Confirmed with Link: Shanahan Presser (Video)

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
Well I would argue he’s done quite a bit actually—perhaps too much.

What I don’t like is that he seemingly goes in one direction, doesn’t see things through to some type of logical conclusion and then changes direction again.

Case in point, he gets experienced executives in Lou and Babcock, the team is progressing nicely, and then mid stream, he lets Lou leave and goes in the opposite direction and gives the reins to Dubas. He then lets Dubas fire Babcock and hire a coach in Keefe with zero NHL experience.

We started this rebuild process with the mindset that this market, given the nature of the pressure involved, is best suited to being led by experienced executives. The JFJ experiment reinforced that mindset. Yet only a short time later, a 32 year old GM with no NHL experience is chosen to take the GM reins.

Now Shanahan professes he wants to go back to a GM with NHL experience.

In fairness, Shanahan’s biggest responsibility is being ownership’s public spokesperson and team representative, but we don’t know what their role is in any of these direction pivots.
It’s the organizational USB cord. Try it one way, doesn’t work. Try the other way, doesn’t work. Try it the first way again… it works!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
His team this year was good enough to win. Full stop.

At some point the players need to be held accountable.
I’m not sure that a team playing it’s AHL goalie in the second round is good enough to win.
secondly maybe if a Dubas had held these core players accountable the last 2-5 years maybe they might of went further……..sounds like a Dubas problem

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’m sure this is all a part of the long term vision of the Shanascam

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Take away the starter (ours was Samsonov, to be clear) and how many teams are 100% confident in their goaltending?
Samsonov took the starter roll because Murray was either so bad or so often injured.
I do how ever remember the talk that Murray was projected to be 1a because of his 2 cups years ago and Sammy was the long shot.
a
All the other stuff aside that is one of my biggest problems with Dubas is is poor goaltending choices.
The timing of the Dubas firing is kinda inconvenient but it’s not going to be as big a deal as some might think.
Reality is after 5 years with this gifted core and all those trade deadline moves the best he could manage was 2 more playoff wins Then last year, one of them resulted in a single round…….not good enough.
The thing that brought about his ultimate release was the crazy presser where he told the world that he wasn’t even sure if he wanted to be the Leafs GM anymore but it would be the Leafs or nothing and he would not pop up as the GM of another team. What was Shanny suppose to do under those circumstances………he couldn’t trust him but ultimately he notified Dubas that he wanted him back. Then Dubas sends from all accounts a completely new demand for money and control.
I am certainly not a Shanny fan and wish he was gone as well but he had no choice after being jerked around like that

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
and here I thought we were finally going to escape the "biggest joke of a franchise" crap and we're just turning into a bigger joke of a franchise.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
People have to get over it. Dubas is a talented guy, but the results speak for themselves.
I think what people are worried about is how quickly a bad GM can destroy a hockey team. While Dubas wasn't perfect, he made moves that balanced the present and the future. Compared to GMs like Burke who came in thinking he was gonna win a cup with a last place team in less than 5 years by trading away 2 first round picks for Kessel. Burke set us back 8 years. I think Kyle did a go good job overall, and hopefully the next guy doesn't do anything to crazy, like trade Matthews and Marner for 30 cents on the dollar.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think what people are worried about is how quickly a bad GM can destroy a hockey team. While Dubas wasn't perfect, he made moves that balanced the present and the future. Compared to GMs like Burke who came in thinking he was gonna win a cup with a last place team in less than 5 years by trading away 2 first round picks for Kessel. Burke set us back 8 years. I think Kyle did a go good job overall, and hopefully the next guy doesn't do anything to crazy, like trade Matthews and Marner for 30 cents on the dollar.
As this team stood, they would have been a non playoff team within two years. They are already becoming stale and never won anything of significance. He accomplished nothing in Toronto-nothing!

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

In 15-plus years of covering the NHL on a daily full-time basis, I have never seen a press conference like that where someone gets slapped on their way out. To me, it speaks to how it all went down. The tone of what was relayed to the public gives some sort of insight into what happened behind the scenes even though they didn’t spell it out.

My belief is that this wasn’t a financial leverage play that bothered the Toronto Maple Leafs. Brendan Shanahan makes, I think, $7 million per year. I don’t think that they’re offended by anyone asking for more money.

What I believe happened behind the scenes is that Kyle Dubas made a push to get Brendan Shanahan out of hockey operations and decision-making. He wanted complete and full autonomy and that this was a power struggle that took place.

How else do you explain the reaction? Have you ever seen the detail, to that magnitude, laid out in front of you at a press conference? A pure timeline, and even including such things as ‘Kyle sent me an email and said he’d like to stay.’ Who sends an email to keep their job?

Working through all of it, I’ve been saying for months if you listen to me that there’s been friction between Brendan Shanahan and Kyle Dubas. And I’ve seen other reports trying to shit on that reporting and downplay it. It’s just the truth. It’s what’s been happening behind the scenes for months now.

In fact, I think it goes back all the way to when Shanahan blocked Dubas from getting the Colorado Avalanche job back in 2017. This has been ongoing, it’s been festering, and Kyle Dubas felt like had the goods to make a play for the job, the way he wants to do it with his own autonomy.

When you come for the boss’s job, you’d better have the goods. And Dubas lost.

Reactions: daveleaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad