News Article: Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for violating gambling rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I guess we should assume the Senators knew something about this? Is there a chance that is why they weren't making moves?

On the flip side, it would be much better to have him signed and get this thing going.

What a circus!
“The exact timeline is unclear at this point, but it’s believed the investigation — which began sometime during the summer — intensified over the past few weeks. All negotiations to sign him were paused as the NHL conducted a recent hearing into the matter.”

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Did anyone even know? I mean our own owner talked about getting him signed lol.

Also. How can you not love this team. It’s legit the most fascinating group in pro sports
The exact timeline is unclear at this point, but it’s believed the investigation — which began sometime during the summer — intensified over the past few weeks. All negotiations to sign him were paused as the NHL conducted a recent hearing into the matter.
It’s believed that one reason Pinto has not asked for a trade is that he appreciates the organization’s secrecy about the investigation.
These quotes make it sound like the team knew, didn't leak anything about the investigation despite being absolutely clobbered by the fanbase and media about the "holdout".

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
reset-the-clock-pacific-rim.gif

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Apparently he wasn’t gambling on hockey, but other sports.

I think this is ridiculous if that’s the case. These leagues are fully in bed with sports betting. Why can’t a hockey player make a football parlay?

Billionaire owners happy to take in the millions in new revenue, though.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Is there a team in the league with worse luck than Ottawa when it comes to good young players running into non-hockey issues?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I guess we should assume the Senators knew something about this? Is there a chance that is why they weren't making moves?

On the flip side, it would be much better to have him signed and get this thing going.

What a circus!

Apparently they were briefed within the last couple of weeks so they would have known for at least the last 14 days there was an active investigation

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You would think a league minimum 1 year contract would be announced any second?

The clock doesn't start ticking on the suspension until he signs. Probably best to sign asap so he can come and join the team the last 30 games or so for a playoff push?

Pinto should want to sign anything to get another season accrued for his benefit + he wants some income, right?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

I think this is ridiculous if that’s the case. These leagues are fully in bed with sports betting. Why can’t a hockey player make a football parlay?

True. If it wasn’t even nhl games he was betting on then I agree it’s pretty ridiculous. Stop advertising gambling everywhere for one. Ffs people are totally insane.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Not true. The league doesn't care if you bet on other leagues.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Very weird situation.

I assume the Senators didn't know about it, because they were actively trying to sign him.

I also assume his agent didn't know, because if he did, wouldn't he want to get Pinto signed to whatever the Senators offered? He now will deal from a position of extreme weakness. Assuming the Senators offered 1.9M x 2, Pinto likely lost millions by not signing it. Assuming he now signs a close to league minimum type deal, his QO next year will be much lower than his QO would have been in 2026. He also may have a bad shortened season after missing so much hockey.

What's next? Ridley Greig, dog fighter?

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad