Sportsnet: Shanahan: Leafs’ off-season work still going on

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Shanahan has really impressed me with his pro-activeness. You need a guy like that when Nonis is the GM. On the downside, forget about that top 10 pick next summer.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Shanahan .. "I really just think that you just want to do things the right way," he said. "When you talk about making big changes, it’s really about doing a whole lot of little things the right way."

leafstilldeath*

from the article

One thing left on Shanahan’s off-season to-do list was meeting with captain Dion Phaneuf, who will be starting a US$49-million, seven-year contract signed at the Winter Classic. Shanahan seemed ready to make his trip to Prince Edward Island to see Phaneuf.

"We’ve scheduled some time to spend together," Shanahan said. "I think he’s out catching me some lobsters right now."

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
yeah, very interesting.

few ideas:

a) ask if he's interested in a trade?
b) planning to rip the C off him and give it to someone else
c) ask what he wants from the team and how he thinks it should be built.

A and B are completely out of the question lmao. C is more likley to the extent that he just wants to get insight into Dion's views for where the team stands and is headed. Captain and management should always be on the same page and have a decent relationship.

leafstilldeath*

yeah, very interesting.

few ideas:

a) ask if he's interested in a trade?
b) planning to rip the C off him and give it to someone else
c) ask what he wants from the team and how he thinks it should be built.

Correct me if I am wrong but from I recall Shanahan didn't talk much about Dion trade i.e. Phaneuf was in talks/shopped (my guess)

However, Shanahan did come out and say that he is not thinking about taking the "C" away from Dion and that he wants to help Dion be a better leader

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/16/blue-jays-gm-alex-anthopoulos-set-to-return-next-year

A little bird who usually knows these things whispered this the other day: Brendan Shanahan’s deal with the Maple Leafs is apparently five years and $2.5 million a year ...

SHANNY'S MAKING IT HIS TEAM

Brendan Shanahan met with Dion Phaneuf for a couple of days in Prince Edward Island. This came after a three-hour dinner with Phil Kessel, which is at least two hours more than most of us could handle.

This is what Shanahan is doing with the Maple Leafs: In every department, in every way. He is talking but more than that he is listening. He is asking all kind of questions. He wants to know what everybody does, more than that, he wants to know what everybody is thinking.

And in a short time on the job, without any headline of a singular move, he has maintained Randy Carlyle, but wiped out his coaching staff; maintained Dave Nonis, but wiped out much of his front office; maintained one of his media relations people, fired his PR chief, and sent one to the Marlies and called one up.

That’s three departments turned upside down and more to come.

It may not sound like much, overall. It may not excite Leafs fans. But it’s Shanahan’s belief that a whole lot of small changes can result in large change down the road for the organization. Shanahan is building his organization, his way.

MrLegend28*

our new president is going to talk to his captain?? Holy moly thats big news!!! in other news water is wet

MrLegend28*

why are we posting Steve Simmons articles? :s

"This came after a three-hour dinner with Phil Kessel, which is at least two hours more than most of us could handle."

Does Steve Simmons not realize hes a loser? like, a full blown, 100%, no doubt loser?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario

"This came after a three-hour dinner with Phil Kessel, which is at least two hours more than most of us could handle."

Does Steve Simmons not realize hes a loser? like, a full blown, 100%, no doubt loser?

:laugh: i know right. he's probably the biggest/ugliest nerd in the media.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

You are 100% right. I just can't stand the sight of his face. :laugh: Always has to throw a negative smart ass comment towards the leafs players. Simmonds :dunce:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

He's even worse on radio & television.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I remember when Shanahan was first hired as President one of the things he said was that he wanted to help Dion become a better leader and captain. No doubt that's what their meeting will be about. Good sign.

I know a lot of people aren't too fond of Dion as captain. Admittedly I am probably one of those people only because of our teams history and the great captains that have come before him. I'm sure many feel the same way as I do. Having said that, there isn't really another candidate that stands out and would be more worthy. So as far as next season is concerned whatever happens in the future, I think it's very important that Shanahan makes him feel good about his role wearing the C by giving him his full support, and helps him to improve his leadership skills (he will no doubt have a lot of advice to give him from his playing career on being a leader). That will be very good for the team.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Correct me if I am wrong but from I recall Shanahan didn't talk much about Dion trade i.e. Phaneuf was in talks/shopped (my guess)

However, Shanahan did come out and say that he is not thinking about taking the "C" away from Dion and that he wants to help Dion be a better leader

If anyone can help Dion be a better leader it will be Shanny.
Besides it is good to have everyone on the same page and Dion not being a good leader is mostly internet hyperbole.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If anyone can help Dion be a better leader it will be Shanny.
Besides it is good to have everyone on the same page and Dion not being a good leader is mostly internet hyperbole.

How does one measure a good leader if not by success and failure of the team he leads?

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
How does one measure a good leader if not by success and failure of the team he leads?

even if we get dustin brown in here, i doubt the team will instantly become contendors. Team success has a lot more factors to it than just leadership IMO.

That said we brought it Clarkson, Robidas, Komarov who can possibly create a better environment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad