Prospect Info: Shakir Mukhamadullin (#20 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
is there really a "risk" for 1st round picks not coming over though? Honest question, I can't think of any the past few years.

Usually the drama is with the mid to late round guys IIRC.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
is there really a "risk" for 1st round picks not coming over though? Honest question, I can't think of any the past few years.

Kaprizov?
He was not a first round pick but lit the KHL up.
I’m not saying there is an issue , just asking if teams still see it as a risk.
When is his KHL contract up? One more year there ?

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey

Taking a really quick at a random period of time....2013 - 2019, it seems like every first round pick drafted in the out of the Russian leagues has come over to play in North America. It's still a bit too early for the 2020 and 2021 drafts, but here's how it looks for that period of time:

2013:

-Valeri Nichushkin - 10th overall: Came over immediately and played for the Dallas organization for about 3 years...then went back to the KHL for the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons...then came back to play a year with Dallas and is now with Colorado

-Marko Dano - 27th overall: Not a Russian player and not a Russian team (Slovan Bratislava), but I'll count him because Slovan was in the KHL when he was drafted so he was technically drafted out of the Russian league. I remember Dano getting thrown around in quite a few trades. But in terms of coming over to North America, Dano played his d+1 year in the KHL and then came over to join the CBJ organization...still playing within North America as of last season (with a loan to the Slovak league for covid I presume)

-Nikita Zadorov was the other Russian player drafted in the 1st round, but he was drafted out of London of the OHL

2014:

No players drafted from KHL or Russian Juniors in the 1st round. Nikita Scherbak and Nikolay Goldobin were drafted at 26th and 27th overall respectively, but both playing in Canadian Juniors at the time.

2015:

-Denis Gurianov - 12th overall: Another Dallas pick. Gurianov played his d+1 with the KHL and then came over to play in the Dallas organization for his d+2 year. Gurianov is still playing in the Dallas organization as of last season.

-Ilya Samsonov - 22nd overall: Goalies take a little longer, but Samsonov played his d+1, +2, and +3 seasons in the KHL. He was pretty much always on the radar for Washington but he finally came over to North America for the 2018-2019 season. Samsonov is still playing in the Washington organization as of last season.

The other Russians drafted in the 2015 first round were Ivan Provorov (7th overall) and Yevgeni Svechnikov (19th overall). Both were drafted out of Canadian juniors.

2016:

-German Rubtsov - 22nd overall: Drafted out of the short-lived Team Russia U18 program (the same team as Mikhail Maltsev), Rubtsov played his d+1 year with Podolsk of the KHL and then came over to North America to play in the Q later that year. It's really unfortunate the direction his development took after he took an incredibly dirty hit that gave him a massive concussion. Rubtsov played in the Philadelphia organization from 2018-2020 and just recently went back to play with Sochi of the KHL.

The other Russian player drafted in the 2016 first round was Mikhail Sergachev (9th overall), who was drafted out of Winsdor of the OHL.

2017:

-Klim Kostin - 31st overall: Kostin was drafted from Dynamo Moscow of the KHL and came over to play in the AHL immediately for his d+1 season. He hasn't quite cracked the NHL line-up for St. Louis but he's still playing in the STL system (with a brief loan to Omsk of the KHL this past year).

2018::

-Vitali Kravtsov - 9th overall: Kravtsov played hi d+1 year with the KHL, then came over to play in 2019-2020. He ended up playing in the AHL and I guess he wasn't too thrilled with that, so he ended up going back to Chelyabinsk for the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. He will be playing next season with the Rangers NHL team (and even got to play 20 NHL games at the end of last season).

-Grigori Denisenko - 15th overall: Played his d+1 and d+2 seasons in the KHL. Denisenko came over to North America for the 2020-2021 season where he split time between the NHL and AHL.

The other Russians drafted in the first round in 2018 were Andrei Svechnikov (2nd overall) and Alexander Alexeyev (31st overall), both of whom were drafted out of Canadian Juniors.

2019:

-Vasili Podkolzin - 10th overall: Podkolzin played his d+1 and d+2 seasons with the KHL and just recently signed his ELC (back in late May), so he'll be playing in the Canucks organization starting this upcoming season. I would presume he'll be on the NHL team.

Still too early to tell for the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kaprizov?
He was not a first round pick but lit the KHL up.
I’m not saying there is an issue , just asking if teams still see it as a risk.
When is his KHL contract up? One more year there ?

But that's exactly the point, once Kaprizov lights up the KHL, the NHL entry contract rules make it such that he will earn less money here than he would there. It's not an accident he came over when his ELC was finally down to just one year with him burning off a year in the Return To Play.

The larger concern with Russian players is them using the KHL as leverage to demand more money here, but lately we're not seeing a lot of that. I think it's noteworthy that Kaprizov isn't signed there, that Gusev has yet to return to the KHL, and that Ovechkin signed for 5 years in the NHL this off-season - I just don't think those Russian teams have the money to pay guys $2M+ US tax-free anymore, not with the KHL salary cap that's been established.

Regardless, the Devils expect Mukhamadullin to come over next year.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Taking a really quick at a random period of time....2013 - 2019, it seems like every first round pick drafted in the out of the Russian leagues has come over to play in North America. It's still a bit too early for the 2020 and 2021 drafts, but here's how it looks for that period of time:

2013:

-Valeri Nichushkin - 10th overall: Came over immediately and played for the Dallas organization for about 3 years...then went back to the KHL for the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons...then came back to play a year with Dallas and is now with Colorado

-Marko Dano - 27th overall: Not a Russian player and not a Russian team (Slovan Bratislava), but I'll count him because Slovan was in the KHL when he was drafted so he was technically drafted out of the Russian league. I remember Dano getting thrown around in quite a few trades. But in terms of coming over to North America, Dano played his d+1 year in the KHL and then came over to join the CBJ organization...still playing within North America as of last season (with a loan to the Slovak league for covid I presume)

-Nikita Zadorov was the other Russian player drafted in the 1st round, but he was drafted out of London of the OHL

2014:

No players drafted from KHL or Russian Juniors in the 1st round. Nikita Scherbak and Nikolay Goldobin were drafted at 26th and 27th overall respectively, but both playing in Canadian Juniors at the time.

2015:

-Denis Gurianov - 12th overall: Another Dallas pick. Gurianov played his d+1 with the KHL and then came over to play in the Dallas organization for his d+2 year. Gurianov is still playing in the Dallas organization as of last season.

-Ilya Samsonov - 22nd overall: Goalies take a little longer, but Samsonov played his d+1, +2, and +3 seasons in the KHL. He was pretty much always on the radar for Washington but he finally came over to North America for the 2018-2019 season. Samsonov is still playing in the Washington organization as of last season.

The other Russians drafted in the 2015 first round were Ivan Provorov (7th overall) and Yevgeni Svechnikov (19th overall). Both were drafted out of Canadian juniors.

2016:

-German Rubtsov - 22nd overall: Drafted out of the short-lived Team Russia U18 program (the same team as Mikhail Maltsev), Rubtsov played his d+1 year with Podolsk of the KHL and then came over to North America to play in the Q later that year. It's really unfortunate the direction his development took after he took an incredibly dirty hit that gave him a massive concussion. Rubtsov played in the Philadelphia organization from 2018-2020 and just recently went back to play with Sochi of the KHL.

The other Russian player drafted in the 2016 first round was Mikhail Sergachev (9th overall), who was drafted out of Winsdor of the OHL.

2017:

-Klim Kostin - 31st overall: Kostin was drafted from Dynamo Moscow of the KHL and came over to play in the AHL immediately for his d+1 season. He hasn't quite cracked the NHL line-up for St. Louis but he's still playing in the STL system (with a brief loan to Omsk of the KHL this past year).

2018::

-Vitali Kravtsov - 9th overall: Kravtsov played hi d+1 year with the KHL, then came over to play in 2019-2020. He ended up playing in the AHL and I guess he wasn't too thrilled with that, so he ended up going back to Chelyabinsk for the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. He will be playing next season with the Rangers NHL team (and even got to play 20 NHL games at the end of last season).

-Grigori Denisenko - 15th overall: Played his d+1 and d+2 seasons in the KHL. Denisenko came over to North America for the 2020-2021 season where he split time between the NHL and AHL.

The other Russians drafted in the first round in 2018 were Andrei Svechnikov (2nd overall) and Alexander Alexeyev (31st overall), both of whom were drafted out of Canadian Juniors.

2019:

-Vasili Podkolzin - 10th overall: Podkolzin played his d+1 and d+2 seasons with the KHL and just recently signed his ELC (back in late May), so he'll be playing in the Canucks organization starting this upcoming season. I would presume he'll be on the NHL team.

Still too early to tell for the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

Chinakhov will goin to play in CBJ system next season.
BuT dOnT dRaFt FrOm RuSsIA!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
But that's exactly the point, once Kaprizov lights up the KHL, the NHL entry contract rules make it such that he will earn less money here than he would there. It's not an accident he came over when his ELC was finally down to just one year with him burning off a year in the Return To Play.

The larger concern with Russian players is them using the KHL as leverage to demand more money here, but lately we're not seeing a lot of that. I think it's noteworthy that Kaprizov isn't signed there, that Gusev has yet to return to the KHL, and that Ovechkin signed for 5 years in the NHL this off-season - I just don't think those Russian teams have the money to pay guys $2M+ US tax-free anymore, not with the KHL salary cap that's been established.

Regardless, the Devils expect Mukhamadullin to come over next year.
He was 4th draft and the effort was a little iffy early on to get Kaprizov over. 1st round draft picks are different, teams tend to sign all of them very early on.

The relationship between the leagues have changed, running hot and cold in terms of the level of hostility/cooperation and some players are more interested in coming over than others. And there isn’t one Generic Russian Player Guy throughout time.

The Devils have made it clear they want to bring Muk over when his contract is done next off-season and he seemed like he really wants to play in the NHL (going on what he said after the draft).

He’s the one KHL player I have basically zero worries about (as much as you can about an unsigned player, there’s always some unknown there). The other ones I can’t really gauge the team’s or player’s interest, so *shrug*, and I’m going more on hope with them.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Depending on how Mukh does this season and whether he comes over in the next season (I’m confident he will), he could very well be our own Moritz Seider. No one is saying that guy was a teach anymore.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Perhaps the “risk” of the player staying in the KHL has something to do with not perceiving Shak as a good pick to be used at that position in the draft relative to his skill set ? I completely disagree with that but I’m just trying to come up with ideas why people crap on the Devils taking him where they did ?
I know he was seen as a little of a reach but was it warranted to be seen as that much of a reach based off of ability alone. If he was the same player but his name was Frenchie LaRue from Quebec , would he have been crapped on as much as he has been ?

I think it really comes down to Russia (and Europe for that matter) not having the same scouting service spotlight on it as the NA kids do. Thus guys like Shak are underrated. We saw it with Bratt, and somehow he fell to the 6th, but as I've noted a bunch of times, if you look at Bratt's resume, it was on the level of certain 1st round picks of that year(Nylander).

Shakir was the same.

I think the high level Euro/Russian guys are well known, but there are a ton of lesser known guys who could be had a great value throughout the draft. Shakir may not have been a "value" pick per say, but he was worthy of the selection.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Depending on how Mukh does this season and whether he comes over in the next season (I’m confident he will), he could very well be our own Moritz Seider. No one is saying that guy was a teach anymore.
I don’t know if I ‘d use Seider as a comparable since 1) he’s had absolute monster season in the SHL last year to raise his stock sky high and 2) They’re also different kinds of players, as Seider is was known for his defense and then started producing offensively and 3) Detroit fans see him as the second coming of JC himself (Seriously, if you if made this comparison on the main board you would never hear the end of it from Detroit fans. Oh boy, they love their German lad.)

Muk would need to take a really big step forward this season for that, but it’s harder to prove improvements on the defensive end, unlike an impressive uptick in offensive production. I’m just hoping for a lot of ice time and hopefully good things will happen.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Im rooting for him and hope he continues to develop .
He got crapped on way too much during the last WJC . Not many Devils fan did , but rather know -it -all armchair scouts kept dumping on the kid and picking apart his game during the tournament. I’m so glad he is looking good and hope he shuts a lot of those people up.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I don’t know if I ‘d use Seider as a comparable since 1) he’s had absolute monster season in the SHL last year to raise his stock sky high and 2) They’re also different kinds of players, as Seider is was known for his defense and then started producing offensively and 3) Detroit fans see him as the second coming of JC himself (Seriously, if you if made this comparison on the main board you would never hear the end of it from Detroit fans. Oh boy, they love their German lad.)

Muk would need to take a really big step forward this season for that, but it’s harder to prove improvements on the defensive end, unlike an impressive uptick in offensive production. I’m just hoping for a lot of ice time and hopefully good things will happen.
I think he meant that when Seider was selected 6th he was seen as a huge reach, as Muk is seen for us. I don’t think he was comparing Muk to Seider, but how the selection was perceived. Seider is, after all, probably the best defensive prospect currently.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Im rooting for him and hope he continues to develop .
He got crapped on way too much during the last WJC . Not many Devils fan did , but rather know -it -all armchair scouts kept dumping on the kid and picking apart his game during the tournament. I’m so glad he is looking good and hope he shuts a lot of those people up.
He was pretty good on the last wjc. There were one scout who voted that he was bad on the tournament. If you did watch those games, you will not say crap about him.
I think it really comes down to Russia (and Europe for that matter) not having the same scouting service spotlight on it as the NA kids do. Thus guys like Shak are underrated. We saw it with Bratt, and somehow he fell to the 6th, but as I've noted a bunch of times, if you look at Bratt's resume, it was on the level of certain 1st round picks of that year(Nylander).

Shakir was the same.

I think the high level Euro/Russian guys are well known, but there are a ton of lesser known guys who could be had a great value throughout the draft. Shakir may not have been a "value" pick per say, but he was worthy of the selection.
If he was NA player Shawn O’Mullen no one didn’t ask about why you draft in first round big good skating defenseman with the shot and good first pass with issues about his puck decisions under pressure when he played in KHL.
its ok, everybody understand why, but this is how good euro player drops in draft every year.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

When you think about it, it's pretty amazing that the two best defensemen in the world (Seider and Lundqvist) haven't played in the NHL yet.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I think he meant that when Seider was selected 6th he was seen as a huge reach, as Muk is seen for us. I don’t think he was comparing Muk to Seider, but how the selection was perceived. Seider is, after all, probably the best defensive prospect currently.

Yeah, not really comparable at all. Shak had a decent season last year and a nice tournament in August, but people really need to pump the breaks with the Seider talk and the runaway hype train. Mukhamadullin has the tools to be a good top 4 defenseman, but let him develop without pumping his tires unnecessarily. He's a long way away.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yeah, not really comparable at all. Shak had a decent season last year and a nice tournament in August, but people really need to pump the breaks with the Seider talk and the runaway hype train. Mukhamadullin has the tools to be a good top 4 defenseman, but let him develop without pumping his tires unnecessarily. He's a long way away.
But... But... This hype train HAS no brakes :(

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just to be clear, I understood what he meant and it was a perfectly innocent, benign comment and if this was the main boards this thread would become an endless stream of Red Wings fans scream-posting at him for having the chutzpah!, the gall!, the audacity!, etc to compare such a lowly player to The Greatest Defenseman Not Currently Playing In The NHL ™️

I’m sort of kidding (and not). It’s not meant as a slight to Seider either, who is a fantastic prospect (and currently very much a top one) but they do not respond well to comparisons, which has led to amusing (and lengthy) dust-ups with Rangers fans over exactly how not as good Nils Lundkvist is.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It`s too early to compare Shaq and Seider. Shaq will probably match his pick(may not), he still has something to deal with. Seider is one of the best\may be best prospects outside of the NHL.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Dos cervezas frias, por favor.
og_og_1489173249224492698.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad