World Cup: SF: France vs. Belgium, 7/10/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think Meunier out might be a massive blow for Belgium. I think the guy is very underrated, and when on, he's an absolute force - defensively, offensively, in the air, etc.

Either way, I think it's a 50/50 game, and I don't really know who I'll be rooting for tbh,

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Meunier a force defensively? Granted - he was less of a problem against Brazil than usual, but he would be the one I would target if I was France - more so than Chadli who is not a full back.

It will be a problem for Belgium though. Not because Meunier is so good, but because whoever else playing will be that bad. Chadli is the lesser evil in such a role compared to Carassco, but there is no-one to cover for Meunier when Chadli is already in play. Using Carassco will not end well.

Personally I would have played Vertonghen as a left wingback and Chadli on the right. Not ideal, but I don't see any other way.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Personally I think he is very poor. Don't see a line-up where he makes Belgium stronger - even if Carassco has disappointed (I'm assuming they expected more from him).

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Meunier a force defensively? Granted - he was less of a problem against Brazil than usual, but he would be the one I would target if I was France - more so than Chadli who is not a full back.

You have half your answer in your own post. Chadli didn't play full back vs Brazil, he was basically a cross between a LM and a left winger.
I don't think Martinez is the world's greatest tactical mastermind, but I love what he did there.
Offensively, it's a 3-4-3, or 3-4-2-1, with Witsel and Fellaini as double pivot and Chadli and Meunier as full backs.
But here's the catch... Defensively, they transform into sort of a 4-5-1, Vertonghen moves into LB position, Meunier goes down to RB position and they rotate accordingly. Chadli takes a more central role in the defensive formation, like a LM/LW would do as opposed to a LWB.

This is with my elite photoshop, or should I say Paint, skills, but it shows how they transformed defensively.

4lrtkn.jpg

r6yfs1.jpg

4qsis9.jpg

nKLXbo

Reactions: YNWA14

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sorry Evilo, but I've gotta root for Belgium here just in case England beats Croatia. Farage's face when they get beat by a country that doesn't exist would just be too good :biglaugh:

...if only Juncker were Belgian...

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I think Meunier out might be a massive blow for Belgium. I think the guy is very underrated, and when on, he's an absolute force - defensively, offensively, in the air, etc.

Either way, I think it's a 50/50 game, and I don't really know who I'll be rooting for tbh,
That's the thing, though. He's never really been on this tournament. At least from what I've seen.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Not sure why Jordan Lukaku didn't make the team in the first place.

He's just not very good, and tbf not very smart either. I would definitely not want him out there when you're playing a Brazil, or a France.

But here's the catch... Defensively, they transform into sort of a 4-5-1, Vertonghen moves into LB position, Meunier goes down to RB position and they rotate accordingly. Chadli takes a more central role in the defensive formation, like a LM/LW would do as opposed to a LWB.

Adding to that, with Chadli taking a more central role it gave Fellaini the opportunity to move to the right side and play almost as a second RB to help Meunier. In most defensive possessions, Fellaini covered Neymar (and did so in brilliant fashion I might add) which in turn gave Meunier the opportunity to cover Marcelo. That was a brilliant move from Martinez because as you guys said, Meunier just isn't good enough defensively to cover that flank by himself.

Anyway. Already getting nervous for tonight's game :D

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
For as long as I can remember, the team who knocks Brazil out of the World cup either wins the tournament or loses in the final.

France in 1986 would be the exception here, they bowed out meekly to Germany after knocking out Brazil in the quarters, but other than that, it stands all the way to 1974.

1974 - Knocked out in the 2nd round of group matches to the Dutch who lose in the final
1978 - Knocked out in the 2nd round of group matches on goal differential by Argentina who win the tournament
1982 - Knocked out in the 2nd round of group matches by Italy who win the tournament
1986 - Outlier
1990 - Knocked out by Argentina who lose in the final
1994 - Win the tournament
1998 - Lose to France in the final
2002 - Win the tournament
2006 - Knocked out by France who lose in the final
2010 - Knocked out by the Dutch who lose in the final
2014 - Knocked out by Germany who wins the tournament
2018 - Knocked out by Belgium who...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There's not much to say about this match in advance. It's like when Real play Barca or when Chelsea play Man United. On paper both teams are strong, and the dynamic of the match itself will decide the outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00