World Cup: SF: Croatia vs. England, 7/11/2018

Who will play in a World Cup Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Modric and Rakitic are going to boss England around. England has no one like a Luka Modric type player. I could see it being like Pirlo in that 120 minutes he destroyed them. What the score finishes as though I have no idea. Hopefully no PKs again.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I give England the slight edge in this one. Croatia have better players at some really important positions but England have more depth overall and that matters in the late stages of a tournament. Also while Croatia are more fluid they are not the healthy, well-rested version we saw earlier in the WC. England aren't great either, but someone has to win in the end :P

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
England haven't really been able to use their speed. I dunno wtf it is, the formation is set up perfectly for counters but there's something off about the instructions and they don't seem to get it done frequently enough in terms of moving the ball up the field quickly and getting a shot. Croatia are not a fast side and this factored in with the fatigue means that England could expose it, it's just that I don't think that England have the know-how with this coach to expose it.

And when it comes to a more slower game or a dead-ball game, I'd favour Croatia over them.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Can't believe I was watching Luka Modric back in WC 2006 and he's still playing. He hasn't aged at all. Literally same face as in 2006.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Get that to ****. I ****ing hate the English and would be about as happy seeing them lose a World Cup final as I would Scotland winning one. Or maybe just this one in particular.

I don't have a memory any more and I have a curious ability to forget just about anything about a sporting event I've seen. I couldn't tell you a thing about any European Championships in my life. World Cups the same, mostly, aside from finals and especially memorable moments. There are a few things which persist in the memory, however.

I remember Ronaldinho chipping David Seaman from forty yards.
I remember Zidane vomiting on the penalty spot then scoring.
Then scoring a free kick two minutes later.
I remember the Portuguese beating them on penalties.
I remember the Portuguese beating them on penalties.
I remember the advert for Borat popping up on the (then new) electronic advertising boards when Paul Robinson decided to let the ball go straight through him.
I remember being in a pub for the Slovenia game and them thinking this meant their tournament was on track.
I remember Ian Wright declaring England will SMASH Germany, smash them as soon as the group was over.
I remember Neuer's face mirroring the world, knowing that ball had crossed the line and not carrying.
I remember no introspection for being put out the World Cup by Germany on a given goal which didn't cross the line.
I remember Pirlo ripping the utter pish for 120 minutes then hitting a Panenka, because who else would?
I remember watching Harry Kane take corners.
I remember Alan Shearer crying, and me offering more insight into their problems in a post on here than he's done in his life.

Now, I've known a few English people in my time in various ways. I'll probably be at work with one on Monday. I technically am related to several of them. One in particular who I'll never see again has a piece of my heart and doesn't know this. Stray Wasp posts on here and is about the closest anywhere on HF comes to universal acclaim, even if he's been getting a bit over-excited as the rounds have passed. That's not his fault though, it's the team's for not doing the done thing and exiting.

Aside from all of those things, this tournament has been unlike any other I've experienced because there's been no certainty. Usually you know within five minutes of England's first game when they're going out but here, there's nothing. And until I know they're not going to win, there's no enjoyment for me. There are several good options available - a country with a smaller population than Scotland beats them, a country managed by Roberto Martinez beats them or the French beat them - but until they do, there's a nagging doubt about it I've never experienced before. Until I can experience the usual comedown from the English media I'm unable to avoid consuming, the irregular fervour we've experienced just grates. It can't be tuned out like normal.

So until that natural order restores itself I refer you to my opening line. Although if Queen Nic wishes to meet the Croatian president and beg her to teach us how to produce footballers she can hold on to the trophy all she wants. She may as well. We'll run out of room for stars above the badge in her lifetime. The national team will make Auchinleck Talbot look constrained by comparison.

Difference this time round is that when we get eliminated literally nothing anyone says to try and "mock" us will matter. A World Cup Semi-Final. Get the f*** in. This been an amazing tournament for us and I just hope it carries on with two more wins, I don't think it will though.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yes, the extra 60+ minutes of soccer should have an effect on them, no doubt.

Also, the emotional toll can take a lot out of you.
I believe it's more the emotion than on the body. Football is tough but 60 minutes is not all that much. But I could see a mental toll it takes.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Normally, I'd look to each team's midfield for an indication of the likely eventual result, and that would mean Croatia wins.

But the 2018 World Cup isn't normal.

This version of England isn't that distinguished in terms of individual quality or collective style, but they're organised, more calm and conspicuously less stupid than most of the country's teams since 1996. Croatia, by contrast, seems a little frayed around the edges- and we must wait and see whether they suffered any decisive injuries last night.

Kieran Trippier is pretty much in a state of grace in terms of set-piece deliveries, and when a team like Sweden bungles its marking to allow a goal you begin to wonder where it all ends. And thanks to a header from a free kick the Croats landed an extra half hour's work as recently as last night.

Croatia would be a better team if they could swap Harry Kane for Mandzukic. I'd rather have Subasic (if healthy) in goal than Pickford. Neither team strikes me as having too many options off the bench.

Ultimately, my instinct is that whereas England can't play much better than they have so far, Croatia can- and it feels wrong that Modric should depart the World Cup with a whimper. Though England's 3-5-2 formation hasn't worked badly, yesterday we saw a couple of instances where suddenly they were caught 3 v 3 at the back, with the midfield cut adrift. I can imagine the Croats will be able to pass between their lines.

Whatever, this seems like the playoff for the right to lose the final.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
By the way, I assume Kalinic would officially be a World Cup winner if Croatia were to win the title, right?

So, what's the future like for Croatia after the World Cup? I assume Dalic stays no matter happens in the next two games, but is there a major rebuilding ahead, because many of the major players are in their thirties now? As Dalic really wasn't on the world media manager radar before the Croatia gig, is he suited for that? I'd guess so, since he was with the youth national teams earlier in his career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Croatia have the talent & the depth, but if they are emotionally drained and continue to play down to their opposition, England has a shot

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I agree that Croatia has more quality and probably should win. As a group, they’re much more seasoned than their opponents too. But to me, they’ve looked drained since the end of the group stage. Croatia is a team that I, like many would’ve listed them in the tier just under the big 4 favourites coming in and with that in mind, I’ve been disappointed with their execution in general vs Denmark and then vs Russia.

It can be argued that England haven’t been tested, or had an easy path, but at this point, with the confidence they feel, and the fact that it’s two one off games away, the dreaming of glory is actually justified.

I do feel Croatia’s mental and physical fitness and whether or not they’ll be able to fully recover will play a big part.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
England has Kane, but no one to pass him the f***ing ball. How good would Shelvey look passing the ball from the midfield? When are they going to stop playing that useless twerp Stirling, and stick in their second best player, Vardy(I know, the groin)?

Modric is great. Rakitic less so. Croatia is better in possesion, but England has an advantage on set pieces...again, if Vardy plays, he provides another world class breakaway threat.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Croatia looked physically drained in that game against Russia and they are battling some injury problems. If they are healthy I think they take this one, but if not it will be England as the difference in quality between the two teams isn't much.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
England has Kane, but no one to pass him the ****ing ball. How good would Shelvey look passing the ball from the midfield? When are they going to stop playing that useless twerp Stirling, and stick in their second best player, Vardy(I know, the groin)?

Modric is great. Rakitic less so. Croatia is better in possesion, but England has an advantage on set pieces...again, if Vardy plays, he provides another world class breakaway threat.

Um

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I didn't think England's complete lack of a midfield could be made worse, but adding Baldemort to it might accomplish the feat.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
England haven't really been able to use their speed. I dunno wtf it is, the formation is set up perfectly for counters but there's something off about the instructions and they don't seem to get it done frequently enough in terms of moving the ball up the field quickly and getting a sho

They have not played many games where they could not control the play. They are set up to soak up pressure but can just keep the ball against the likes of Panama, Sweden, Tunisia, etc. England will likely have more opportunity to soak up and counter in the coming two games.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
How good would Shelvey look passing the ball from the midfield?

On one of Shelvey good days, he'd look good. On one of his bad days, he'd be worth a counter attack to the Croatians roughly every fifth minute and he'd likely take out his frustration by getting a stupid red. I thoroughly understand why Southgate didn't include such an all-or-nothing figure his squad, and I think the absence of such players has been one of the keys to England's progress so far. Since I rate Rakitic higher than you do, and match your admiration of Modric, I'd consider playing Shelvey against them dicing with death.

And though I can't defend Sterling's profligacy, to my eyes it was plain his speed worried the Swedish defence once England had a lead. While I could see the logic in selecting a fully-fit Vardy, he'd be far more likely to contribute as a finisher than a provider for Kane.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
I don't think Croatias mental state will be questioned. They will be ready to go.

Physically maybe more tired but these guys have access to the best treatment available. They'll be ready.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I remember...

But you don't remember Paul Gascoigne chipping the ball over Colin Hendry or Archie Gemmill scoring against Holland?

Talking about little brother complex, the one we have towards Sweden is certainly nothing compared to the grudge you seem to bear against England. We root for Sweden in football here in Finland.

It's a 50/50 game on paper.

Actually according to the odds it's 58/42 England, and there isn't a better metric for these matches.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I have absolutely no idea who's going to win this. For me it's 50/50. Either Croatia gets Kaned or England gets Mandzukiced or Modriced. A shootout wouldn't suprise me..

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
But you don't remember Paul Gascoigne chipping the ball over Colin Hendry or Archie Gemmill scoring against Holland?

Talking about little brother complex, the one we have towards Sweden is certainly nothing compared to the grudge you seem to bear against England. We root for Sweden in football here in Finland.
Considering I was 4 and -22 respectively on these occasions, no I don't remember them.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Considering I was 4 and -22 respectively on these occasions, no I don't remember them.
I have no idea how Gazza is remembered in the UK today. For as a German he is one of your alltime greats. I read awhile ago he's a heavy drinker. That's sad, but Georgie Best was a heavy drinker, too. (yeah I know, he wasn't English).

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
By the way, I assume Kalinic would officially be a World Cup winner if Croatia were to win the title, right?

So, what's the future like for Croatia after the World Cup?

Modric looks like he still has 2 years left in him at the very top level, Rakitic is 30, good for another 2 years at least.
Brozovic, Rebic, Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Kovacic, Brozovic, Perisic, Kramaric, Badelj all got at least 2 years, and most should be good until 2022 as well - basically the only player that people thinks needs "replacing" is Modric (based on age).
He's still basically bossing it (Modric), playing like the best midfielder in the world. Subasic is 33, but if he does go, Kalinic is nearly as good.
Mandzukic will start to fall off soon, but there's no real replacement lined up, especially with Pjaca suffering a serious set back after the injury.

Unless someone voluntarily retires, this group should be around for the next EURO.
I just hope Modric sticks around regardless of these last two games, it's a privilege to watch him play.
He's the Roger Federer of midfield players, there's beauty in the simplest of his passes and turns, purpose and calmness...
I'm biased when it comes to him, but I truly believe he's the most complete midfielder in the last 30 years - and yes, possibly the best (though if someone picks Xavi or Iniesta, one can hardly object).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad