Newsday: Shane Prince is showing Islanders he’s worth the risk

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...wing-islanders-he-s-worth-the-risk-1.11714196

It’s a risk — Shane Prince acknowledges that. He, Ryan Strome and Alan Quine never skated together before these playoffs. They’re all young, mostly inexperienced, and play with a speed and intensity that could lend itself to mistakes, if not handled correctly.

And, going into Game 4 against the Florida Panthers, they have a whopping 10 games of postseason experience among them, all Strome’s. Quine has played in five NHL games total, while Prince, an elder statesman, has 67. Though an AHL standout, Quine is thoroughly untested, and though Prince impressed in his own AHL days, he struggled during his Islanders stint, registering only five points in 20 regular-season games.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wouldn't say he struggled during the regular season. He's been getting acclimated to the team.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Kid is a gamer, and is always skating out there. I know he is an RFA, and I hope Garth can keep him. He can play in this league. If I am one of those expansion teams in the not so distant future I would keep an eye on this kid. He can be a top 6 scorer.

Ottawa misused him, there loss is our gain for the time we have him. It was worth the draft pick.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Prince is winning me over. I saw too much Cory Conacher at the beginning but he's really picked up his game, his intensity and has shown a lot in the playoffs. Smart player, good offensive instincts and although he's not a Selke candidate, he uses his speed and backchecks hard, makes a noticeable difference out there. Hopefully it keeps up.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Prince is winning me over. I saw too much Cory Conacher at the beginning but he's really picked up his game, his intensity and has shown a lot in the playoffs. Smart player, good offensive instincts and although he's not a Selke candidate, he uses his speed and backchecks hard, makes a noticeable difference out there. Hopefully it keeps up.

I never once got that Cory Conacher feeling. Conacher was a moron on skates. Prince, while no superstar, puts his heart and soul out there in all the right ways. Kind of reminds me of a forward version of Thomas Hickey.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I never once got that Cory Conacher feeling. Conacher was a moron on skates. Prince, while no superstar, puts his heart and soul out there in all the right ways. Kind of reminds me of a forward version of Thomas Hickey.

He's starting to win me over like Hickey did - wasn't going to bring up Hickey's name because he's so polarizing here but I agree with you. Long way to go for Prince but as a support player, I like him.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I loved Prince ever since he got here. When Ottawa fans kept on telling us that this kid is a good player to have, I was immediately won over. I noticed that all Prince does is create opportunities for his linemates and we need more players like that.

One thing I wanna see more of next season is his ability to keep the puck more when approached with contact. He's not very strong with the puck like Quine is, but overall he's been a gem to have.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I loved Prince ever since he got here. When Ottawa fans kept on telling us that this kid is a good player to have, I was immediately won over. I noticed that all Prince does is create opportunities for his linemates and we need more players like that.

One thing I wanna see more of next season is his ability to keep the puck more when approached with contact. He's not very strong with the puck like Quine is, but overall he's been a gem to have.

It's shocking how good Quine is on the puck for a smaller skilled player. It just sticks to him

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Prince reminds me of a young Blake. Quick, never ending motor, and on the small side.
Definitely a stretch, and one can only hope he can become half the player Blake was, but it was my first comparison to an ex-Islander that I could think of.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
He's starting to win me over like Hickey did - wasn't going to bring up Hickey's name because he's so polarizing here but I agree with you. Long way to go for Prince but as a support player, I like him.

It's like we're an Island of Misfit Toys. We get a lot of the players that other teams can't keep/need to let go, and we make an entire team out of them and they work well together.

Leddy
Boychuk
Hickey
Prince
Quine
Berube

In the past Grabner, Parenteau, Moulson.

It's kind of amazing.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006

I agree. He's growing on me. I like him and Quine. Quine quietly has some sneaky moves and both can skate.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Yeah hes grown on me... I am glad hes playing well. He is going to be a great addition to a trade package when we move Hamonic.

ENOUGH OF THE 5'11 PIP SQUEAKS. This team needs to get bigger and stronger.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yeah hes grown on me... I am glad hes playing well. He is going to be a great addition to a trade package when we move Hamonic.

ENOUGH OF THE 5'11 PIP SQUEAKS. This team needs to get bigger and stronger.

Prince has an edge and he can skate, like really well. I don't have a problem with smaller plays who can hold their own and skate.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Prince has an edge and he can skate, like really well. I don't have a problem with smaller plays who can hold their own and skate.

Definitely has an edge to him unlike some other guys on the team who rhyme with Failey and crock.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
He's been okay but more Shane Prince is not he answer.

This team needs to either get more skilled and stay the same size, or get bigger and keep the same skill. Hopefully the Harvard boys open the purse strings and Garth get's it done.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Prince seems to really care, and he tries to make a difference.

Which is refreshing, because we have a few guys who are passionless and seem to just be trying to get through their shift.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Eh, I don't think he has good offensive instincts. He's not big enough to play a checking role. I don't really see much hope for him. He's fast, he's got an average shot, and he has below average (almost zilch) vision. His passes usually don't find anybody's stick. Things could change, he's found some chemistry at least. I just don't have high expectations for him.

Quine, on the other hand. He's got some ability and if he can play a simple game and work on his defense he's got a real chance of being a weapon in this league.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Eh, I don't think he has good offensive instincts. He's not big enough to play a checking role. I don't really see much hope for him. He's fast, he's got an average shot, and he has below average (almost zilch) vision. His passes usually don't find anybody's stick. Things could change, he's found some chemistry at least. I just don't have high expectations for him.

Quine, on the other hand. He's got some ability and if he can play a simple game and work on his defense he's got a real chance of being a weapon in this league.

Good lord Leap, I agree with everything you just typed.

One thing in Prince's favor is he can be an upgrade over some of the other half pints on this club. He is willing to take more abuse than some... I see value in that. But yeah, lots of peripheral skating that makes shiny object lovers salivate, but what's it get us? He is like Jason Blake on crack at times, but without all the points. And I wasn't a big fan of Blake's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad