Waived: Shane O'Brien --- Update: Clears, Assigned to Heat

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Just curious, did he live up to his Shane Orr'Brien moniker Avs fans gave him? Constantly thinking he was Bobby Orr and trying to go coast to coast as the last defender back?

Ignoring all the other holes in his game that warranted being waived, of course.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Just curious, did he live up to his Shane Orr'Brien moniker Avs fans gave him? Constantly thinking he was Bobby Orr and trying to go coast to coast as the last defender back?

Ignoring all the other holes in his game that warranted being waived, of course.

He did do a lot more spinoramas than I expected, that's for sure.

Won't shed a tear if he's claimed. Billins coming up maybe?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm eating some big-time crow on this one. Thought he would be a good player for us. Has lots of tools, but just does not read the game well at all.

In answer to the Avs fan up there, he did occasionally try to go coast to coast, but for the most part it didn't result in too many turnovers. It was when he tried to pass that the problems began, and it was his work when the other team had the puck which had most of us convulsing.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I agree the guy hasn't played well but I still find it a tad curious to see him waived when he is one of our tougher players and Burke has done nothing but said we need to get tougher. I don't see anyone in the AHL that is near O'brien in toughness but if it is a player being recalled my money is on Breen, bet Burke drools over his size

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I doubt anybody takes him. Especially with him being signed for next season. I'm thinkin that the Flames are stuck with him. SOB has been a big disappointment, but if this was truly a "meritocracy" Wideman would be gone as well. He was brutal last night.

It's too bad. The Flames are so soft, especially at D. There was a great opportunity here for SOB. I don't know why the Flames let Hannan walk. He was way better.

I guess the thing to do now is just hope somebody claims him.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Ouch. Tanguay and Sarich are not only better than Jones and SOB, their contracts run out sooner as well. Awful, awful trade. I wonder who's getting the callup (or if there is going to be a trade). Only 6 defensemen on the roster once SOB is picked up or is assigned. Not a big fan of either Breen or Smith, and Billins is redundant with Brodie and Russell in the lineup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I doubt anybody takes him. Especially with him being signed for next season. I'm thinkin that the Flames are stuck with him. SOB has been a big disappointment, but if this was truly a "meritocracy" Wideman would be gone as well. He was brutal last night.

It's too bad. The Flames are so soft, especially at D. There was a great opportunity here for SOB. I don't know why the Flames let Hannan walk. He was way better.

I guess the thing to do now is just hope somebody claims him.

Wideman has been at his worst when paired with O'Brien. So has Butler. Maybe we should just not judge players when they play with O'Brien. He has been having a bad time lately, though. He's generated tons of chances and just can't seem to hit the twine.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I've been watching Shane O'Brien's game closely over the years. He had the potential to be a solid D man but for whatever reason he never worked on his game. Watching him last night against the Predators, he was a shell of his former self. Not sure if he's out of shape or what but he deserved to be waived.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Good news though after starting the year awful at all aspects of the game Butler has really been solid through January and I don't think he can sit for Smid or SoB at this point.

I'll eat crow on that as I didn't think he had it in him to become a NHL player again

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ouch. Tanguay and Sarich are not only better than Jones and SOB, their contracts run out sooner as well. Awful, awful trade. I wonder who's getting the callup (or if there is going to be a trade). Only 6 defensemen on the roster once SOB is picked up or is assigned. Not a big fan of either Breen or Smith, and Billins is redundant with Brodie and Russell in the lineup.

Terrible trade and it was obvious at the time it was made. Anyone who defended it was kidding themselves.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

I still don't mind the trade.

You can't expect to get value back for two aging/declining assets that have asked to be traded out of your organization on numerous occasions in the past. Neither player wanted to be apart of the solution here, and certainly would not have helped on or off the ice this season.

Also both of Jones and Tanguay's contracts expire at the same time.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm eating some big-time crow on this one. Thought he would be a good player for us. Has lots of tools, but just does not read the game well at all.

In answer to the Avs fan up there, he did occasionally try to go coast to coast, but for the most part it didn't result in too many turnovers. It was when he tried to pass that the problems began, and it was his work when the other team had the puck which had most of us convulsing.

From a hockey perspective he's probably the dumbest player the Flames have had since Comeau.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Terrible trade and it was obvious at the time it was made. Anyone who defended it was kidding themselves.

I still do that trade.
Tanguay and Sarich simply didn't want to be here, rather have them gone than a gong show like the Canucks; may as well have gotten something for them; Sarich was clearly worthless and Tanguay's value was questionable.

O'Brien has been fine in my eyes, I think it's just that he's clearly a bottom pairing D-man; and nothing more. Can't expect him to be a god on the ice, he's a slower skating, rugged D-man. Not particularly good at anything, but definitely not as bad as some of you guys are making him out to be.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Good.

Feaster had a big appetite for O'Brien, as he also traded a 1st rounder for him while in Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00