Confirmed with Link: Shanahan Presser (Video)

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Shanny should be gone too. He brought in Dubas and tbh this was well overdue. Had Dubas not expressed he was considering stepping away, he would have extended him. If Shanny can't make some good decisions and get results this year he should be gone too. It's overdue at this point. Era of accountability.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

That was some big revelations. Dubas used media to get more money out of it and IMO played a part in the presser. It was about money apparently huh

Dubas must have his head up his arse
Lucky he got an offer at all with his "results"
I'd love a job where I failed to meet expectations year after year and get a raise and more responsibility

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada

That was some big revelations. Dubas used media to get more money out of it and IMO played a part in the presser. It was about money apparently huh

Liked shanahans thought process

Watching this again it just feels like dubas knows how much of a mess he has made here specially with the contract/cap situation and he wanted out

Asked for too much so that it’s the leafs letting him go and not him leaving!!
Good luck buddy!!!

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The 2 most striking and crafted things in this talk

- he made a conscientious effort several times to note he specifically travelled to dubas in his office to speak face to face and it was not reciprocated
- the detail about the email ... 'email' thursday night with an updated package request.. but adding financial. So it was either money which makes the family stress better or if dubas says not money at some point he gets asked well what was it then

Very well done

Reactions: binop7

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Were they not taking because Dubas pulled a "Talk to my agent" when the season started?
Lol
The Kyle is busy

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
The comments here are quite baffling - regardless of how you see it - Dubas was one of our best GMs in the past few decades.

He put our team in a position to succeed - and I don't see how you can blame him for the playoff failures. If anything - by his emotions during the games you can tell he was all in.

Failure is on the coach and players - this team was built as best as you could and I don't see how any other GM would have changed it.

Sure he had some major blunders along the way with Contracts, Mrazek, Murray - but you can't always win with GMs and Kyle was way more good than bad (which isn't what you can say often across the league).

Here's to hoping we don't land a Ken Holland, Jim Benning, Peter Chiarelli and enter a dark era

Just remember - our ship is in the hands of Shanahan - the man on a power trip that was the head of the DoPS when crosby got murdered and Cooke ran wild.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Shanny’s trying to save face here and throw Dubas under the bus. Yeah Dubas overplayed his hand but at the same time Shanny is trying to get everyone to overlook that he doesn’t seem to have a plan B set up at a critical time where the core players are approaching having NMC’s and in need of a change.

This is a bad time to have uncertainty, because Leafs have an opportunity to pivot with their core, with value in the trade market, and retool the roster.

I have bad vibes going into this off-season

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Shanny’s trying to save face here and throw Dubas under the bus. Yeah Dubas overplayed his hand but at the same time Shanny is trying to get everyone to overlook that he doesn’t seem to have a plan B set up at a critical time where the core players are approaching having NMC’s and in need of a change.

This is a bad time to have uncertainty, because Leafs have an opportunity to pivot with their core, with value in the trade market, and retool the roster.

The lack of paln B is getting obscenely overlooked right now.

His entire plan for the offseason was simply "obviously Dubas will sign an extension" - which clearly didn't happen.....

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

Of course he doesn’t when everything was pointing to Dubas coming back. Throws them for a surprise with his press on Monday and pulls a fast one with a higher contract demand Thursday.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

His plan B is Brad Treliving. Mirtle said on his podcast that its been out there for months. Johnston reported Treliving is the favourite.

Shanahan sucks

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The comments here are quite baffling - regardless of how you see it - Dubas was one of our best GMs in the past few decades.

He put our team in a position to succeed - and I don't see how you can blame him for the playoff failures. If anything - by his emotions during the games you can tell he was all in.

Failure is on the coach and players - this team was built as best as you could and I don't see how any other GM would have changed it.

Sure he had some major blunders along the way with Contracts, Mrazek, Murray - but you can't always win with GMs and Kyle was way more good than bad (which isn't what you can say often across the league).

Here's to hoping we don't land a Ken Holland, Jim Benning, Peter Chiarelli and enter a dark era

Just remember - our ship is in the hands of Shanahan - the man on a power trip that was the head of the DoPS when crosby got murdered and Cooke ran wild.
I'd argue he's the worst GM in decades. AT least the past garbage teams didn't have numerous elite talents on ELCs out the gate.

Dubas completely dropped the ball on the best opportunity we've seen in decades.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why is Lord Shanahan safe? Maybe the problem starts with him? Of Shanahan, Dubas, Keefe, I'll take Dubas. Keefe has to go. If Shanahan brings in some re-tread on his third or fourth try with a team. Just blow it up.
Shanny is safe for now is simply bc of he does. Which is the business side of Hockey. I know Masai seems to be involve with day to day stuff but as the President of Hockey Ops, the team is just part of his duties. Dubas failed but what made Dubas failed? Coaching and betting on the wrong players. Shanny should really not be interfering with Coaching or players management, thats micro management.
Will Shanny be safe forever, not a chance but teams underachieving in playoffs is not a reason to fire the President.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The same elite talents who have underperformed in the playoffs? Is that such an advantage?
Weak leaders give you weak teams. Like I said 5 years ago....he's the step-Dad that buys you whatever you want to buy your love. These kids needed a strict Dad. We had that.

Minute Dubas walks in these clowns run a train on him and start wearing jogging pants and purses to work. LOL.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
So from the article I read. It seems Dubas and Shanny had a deal in place, he spoke at the press conference questioning his commitment to the team due to family, his agent send another offer on Thursday with higher financial rewards, he text Shanny Thursday night saying he still wanted to be the Leafs GM and Shanny got annoyed with the obvious ploy for more money and fired him Friday at the practice rink.

That's all from an article quoting Shannahan. I know its one sided but if those are the facts, even as someone who liked things that Dubas had done, that's some little league B.S when you already had a contract in place and to play on emotions.

Whatever, we didn't win in the Dubas years, so here's hoping the futures brighter. We shall see how it all plays out.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

I’d love to see that contract counter from Dubas. Maybe he wanted more then just money. It could have been a bigger role.

Either way, Dubas went for the moon. It will be really hard to do better than the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. But I do think he will land a GM job at some point. So it’s not like he can’t go somewhere and win a cup either.

If Dubas truly wanted to remain GM of the TML then he totally botched this situation.

If he only wanted to stay for max dollars and if not then leave for a better environment, then he played it decently. He maintains perception of being a desired commodity and he will get a chance to go to a calmer environment at some point.

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

That’s not bad at all.

1. Last year they speak and both are okay with letting the next season play out before they talk a deal, good.

2. TDL it’s broached again and both are amenable but don’t want it to be a distraction. Again good, but this should have been a clear message to either of them.

3. Shanahan recognizes it’s tough on families and it is - but working for the Leafs is a privilege and it is, and certain things come with being a public figure, which they do. Shanahan has almost certainly dealt with it himself for years - you think Craig Janney has him over for Christmas?

4. Even after the series - and overall it was not a bad series, Florida just played better playoff hockey - the offer is still on the table. I’m thinking Shanny and Dubas were both having second thoughts.

5. Both have a think and get back to it.

6. Kyle wants to speak to the press which he can, Shanahan thinks it’s a bad idea but okays it, again good, supporting his GM.

7. An absolutely oof!/10 press conference. He was meek, let a couple Freudian slips out in the first few minutes, backing but not quite backing his coach and players, ‘I’m an emotional guy’ which is the worst possible answer to a stupid question about the non issue with the fans in Tampa (‘everything is being recorded now!’), a few excuses regarding prospects like Robertson, and yes; it’s awful that people went after his family, but fame and influence come with a cost, always have and always will.

9 years is more than enough to learn that.

He was concrete when talking about himself but noncommittal when talking about the team. Not good Kyle.

8. A few days of silence, and then the counter is sent; more money, term or privileges who really knows Shanahan seems to infer it was more money but I bet aspects of the other two featured.

9. Shanny backs out and the team releases him. Shanahan was in full command during his press conference, candid and eloquent - people believe he hasn’t been talking to other guys for 2-3 years, just to see how they’d feel?

I don’t blame Dubas for the team failing, not entirely, he’s the one who built it, he made moves and brought in guys but his best horses didn’t even show up for the race.

But he’s the one who negotiated the deals for them that took it to this point, where now something has to be done. They’re upset he’s gone but they could have stopped it.

I also don’t blame Shanahan for firing him, if that is how it all went down. Shanahan seems to have given him a great deal of autonomy but not full autonomy.

Buckle up, ladies and gentlemen, because we’ve got a summer ahead of us. No more ‘They learned lessons’ (they didn’t) and ‘they’ll improve next year (they haven’t) and ‘105 points like it’s nothing’ (so what?). 90% we see some big changes and I welcome them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad