Prospect Info: Shane Bowers - C [via trade with Ottawa Senators]

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
AHL players should only have cars that drive in reverse...I wish I could find the link to Buccigross' article about Shjon Podein used to go to practice in a car that only had reverse. It was awesome. And to be honest, that is what AHL players should deal with while trying to get into the big-leagues.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
AHL players should only have cars that drive in reverse...I wish I could find the link to Buccigross' article about Shjon Podein used to go to practice in a car that only had reverse. It was awesome. And to be honest, that is what AHL players should deal with while trying to get into the big-leagues.
giphy (8).gif

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
In some preseason games, people here in the board and also coach Bednar, have said nice things from Bowers.

Could someone tell, what kind of player he is? Where the ”ceiling” for him might be? And how far he is from the Avs roster?

I watched the draft video from the first message and there someone described him TWF, Jonathan Toews ”like”.
I was okey, now I really need to hear updated info from this player because that sounds quite a long shot :)
Draft was 2017, so where he is now, 2 years later? I have never seen him play, stats dont tell anything so can someone tell, does this ”piece of Duchene trade” has any value?

Thanks.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
In some preseason games, people here in the board and also coach Bednar, have said nice things from Bowers.

Could someone tell, what kind of player he is? Where the ”ceiling” for him might be? And how far he is from the Avs roster?

I watched the draft video from the first message and there someone described him TWF, Jonathan Toews ”like”.
I was okey, now I really need to hear updated info from this player because that sounds quite a long shot :)
Draft was 2017, so where he is now, 2 years later? I have never seen him play, stats dont tell anything so can someone tell, does this ”piece of Duchene trade” has any value?

Thanks.
I've always seen him as more of a 3/4C type in the NHL, never really saw the offense or puck skills in him to become even a middle six type of player. He does have a very well developed defensive game that should make him a valuable player for the bottom six, but unless he takes a big step in his offense in the AHL I don't think he's ever going to be much of a scorer.

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
I've always seen him as more of a 3/4C type in the NHL, never really saw the offense or puck skills in him to become even a middle six type of player. He does have a very well developed defensive game that should make him a valuable player for the bottom six, but unless he takes a big step in his offense in the AHL I don't think he's ever going to be much of a scorer.

Thanks.
Is he far away from 3/4C spot in NHL?
Is it realistic if Not in this year, maybe next year? Or is it then, still too far away?
Of course, no one knows for sure but if you would have to guess?
Would be nice to know, because I have never seen him.
Could I wait him to be 3/4C in next 2 years or no.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is all in how the puck skills translate. Is there enough there to push to be a 2nd liner, or does he top out as an effort 30p guy? There are times he really fights the puck and can't seem to do much with it, and there are times he will really flash a good play. If the flashes start happening more and the lows are not grenade low, there is offense there. He's got a good shot, tenacious on the forecheck, speedy, underrated vision and offensive IQ... it is just about are the hands ever going to fully be there?

Without a doubt, I think his floor is a 3rd liner and that is more likely at center than not. The combination of his size, skating, physicality, and defense pretty much ensures there is enough to make a 3rd liner. I'd like to see him get offensive minutes in the AHL to round out that part of his game and get him used to a big PP role, but if he keeps impressing Bednar, he could break camp with the team. He's shown more than Kamenev, Greer, and Nuke thusfar.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His shot is what encourages me most about him being able to figure out some way to be offensively capable enough not to hold back more play-driving partners; like Newhook would hypothetically be by the time Bowers had to replace Kadri.

Still not sure that package translates to a legit 2C, rather than a 15-20 goal 10-15 assist 3C...but I do think there's enough of a skillset that there to fill an offensive role well enough for his play against the puck to earn him steady PT once he's ready.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Upside wise, I think he can be a 2C in the NHL. Like was already touched on, the skill is there and he has shown flashes of what he can do.

But its a matter of whether he can do that consistently and well enough to actually stick at that kind of upside. The good news is his all around game, his effort level, his instincts, everything else looks good so that even if the offensive puck skills dont translate, I think you still have an NHL forward here. Its basically just a question of whether you've got a 2C who can chip in ~20 Goals and 30-40 assists, or if he's more of a 3C who can pot 15 Goals and 15 Assists but never enough offensively to be relied upon in a Top 6 role.

Personally, I think he's going to wind up a 3C, and a damn good one at that. And if the organization works with him I think he could be a fantastic 3rd wheel for us behind Mack and Kadri.

I actually think he's forced Bednar to play him a little more this preseason and is earning himself a real look at a possible NHL roster spot on opening night, depending on how a couple injuries/Rantanen situation plays out.

Right now I think we've got:

Mack/Gabe/Kadri/Burakovsky/Donskoi/Compher/Jost/Nieto/Calvert

Those 9 guys are(barring injuries) going to play opening night. Then you've got Bellemare, and Wilson who are dealing with injuries right now and might not be available opening night, and you have the Rantanen situation that may make him unavailable.

So right now maybe 3 spots in the opening lineup up for grabs. And IMO you've got Nichushkin, Kamenev, Greer, Kaut, Bowers, and LOC who have either played well enough to make a case to be involved(This applies to Kaut, Bowers, and LOC), or they're still part of the equation simply because of age/opportunity.

What I think ends up happening if we have 3 spots available opening night, is Nuke, Kamenev, and LOC get the spots with Greer the 13th forward. Who I beleive have been most deserving of the 3 spots would be LOC, Nuke, and Bowers with Kaut the 13th forward.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In some ways it'd be worse if he ends up a 2C. I've said it many times (maybe even in this thread) but I think you could make a reasonable argument that the Avs have not adequately filled the 3C spot since Yelle got traded. Various players have come through and have ranged from adequate (Laperriere, Nikolishin) to horrid (Arnason, Shantz). O'Reilly was too good to be a 3C so he doesn't even count. They really need someone who can be reliable defensively and provide just enough scoring punch but not SO much that they fit better in a scoring line spot.

Not saying I'll be bummed if he somehow breaks through expectations like a pass rusher getting blocked by Garrett Bolles, but it'd be nice to finally get that 3rd line defensive guy they really, really need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad