Waived: Shane O'Brien --- Update: Clears, Assigned to Heat

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not surprised that SOB got waived (and that trade was terrible from day 1 I don't care what anyone says) he should have been waived years ago.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Breen did nothing his last time up. Don't see this being an improvement.

It isn't.
On the other hand, you get to give a guy a whirl who has been looking like he's ready to make the jump for the part couple seasons. If he shows he actually has some NHL capabilities, that's awesome, if not, just opens up another spot for some upcoming D-men next year because he won't be resigned. It'd really be too bad, the Heat staff did a great job with this kid for a few years, and really transformed his game.

O'Brien should actually be really helpful for the Heat, especially for a playoff run. They get a veteran; and should be getting some of their fire-power back from Calgary soon enough as well, as people get healthy.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
O'Brien should actually be really helpful for the Heat, especially for a playoff run. They get a veteran; and should be getting some of their fire-power back from Calgary soon enough as well, as people get healthy.

I doubt it. O'Brien gives the Heat 9 healthy D. I say he won't do much more than get in the way during practice, and take icetime away from prospects during games. I'm not a fan of this move.

I doubt that the Flames management is looking at SOB to help with the Heats playoff run. I think this all about Burke taking his Olympic break away from him. I expect him to be recalled after the Olympics.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I doubt it. O'Brien gives the Heat 9 healthy D. I say he won't do much more than get in the way during practice, and take icetime away from prospects during games. I'm not a fan of this move.

I doubt that the Flames management is looking at SOB to help with the Heats playoff run. I think this all about Burke taking his Olympic break away from him. I expect him to be recalled after the Olympics.

Interesting thoughts. Being placed on waivers is bad enough, but some guys manage to turn it around.

Wasn't Stajan placed on waivers once?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Burke made some comments regarding Shane O'Brien

“Shane cleared (Sunday) and we thought someone might grab him because he’s a good player,” Burke said. “Obviously the extra year of his contract is the killer, so now we’ll see if we can structure a trade (in the new CBA you can retain salary deals) and we’ll see if there’s a team that would take him if we aren’t part of the obligations . . . that will be the first order of the day — to see if we can structure a deal for him.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...hat+giant+defenceman+offer/9433109/story.html

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sounds like Hartley had something to say about the demotion too:

@CoachBobHartley: You know like I toll Shane O dat -3 per day is like good on da golf course but like not so good for Ockey

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Interesting that he would just come out and say that they are looking to trade him..I wonder if this was an off ice issue.

If this is true, I will be vindicated and correct on both accounts that there is a trade coming and there was off ice issues :laugh:

Also, Burke mentions that we can retain cap. This wasn't an option under Feaster but clearly it's different under Burke. This factor could be huge with a guy like Cammy. What contending team wouldn't want Cammy at 3 million?

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
I disagree that it necessarily means there were off ice issues.
It could just be that Burke doesn't see him in the short or long term plans (ie not good enough to be a 6/7 defenseman) and would rather trade him to an organization that could use him so as not to end his NHL career.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If this is true, I will be vindicated and correct on both accounts that there is a trade coming and there was off ice issues :laugh:

Also, Burke mentions that we can retain cap. This wasn't an option under Feaster but clearly it's different under Burke. This factor could be huge with a guy like Cammy. What contending team wouldn't want Cammy at 3 million?

I think the Flames have eaten a large proportion of Cammy's salary already since he's been getting paid and been playing for us. As per cap geek, "teams can retain a percentage of a contract's remaining cap hit"

So the Flames have played 52 games and play 8 more before the deadline, resulting in a total of 73% of the Flames season. Therefore I assume the Flames will have paid 73% of Cammy's 7 million (not.6 mill cap hit) this season, resulting in a salary of 1.88 million dollars remaining on the season.

I'm not sure if this affects the actual cap hit as well, but if its just cap hit the Flames have to absorb, the Flames should have no problem absorbing it all since its not real dollars and the Flames have plenty of space.

I'm not sure if the Flames eat 73% of his cap hit too. According to capgeek's trade calculator, up to 50% of Cammy's full 6 million dollar cap hit can be retained at the deadline. So likely no. Its too bad because if the Flames can trade Cammy for less than 3 million in hit, that would increase his value given how many teams are up against the cap.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think the Flames have eaten a large proportion of Cammy's salary already since he's been getting paid and been playing for us. As per cap geek, "teams can retain a percentage of a contract's remaining cap hit"

So the Flames have played 52 games and play 8 more before the deadline, resulting in a total of 73% of the Flames season. Therefore I assume the Flames will have paid 73% of Cammy's 7 million (not.6 mill cap hit) this season, resulting in a salary of 1.88 million dollars remaining on the season.

I'm not sure if this affects the actual cap hit as well, but if its just cap hit the Flames have to absorb, the Flames should have no problem absorbing it all since its not real dollars and the Flames have plenty of space.

I'm not sure if the Flames eat 73% of his cap hit too. According to capgeek's trade calculator, up to 50% of Cammy's full 6 million dollar cap hit can be retained at the deadline. So likely no. Its too bad because if the Flames can trade Cammy for less than 3 million in hit, that would increase his value given how many teams are up against the cap.

If the Flames retains 50% of the Cap Hit, then they only pay 50% of the remaining salary.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I disagree that it necessarily means there were off ice issues.
It could just be that Burke doesn't see him in the short or long term plans (ie not good enough to be a 6/7 defenseman) and would rather trade him to an organization that could use him so as not to end his NHL career.

Having read the article, it would appear that the writer was using parentheses to insert asides in his own words into the middle of Burke's quotes. Without seeing the interview, it's not possible to say absolutely, but it doesn't seem to me that Burke was the one saying the part about retaining salary. I believe those particular words were the writer's.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If the Flames retains 50% of the Cap Hit, then they only pay 50% of the remaining salary.

50% of the remaining salary is only a 0.94K.

But I wonder if the Flames eat salary while he's a paid Flame. I think Cammy's value could be worth more if his cap hit is even less than 3 million.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
50% of the remaining salary is only a 0.94K.

But I wonder if the Flames eat salary while he's a paid Flame. I think Cammy's value could be worth more if his cap hit is even less than 3 million.

Do you mean 940k? I cant see how half his remaining salary would only be $940. :laugh:

The Flames are only allowed to absorb 1/2 his cap hit I believe.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Do you mean 940k? I cant see how half his remaining salary would only be $940. :laugh:

The Flames are only allowed to absorb 1/2 his cap hit I believe.

Because the Flames already paid him up until this point. At the deadline, only 1.80 million will be owed to Cammy I believe. Since the Flames paid him for 73% of the regular season of his 7 million dollars. To eat 50% of his remaining owed salary of 1.80 is only 940K

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
It is interesting that Burke Said he wants to trade SOB. I think thats just how he rolls. I remember him announcing that he would trade Nik Antropov. It's gonna be tough to trade SOB. But if thiswww.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/obrien-apology/ happens again it would be just about impossible to move him.

This is all about keeping him going to the rink every day during the break where the Flames can keep an eye on him. Too bad for the Heat that they have to use a roster spot on SOB just because he needs a babysitter. ):

BTW, how the hell does the Heat have 9 healthy D? Thats with 3 guys injured, Cundari re assigned and a guy in Alaska. Thats enough D for two teams! ?????

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
It is interesting that Burke Said he wants to trade SOB. I think thats just how he rolls. I remember him announcing that he would trade Nik Antropov. It's gonna be tough to trade SOB. But if thiswww.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/obrien-apology/ happens again it would be just about impossible to move him.

This is all about keeping him going to the rink every day during the break where the Flames can keep an eye on him. Too bad for the Heat that they have to use a roster spot on SOB just because he needs a babysitter. ):

BTW, how the hell does the Heat have 9 healthy D? Thats with 3 guys injured, Cundari re assigned and a guy in Alaska. Thats enough D for two teams! ?????

Not related to SOB, but how can a team set a "weight limit"? Do they not know there is more than one body type out there?

Aug 3, 2010
Not related to SOB, but how can a team set a "weight limit"? Do they not know there is more than one body type out there?
Regardless of that "weight limit", muscular athletes in sports that require a low body-fat percentage rarely hit over 220 pounds.

Most healthy muscular builds regardless of body type only ever hit around 180-210 pounds. There are outliers of course (aka Chara who is 6'9", 255lbs) who any team will make an exception for but a lot of that is his increased bone weight/density in order to support his height.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

It's most likely a weight limit for O'Brien himself. He says in the article:

All year, I’ve been between 230 and 235, but they want me under 230 and it’s my job as a pro to meet their demands.

which tells me it's a specific goal just for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad