World Cup: SF: France vs. Belgium, 7/10/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Milan with Sacchi and Parma/Scala should be more than enough to refute the stereotype as well as the National Team coached by Sacchi. However, I do not see any harm in having a certain identity, especially if you check the results obtained. Among other things it is not written anywhere that a deftly conscious game is more difficult to interpret than an offensive game.

A player like Mbappè is devastating already of his, frankly uncontrollable when he starts from afar. Anyone would set a type of game that marries these characteristics and even more if I look at those who have available in midfield. All this regardless from the fact that they can hurt you in every occasion as we saw in the semifinal. Should they lose in the final we would say that they played badly in the 2018WC?

We're just going to have philosophical differences about this because I hated Sacchi's 'destroy the game & let our superior star-power decide the match' style despite the dominance of his Milan in the late 80s/early 90s :laugh:...an oversimplification, I know, but that was the element of his style that I found disappointing even if it made a lot more sense before the offsides & backpass rules were changed, as well as the shift in how fouls are called.

But I'm a fan of a small team who will never have the wealth to qualify for the CL, and our identity is wrapped up in not selling out, embracing progress football, and an anti-authority ethos that stems back to our rivalry with the Stazi-supported BFC Dynamo back in the DDR.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I dont disagree with the sentiment, but winning trumps all. When people talk of the 1954 World Cup, Germany isn’t remembered less than Hungary. No one will ever say - “ya, well they got 4 stars, but weren’t the best in 1954”.

I guess my name is no one.

Reactions: cgf and koyvoo

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I guess my name is no one.

To be clear, I’m not trying to say that Germany not being the best team in that tournament won’t be a narrative. It will. I just think it won’t be as memorable as the fact that Germany won the tournament.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think you can simplify that particular argument. Ignore what football journalists write about the greatness of your team and all that. It's a simple reality here that German fans alive in 1954 and/or 1974 got a memory to cherish a lifetime, while Hungarian and Dutch fans got a disappointment to bitterly argue about for a lifetime. At the end of the day, winning feels good, losing doesn't.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think you can simplify that particular argument. Ignore what football journalists write about the greatness of your team and all that. It's a simple reality here that German fans alive in 1954 and/or 1974 got a memory to cherish a lifetime, while Hungarian and Dutch fans got a disappointment to bitterly argue about for a lifetime. At the end of the day, winning feels good, losing doesn't.

Which is why I have said from the start that I get why french fans won't care how they play...but most people aren't German, Dutch or Hungarian so were impacted differently by the summer of 54...I don't like including 74 because we actually did play beautiful football for most of the tourney, before we had to grind out the final.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Which is why I have said from the start that I get why french fans won't care how they play.

This being a hockey board, I remember the NJ Devils in their hey-day's of Jacques Lemaire's trap; they would be clinging to 1-0 leads and the entire arena was shouting "de-fence de-fence de-fence" for the last 5 minutes while New Jersey were icing the puck over and over. It was ghastly for us neutrals but they sure as hell were loving it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And France doesn't play like that at all.

It's crazy to think that because they don't have possession people think they play 100% defense. They play counter football.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And France doesn't play like that at all.

It's crazy to think that because they don't have possession people think they play 100% defense. They play counter football.

Have I agreed with any of those anti-football accusations? No, my gripe is that they're playing exclusively on the counter.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As the group stage has shown, this french team isn't very good at keeping the ball (and creating with it).

Which to me is an indictment of the coaching & squad selection. I mean would you expect them to excel in possession when starting Matuidi over Rabiot, etc.? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad