Euro: SF: England v Denmark, 7/7/2021 (Part 2)

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
If I were an England fan, I would hate to advance like this. If they end up winning the thing, it will forever be remembered as the Sterling diving cup, just like that infamous goal in 1966, that supposedly wasnt there. Or our missed qualification in 1992.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don’t think anyone is blaming Sterling. I know I’m not. He does what all players would do. This is 100% on the ref and VAR. people mostly calling out the English because they historically complain about other nations diving.
People would complain about any team cheating their way to the final.
But :
1/ England, and especially english papers, fans and pundits whine all day about other nations diving/cheating, etc...
2/ Sterling is a common offender
3/ Kane dove all game and has dove throughout the tournament like crazy (usual standards though).

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
If I were an England fan, I would hate to advance like this. If they end up winning the thing, it will forever be remembered as the Sterling diving cup, just like that infamous goal in 1966, that supposedly wasnt there. Or our missed qualification in 1992.

Trust me, we don't hate it. We'll take it.

Penalty shootout misery, hand of god, Lampard no goal in 2010, Beckham sent off against Argentina, Gazza missing by millimetres in extra time and most recently getting beat by Croatia in a World Cup Semi Final.

All we've ever known is heartache.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
That's my point, it really isn't. You're talking about a 3hr difference in flight time. These guys aren't flying middle seat with Spirit Airlines. It's for me not a relevant issue and people always overstate the effect of travel in every sport.

If you want to complain about England playing almost all games at home, have at it, but that's a separate issue.
Sorry this is more than 3 hours there and back. In addition flight Copenhagen - St. Petersburg and Copenhagen to Amsterdam. ;) England has an easy way! Very easy UEFA support.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
To refresh your memory:

It's no more a penalty than last night. Whenever they've asked the German players about this in interviews, they smirk and try to evade..because everyone knows it was a dive. But no-one in Germany gave a damn then, no-one gives a damn now. I watched it live, and there was the widespread perception that Argentina were trying to cheat their way to the World Cup (their SF win over Italy was already seen as an injustice), so beating them by any means was absolutely fair play.

In reality, Sterling did what I've seen players of every nationality do in those situations. Even in this tournament. Also hardly surprising that the English would accept the gift and try to ignore the fact it was a dive (again behavior you can see from fans of all teams, there's always an excuse/rationalization for your own dives, never for the other team). Also hardly shocking the English would be triumphant and overjoyed after reaching their 1st final in 50+ years. It's almost as predictable as the fact that all the folks who don't like the English are now 'so bitter they must eat so many lemons" to paraphrase an English pop song from about 10 years ago.

But the big difference to that time is? Yes the VAR! Why we have this? Don t forget the second ball.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

These tournaments don't come around every year, you don't get too many cracks at it with each core of players. Teams can win or lose by the slightest of unfair margins at times.

England's one of my least favorite teams in football but their fans need not make a single apology because unless they're a current bandwagoner they've already suffered plenty.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
But the big difference to that time is? Yes the VAR! Why we have this? Don t forget the second ball.

The funny thing is that it's quite obvious that the 2nd ball was totally irrelevant to the situation because none of the Danes even made a point of it. The defenders were far too focused on Sterling to even notice the 2nd ball. If they had stopped playing right there and pointed at the 2nd ball, the ref would have had no choice but to whistle the play dead. Of course, the ref should have noticed either way, but that's on the ref not England.

But you're misunderstanding me. I'm not defending the referee or VAR here. Trust me, my heart sank when I saw it happen during the game yesterday. In fact, I stopped posting here because I soon thereafter switched off the match in disgust. My whole argument here is that I don't blame the English for taking it and for being happy they made the Final. It's no reason to say "that's why no-one likes the English" or other embittered, resentful stuff.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This is what a Danish newspaper correspondent in London wrote: "Let the English party. They have nothing else. And rejoice instead that you have woken up in Denmark today." I mean jeeze..that's the kind of thing you might put into a late night Whatsapp message to a buddy, but to submit that for publication? If an English writer wrote something like that, they'd call it an example of the "ugly Englishman" and English jingoism.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
This is what a Danish newspaper correspondent in London wrote: "Let the English party. They have nothing else. And rejoice instead that you have woken up in Denmark today." I mean jeeze..that's the kind of thing you might put into a late night Whatsapp message to a buddy, but to submit that for publication? If an English writer wrote something like that, they'd call it an example of the "ugly Englishman" and English jingoism.

Yup. People dump all over the English media, much of which is deserved, but that is a 11 out of 10 on the salty sore losers scale and quite frankly pathetic. Denmark is better than that.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Something I took out from this eurocopa is that I don't think I've seen at this level a midfielder as slow as Christian Norgaard on the Danes. Does he always play like that or did he have a knock or something?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The funny thing is that it's quite obvious that the 2nd ball was totally irrelevant to the situation because none of the Danes even made a point of it. The defenders were far too focused on Sterling to even notice the 2nd ball. If they had stopped playing right there and pointed at the 2nd ball, the ref would have had no choice but to whistle the play dead. Of course, the ref should have noticed either way, but that's on the ref not England.

But you're misunderstanding me. I'm not defending the referee or VAR here. Trust me, my heart sank when I saw it happen during the game yesterday. In fact, I stopped posting here because I soon thereafter switched off the match in disgust. My whole argument here is that I don't blame the English for taking it and for being happy they made the Final. It's no reason to say "that's why no-one likes the English" or other embittered, resentful stuff.
Yes, both Hoejbjerg and the coach made a point of it.
Ofc. the defenders trying to stop Sterling aren’t going to just stop running.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Damn that Danish free kick goal was nice.

England naturally equalized on an ugly own goal. They should have ended the game right there and then on style points regarding the goals.

I bet 45% of all the goals in this tournaments have been own goals.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Something I took out from this eurocopa is that I don't think I've seen at this level a midfielder as slow as Christian Norgaard on the Danes. Does he always play like that or did he have a knock or something?
He hasn’t played that much tbh, and was one of a few weird panick subs by Hjulmand.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

Please, stop using Google translate. That sentence doesnt make any sense. Instead link what you saw, I will happily translate and get rid of any missed meaning.

People in here are not critizising England fans for supporting there team. They are critizising them for the double standards that applies when its their own team vs someone else. Its like they think England is entitled to the title because they have been "cursed" since 1966. Beckham lost it and received a red card or Gazza almost scoring or whatever. Every country has their own stories and incidents that will stand alone in their history. Belgium has been in at least two WC semifinals and never got past that. Italy lost how many semifinals? I remember a clear non off side in the 1990 WC that in the end send out Italy to Argentina. A small country like Denmark lost 2 semifinals in the euroes, Sweden lost a WC final in the 50's, etc etc. England are not the only ones that faces tough times.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It's an opinion piece. It's disgusting that it got on the site, but it isn't the official view of the paper or proper journalistic work.
Most news here in Denmark are praising the boys, even the more "funny" ones. Please don't get mislead by some asshat who drunkenly submitted a shitty column to a right wing paper yesterday.

The mail are just fanning the fire here, and you are gulping it up, without the proper source to boot.

It isn’t even an op that you can read without subscribing to said right wing paper.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The last thing I have to say about this - Is the player who injured Matthias Jensen should have been carded.

He went studs first on Jensen, and Jensen got a massive open cut that needed immediate stitching, and he has possible broken foot.

We lost a player for a good stretch and nothing, yet we were fouled every time the wind blew over Kane.

with that said, England were better on the day, and they would have been without all this iffy stuff. (Not just in the game, also before the game)

However, I am sure the game would have been more equal for a longer time if we had a fairer game, and a more equal pre game - Yes, this is pure speculation, but so is saying England would have scored without the pk, and I feel pretty confident in saying so.

In the end tho, I don’t care if the English had, had 50sog and 90% possession, if they don’t score, they don’t score - Goalkeeping is also part of the game, so PK would imo have been the most fair outcome.

Im not as bitter as drunken me was yesterday, but it still stings.
hope we meet again under better circumstances.

And may the best team win on Sunday - I don’t really care who that is anymore.
If it happens to be England, good on you, and congrats.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad