Euro: SF: England v Denmark, 7/7/2021 (Part 2)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And what a trek that would have been for England.

It wouldn't have been a home game. I don't think the neutrals in Dublin would have been eager to support England. In any event, this obsession with travel reminds me of such complaints about the NHL playoffs and how Western teams had to travel so much vs the Eastern teams. And well you know, the complaint never really stuck. Even if there might be some legitimacy to the complaint, it always just came off as sour grapes.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's like a 3 hour difference in flight time between Baku and Rome, where England were playing. You're telling me that's the difference between the teams? Please.

It may not have been the decisive factor, but it's also not an even playing field when one team gets to play all games but one at home and others have to travel all around Europe (and beyond).

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
My opinion on the penalty..it was fairly soft, but probably no softer than what we got in the 1990 Final and where our media glosses over it by saying it was 'deserved' because we had carried play and were the better team over the course of the tournament.

1990 while maybe a make-up call there was real obstruction at least, here Sterling just took a dive. If there was marginal contact it was not what made him fall. Still giving that after VAR was inexcusable.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

member 305909

If England had lost this match it would have been a crushing disappointment for the whole country when as Denmark was much further than anybody expected them to reach.

I know it is a minority of English fans who make it very hard to wish England any success but as long as those people make themselves known that will be the case.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Neither is anywhere near the worst, the one in the GIF is more embellishment than a dive and Sterling's might have been the same but it's hard to tell even with many replays. Malouda dived in 2006 final but nobody cared because it was against Italy and people hate Italy almost as much as they hate England, lol.
Malouda clearly milked it but
1/ he was clearly touched by an italian throwing his foot to trip him
2/ VAR didn't exist at the time (nor in the Australia game mind you)
3/ Italy didn't beat Australia fairly, so people really didn't want them to win.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I have less issues with losing the game as I actually expected it. It was they way it happened that bothers me. Losing a semi final because of a bad call is very different than being outscored in open play.

As I said elsewhere, you can’t complain too much after Braithwaite’s dive against Finland. Live by the sword, you die by the sword.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Pretty apt comparison.

Loud and at times obnoxious fanbase that numbers in the millions, but they haven't done anything even remotely successful since the 60s. :laugh:
It's a very bad comparison. England have usually made at least the quarters and been a contender at many tournaments. Toronto are usually not a top team and rarely make it far in the playoffs. England are like a slightly better Tottenham or something, actually a solid, good team that never wins anything.

Reactions: 1865

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Where does this English fan arrogance opinion come from? We’re spectacularly self-deprecating and negative if anything.

Generally it comes from your spectacular arrogance as a nation, at both international and club level. Your incredible ability to turn absolutely every game into a discussion about England. Your belittling of every other country as if they don't matter. Comments about farmers and farmers leagues. Your disrespectful and overconfident media. Your willingness to turn a blind eye to things that you'd be quick to criticise other teams for when England are involved, because you're in some way morally superior to the French, Italians or Spaniards and couldn't possibly dive or embellish.

All hidden behind this false aura of negativity and "self-depreciation" that magically disappears the second the tournament starts. Bollocks.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Generally it comes from your spectacular arrogance as a nation, at both international and club level. Your incredible ability to turn absolutely every game into a discussion about England. Your belittling of every other country as if they don't matter. Comments about farmers and farmers leagues. Your disrespectful and overconfident media. Your willingness to turn a blind eye to things that you'd be quick to criticise other teams for when England are involved, because you're in some way morally superior to the French, Italians or Spaniards and couldn't possibly dive or embellish.

All hidden behind this false aura of negativity and "self-depreciation" that magically disappears the second the tournament starts. Bollocks.

Someone shit in your oats this morning mate?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
It's like a 3 hour difference in flight time between Baku and Rome, where England were playing. You're telling me that's the difference between the teams? Please.
2800 km and 9000km + England played almost all Games at home. This is a big different!

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

My word, you legitimately need to seek help about this issue with the English. None of this is true except for the part about the media. The tabloid papers are a constant source of embarrassment but they don’t speak for the nation.

We’re a politically arrogant and stupid country but this doesn’t translate to football. Every tournament is met with cautious optimism (that grows to rabid excitement when we start to do well) but every single English fan knows it never ends positively and that’s the difference between excitement and a little bit of confidence against the arrogance you claim it is. No Englishman actually thinks we’re going to win it.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Inghilterra%20Danimarca%20due%20palloni-kw2H-U32701839840040o6H-656x492@Corriere-Web-Sezioni.JPG

two seconds before the penalty awarded lol.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
For the optically challenged. Two clear albeit light contacts. Maehle's knee on Sterling's knee then Jensen's hip. That's why it wasn't overturned.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
My word, you legitimately need to seek help about this issue with the English. None of this is true except for the part about the media. The tabloid papers are a constant source of embarrassment but they don’t speak for the nation.

We’re a politically arrogant and stupid country but this doesn’t translate to football. Every tournament is met with cautious optimism (that grows to rabid excitement when we start to do well) but every single English fan knows it never ends positively and that’s the difference between excitement and a little bit of confidence against the arrogance you claim it is. No Englishman actually thinks we’re going to win it.

*English football fans. I'd take your point if it were also an issue in other sports, but it largely isn't. Not to the same extent anyway. It's a football issue and that's in large part due to the fans as well as the media.

Take rugby for example. You have the same media hysteria around England at the WC / 6N but most fans are humble in victory and respectful in defeat. I'm indifferent to the rugby sides as there just isn't the same in your face attitude around them, and, Eddie Jones aside, I genuinely like some of their players and enjoy watching them. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I want them to win the WC, but it's nothing like the football.

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
Most English youtubers have been humble and respectful towards their opponents and opponents' fan. Thogden especially like to chat with the opponents' fans. It's a big tournament so it's normal for people to be overly excited which can be misinterpreted as arrogance but it's not.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Most English youtubers have been humble and respectful towards their opponents and opponents' fan. Thogden especially like to chat with the opponents' fans. It's a big tournament so it's normal for people to be overly excited which can be misinterpreted as arrogance but it's not.

Thogden is a class act. He's been up to Scotland a few times, always makes good videos. I'd have loved to do that with my dad at that age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad