News Article: "Seven Canucks On Thin Ice" A Training Camp Preview

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There’s 9 forwards competing for 3/4 forward spots depending on whether they carry 13/14 forwards to start the year.

Gagner, granny, gaunce, gaudette, goldy, leipsic, archibald, motte, dahlen are all in the mix.

Locked in are BO, Brock, Bear, Schaller, Beagle, Roussel, Virtanen, Petterson, Sutter, Eriksson. I say petterson is likely a lock given his play last year plus they need they boast inPR. Jake is benning a first draft pick so he’ll get another shot. And Loui, it’s the contract that keeps him here rather than being in the same boat as Gagner.

Biega likely could clear waivers. Juolevi, I suspect with the back injury and loss of training time starts in the ahl, which would slow the Canucks to keep 14 F to start.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Maybe on a rebuilding team in Vancouver, but by NHL standards? I don’t think so. Both men are average to slightly below average 4th liners....both of which would even be 13th calibre forwards on a good team.

I think it’s high time that we stop *only* using advanced analytics to make our decisions for us........or stop repeating in parrot fashion what *alpha* poster MS is saying on here.
It’s based off what I’ve seen with my own 2 eyes...

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Great point about Motte.

If you noticed however, I was one of the few guys that regularly mentioned him in the line up combination thread.

My hope is that Motte eats out Gagner and Granlund and earns that 4th line RW spot.

My hope is that Schaller-Beagle-Motte becomes our 4th line.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leipsic-Pettersson-Virtanen
Roussel-Sutter-Eriksson
Schaller-Beagle-Motte

If Gaudette has a good camp and is ready, then bye bye Loui Eriksson or perhaps even Sutter (I’d keep Sutter personally).

You meant 'eks out', right??

Attachments

• crispen.jpg
    crispen.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Incorrect.

Have you actually watched him play? He’s not as physical as Archibald and not as good defensively as Gaunce.

Schaller scored 12 goals last season and had 10 assists. Even if Gaunce is a little better defensively, Schaller is MUCH better offensively. Schaller is also an NHL calibre player. Archibald? Not so much.......even though I love the guy.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Schaller scored 12 goals last season and had 10 assists. Even if Gaunce is a little better defensively, Schaller is MUCH better offensively. Schaller is also an NHL calibre player. Archibald? Not so much.......even though I love the guy.
Schaller got those points because he played in more offensive situations on a higher scoring team than Gaunce.

I bet Gaunce could put up 20 points too on the Bruins if he didn’t have to take as many d zone faceoffs as he did last year.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
What a waste of roster space that could go to younger, more talented players Gagner, Granlund, Eriksson are. Schaller seems more of the same.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What a waste of roster space that could go to younger, more talented players Gagner, Granlund, Eriksson are. Schaller seems more of the same.

If some of our younger guys (Dahlen, Goldobin, Leipsic) have a great preseason and beat those guys out, then those guys that you mentioned will be moved.......and true Hinduism can be achieved.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Can’t shake this feeling that Goldobin, Gagner and/or Hutton are going to be moved in short order.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Can’t shake this feeling that Goldobin, Gagner and/or Hutton are going to be moved in short order.
Goldobin's still just 22 years old. I think we should keep him around for a little while longer. Could really be something for us.

Hutton intrigues me, but the shine of his rookie year has really worn off. I heard he got a lot stronger in the offseason. But that gaffe against the Oilers last night was symptomatic of the same recurring issues. I think this could be his last year to prove something before we give up on him. I mean, who knows. He's still young as well. That might give Benning enough pause in regards to moving him.

If Benning can find any takers for Sam Gagner, he is officially playing 4D chess with the NHL GMs.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Agree with you on Hutton and Gagner, but I think management will keep Goldobin. Based on how he’s played so far, I think he earns a top 6 spot this year. I think he’ll play on a line with Eriksson and Pettersson.

I think Hutton might be gone though. Hutton looks better physically, but his game still looks a bit meh to me. It’s still early obviously, but I also think Hutton will be moved. Juolevi will play alongside Tanev, while Gudbranson gets Edler. Del Zotto with Poo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad