Waived: Shane O'Brien --- Update: Clears, Assigned to Heat

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well we officially lost the Tanguay trade...

What if David Jones scores 30 in 30? :sarcasm:

On a serious note, Jones does help this team when he plays well. He's just a lot less flashy about it. There are more goals when Tanguay is on the ice. At both ends.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
So six defensemen on the roster and Breen has yet to be recalled (and he very likely will be).

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
What if David Jones scores 30 in 30? :sarcasm:

On a serious note, Jones does help this team when he plays well. He's just a lot less flashy about it. There are more goals when Tanguay is on the ice. At both ends.

His career +/- of 157 and only two seasons of being a minus player, one -2 and last year -13, + 8 this year, vs. Jones career +/- of -33 and only one + season say otherwise. Decent odds if Jones manages to play anywhere close to as long as Tanguay, which he wont, that their +/- numbers end up exactly opposite in the positive/negative end.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
His career +/- of 157 and only two seasons of being a minus player, one -2 and last year -13, + 8 this year, vs. Jones career +/- of -33 and only one + season say otherwise. Decent odds if Jones manages to play anywhere close to as long as Tanguay, which he wont, that their +/- numbers end up exactly opposite in the positive/negative end.

I'm not really talking about Tanguay during his career, though. I'm talking about Tanguay on the Flames last year and hypothetically this year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, everyone tends to get that feeling of "there must be more" until nothing happens (or something mundane happens).

Something mundane is still something!!

C'mon down Gardiner! Whoop whoop

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, everyone tends to get that feeling of "there must be more" until nothing happens (or something mundane happens).

Except to me this really does seem like it. Unless he did something off ice, I don't get this. He wasn't hurting the team, he does have a physical element to his game, his cap hit isn't handicapping us. No one has been recalled, it seems to me anyways that this was done to create a roster spot.

This move also tells me that our owners may be open to retaining cap in a trade under the right circumstances.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Except to me this really does seem like it. Unless he did something off ice, I don't get this. He wasn't hurting the team, he does have a physical element to his game, his cap hit isn't handicapping us. No one has been recalled, it seems to me anyways that this was done to create a roster spot.

This move also tells me that our owners may be open to retaining cap in a trade under the right circumstances.

He was hurting the team by being a pylon. Had 3-4 minutes of ice-time against Nashville and came out of it a -3 :laugh:. The fact that no one claimed him on waivers and he has already been assigned to Abby implies no other team thought enough of him to bring him on as a seventh defender.

Although, yes, the off-ice thing is possible. I think it's more probable than us making a trade today (though I hope I'm wrong).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
See, obviously a trade is coming. :laugh:

Noori, those numbers are atrocious. I don't really think Breen will do much better but it is a rebuild, might as well play our young guys.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
See, obviously a trade is coming. :laugh:

Noori, those numbers are atrocious. I don't really think Breen will do much better but it is a rebuild, might as well play our young guys.

I don't know if there is any real indication that we're going to play Breen, though. My understanding was that Smid's injury was relatively minor and he should be back on Tuesday.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Breen was called up earlier today.

Is it billins one dimensional game that is keeping him down there I wonder. Or that he is just too important to the Heat's defence to have him come up and play last line on the big club.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Is it billins one dimensional game that is keeping him down there I wonder. Or that he is just too important to the Heat's defence to have him come up and play last line on the big club.

Maybe its that the Flames have a surplus of defensemen that play that type of game. Billins is also 5'10" and 175 lbs. That's pretty small for a bottom pairing guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad