Post-Game Talk: Shameful Leafs lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Its crazy to me that some fans can complain about the defensive breakdowns leading to goals against - like all 3 goals last game - and in the same breath say equivalent chances for the Leafs are planned and not all that dangerous.

Its fine if you take either perspective, but its a tough argument to say its both

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I sat back and tried to figure out what's really causing the issues here. (Bob aside)

We're having a difficult time get the puck up the ice from the back... so odd considering we've cried for net clearers/beef for a long time.

Brodie, Giordano and Liljgren have been an issue in this regard.

(Schenn/McCabe are what they are)

This is the glaring issue. Pronger is the ideal playoff D but his hits and elbows are just the icing on top of his best skill being his first pass.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
People are acting like Florida has dominated us in this series so far and I truly don't get it. They're really lucky to be up 2-0 on us. I'm predicting the Leafs take the next 2 in Sunrise.
Well we are a better all round team on the road.
Home advantage is (in all sports)is now a thing of the past.
The advantage today is favoring road teams.
Leafs win tomorrow,Go Leafs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
People are acting like Florida has dominated us in this series so far and I truly don't get it. They're really lucky to be up 2-0 on us. I'm predicting the Leafs take the next 2 in Sunrise.
Yep

The Leafs have definitely made a few brain farts worth of plays, but there's no way that anyone could have actually watched the 120 minutes of hockey played this series and argue that the Panthers have dominated the majority of that times or even 50% of that time.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Just saw an interview with Marner, he said, they just gotta continue to do what they are doing ... you know what they say about doing the same thing expecting different results.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Maybe Gudas scares them more then anyone on Tampa.

Yep

The Leafs have definitely made a few brain farts worth of plays, but there's no way that anyone could have actually watched the 120 minutes of hockey played this series and argue that the Panthers have dominated the majority of that times or even 50% of that time.
I know, but it’s those foot off the pedal moments. Leafs just looked like they were already winning this series and all they needed to do was show up.

I really hope they give a full 60 tomorrow and blow them out.

I thought there were going to blow out Florida gm2 but….. well the game was over after 15 minutes into the first…….

Reactions: Menzinger

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Not only does MLSE cut a cheque to keep the Panthers afloat, but their players laugh at ours as they bully them on the ice. After these playoffs I am going to take a nice long break from NHL hockey. Didn't really tune into too many regular season games this year, which was probably why I felt relatively empty inside even after they beat the Lightening.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Yep

The issue isn't whether or not the Leafs are playing well, they are; however, they are also playing into Florida's system. Florida pounces on defensive errors to punish its opponents.

With the type of personnel at the disposal of Keefe we should be playing a trap/counter attacking game ourselves. If the Leafs can limit their mistakes and keep the Panthers on the outside they would suck the life out of them. God, I would kill to have Rod Brindamour as the Leafs head coach right now.

Reactions: geo25 and theTTC

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Yep

Agreed but the problem is most mistakes end up in our net and their mistakes do not

Just saw an interview with Marner, he said, they just gotta continue to do what they are doing ... you know what they say about doing the same thing expecting different results.
Continue to do what they are doin, what’s that……losing.
great idea genius Marner.

Reactions: Menzinger

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Right, it is just goalie after goalie that is bad. Orrr maybe being “clutch” is really just that you won. Samsonov was not the reason the Leafs lost.
I never said they were bad, I was replying to a post saying Samsonov let in a bad goal and addressing the fact this seems to be pattern for Leaf goalies in the playoffs and since Shanahan has been running this team we haven't had a stellar starting goalie.
I actually like Sammy and think he's been as good as anyone else we've had the last decade, but letting soft goals in like Florida's 2nd last game is inexcusable. Saying that, I agree the goalie shouldn't be taking the majority of the blame, the team needs to tighten up defensively and bury some of the many chances we had.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
Why do the Leafs get “goalied“ so often in the playoffs?
It's actually pretty simple - the Leafs are stuck on the perimeter. They beat the Lightening by creating traffic in front and simply shooting from the point. Against Florida there's basically no Leaf players in front of the net other than when they pull the goalie and go 6-5. I don't know if the players are dense or if their coach is dense.

If a goalie can't see the pick, it doesn't matter how well he's playing. They're not even creating rebound opportunities.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
The NHL is similar to HFboards... All they really care about is the ad money. Leafs losing is somehow seen as good for business. They don't realize we are all losing hope.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
The worst is when other teams get rebounds. Lots of wacks, shots on net. Leafs? No rebounds whatevsover. Either goalie covers or a clean clear.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's actually pretty simple - the Leafs are stuck on the perimeter. They beat the Lightening by creating traffic in front and simply shooting from the point. Against Florida there's basically no Leaf players in front of the net other than when they pull the goalie and go 6-5. I don't know if the players are dense or if their coach is dense.

If a goalie can't see the pick, it doesn't matter how well he's playing. They're not even creating rebound opportunities.
They do like the perimeter, which is especially evident on the PP, however they got some slot shots in game 2 , but the goalie was in position and easily made the saves.

They beat TB partially because of Cernak‘s injury, which made it easier to navigate in the offensive zone, but mostly because Vasi played like garbage.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The NHL is similar to HFboards... All they really care about is the ad money. Leafs losing is somehow seen as good for business. They don't realize we are all losing hope.
I’ve tried to estimate the lost revenue the Leafs have pissed away while training Dubas. It’s a lot.

Sportsnet has both a stake in the team and the broadcast rights and have lost gazillions of dollars. I don’t buy that NHL is out to get their largest partner.

These playoffs are a disaster in the US. All they have to sell in round 2 is Tkachuk, Matthews, Vegas and Seattle.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's wild that there are people who have convinced themselves, against all evidence, that we're a perimeter team that doesn't get HDSC/traffic/screens/tips/rebounds.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

THIS^.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
He and the rest of the core only care about themselves and the $$$. I'm of the opinion the Cup dosent mean as much to them and they either dont have what it takes to punch through or, dont want to sacrifice themselves. Regular season is like pond hockey to them, hence the points...but, when it REALLY matters...like now, you cant rely on them. I would trade all of them for Tkachuk type heart & grit players. I doubt Dubas would do it so I'd can him & everyone else as well.They havent learned a thing from all these years of failure.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

I hate the attitude coming through in several of the interviews in the playoffs this year.

Keep doing what you’re doing? Losing?

Show some fire man

Reactions: geo25 and Hellcat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad