Sportsnet: Shanahan: Leafs’ off-season work still going on

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If this seasons team plays as badly as some past teams, we can only hope we try something different for once. This shakeup of the big wigs this summer gives me some degree of hope that change is coming.

well if my math is right, we will have the least amount of self drafted players on our roster in the entire league.

now call it a "copy cat" premise or just "going with the flow" or "seeing how the cup winners" have done it .

The importance of drafting high and well has been vital in the building of cup champs for some time now.

Seeing how my faith in our scouting department is suspect, I would like to see a full shotgun approach, "draft high" and have plenty of "extra", increase the odds of success, draft slots.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Ok ,for example.

It is trade deadline, the team is 18th and has begun its "Fire Carlyle" listless, no one cares play.If someone like Lupul will get you a good prospect and a late first, you do it? Someone offers a 2nd for Robidas?

We let too many guys walk for nothing and then we still did Bleep all.

"We could have had 3 first rounders for MACa, Grabo and Kulemin." Instead we got zip.

We let Raymond walk for nothing and then didnt even make the playoffs.

Over the years we have done quite well with 2nd rounders,why not at least trade older players for picks?

If Bernier gets injured or doesn't play at least as well as last year, I doubt we do anything anyway.

PS: I don't doubt our scouting staff, it is all the picks they dont get to draft with that is the problem.How many 2nd rounders have Nonnis and Burke thrown away? Meanwhile the last one(2nd) we took was Finn.

The problem is not our scouting staff, it is our GM's hating picks for some bizarre reason,.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It is trade deadline, the team is 18th and has begun its "Fire Carlyle" listless, no one cares play.If someone like Lupul will get you a good prospect and a late first, you do it? Someone offers a 2nd for Robidas?

We let too many guys walk for nothing and then we still did Bleep all.

"We could have had 3 first rounders for MACa, Grabo and Kulemin." Instead we got zip.

We let Raymond walk for nothing and then didnt even make the playoffs.

Over the years we have done quite well with 2nd rounders,why not at least trade older players for picks?

If Bernier gets injured or doesn't play at least as well as last year, I doubt we do anything anyway.

PS: I don't doubt our scouting staff, it is all the picks they dont get to draft with that is the problem.How many 2nd rounders have Nonnis and Burke thrown away? Meanwhile the last one(2nd) we took was Finn.

The problem is not our scouting staff, it is our GM's hating picks for some bizarre reason,.

If we are in a bad spot at trading deadline, I think the first thing we see go are our players with 1 year on the contract and with decent seasons/reputations. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if we don't take the opportunity to be a seller in that situation.

Trading Deadline can often inflate prices, and it's something we should use if the opportunity is there and the season has gone badly.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
We will see Gardiner and Kadri really step it up this year. That is my prediction.
Gardiner 40+ point with a good all around game
Kadri 60+ point playing more responsibly and winning faceoffs.

This team is finally going to start putting it together and winning games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad