this team long term in Boychuk, Leddy, etc.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Prince reminds me a bit of how Grabner joined the team and his first few months as an Islander. Not so much his game, but how he's been able to contribute and find a role for himself.

Prince is a much smarter player than I thought, initially. At first he seemed like a player who got by with speed and probably excelled at lower levels because of it. That he'd have trouble with NHL size/speed and the limited time and space.

Maybe it's the intensity of the playoffs, or the adrenalin or both, maybe it's that he's being give (and earned) an opportunity, maybe it's chemistry or maybe all of the above - but he's really been effective and dangerous on the ice, even when he isn't scoring, he's around it. He almost had the OT winner in FLA before JT's monumental series clincher!

Not sure where he lands, what his upside is, and don't really care. I love the passion he plays with and how he elevates his play. Hopefully it's contagious because there's no reason why Nelson, Strome, Bailey shouldn't play this way all the time.

Great job Prince and Garth for bringing him in for just a 3rd rounder. Brilliant move.

Love this post, totally agree. His passion and intensity should be contagious.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Lee comes back next year, Prince IMHO made Bailey expendible. Then again, after seeing enough of him, he's make Kulemin expendible. Quine isn't scoring but playing quite well.....I think we hopefully will see an end to some aqful, flat play from serial slumpers.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
so impressed with this kid

hes got speed, but more importantly tenacity....he isnt shy to mix it up and goes to the dirty areas....quite the find...for sure he has earned a spot next year IMO

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
He does more for us than Bailey or Grabovski. Kulemin's got a heavier game, and I wonder if he's not injured, considering his play.

Keep Prince, find a way to ditch 2 of the 3 others mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad