Proposal: Seth Jones?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Just an idea...we have the cap currently and Seth Jones will potentially be a UFA in the near future. He has one more full year. Assuming he would waive/allow himself to be dealt to LA...

We could deal a package based around our 1st rounder this year and maybe one of our non-Doughty RHDs to Columbus for his final year and work on a deal to re-sign him longterm.

Now I know the position we're looking for is a dynamic LHD and Jones is a dynamic RHD. But, here are the reasons:

1) Between Roy and Walker, both are decent, neither is special. Roy is not really dynamic. Signing Jones and maybe dealing Walker would give us another pairing with a dynamic defenseman to anchor it and having either Walker or Roy be the third pair guy, which would be solid slotting.

2) I know the position we "need" is a dynamic LHD. We have a couple that maybe could develop if given the opportunity. But if we have both Doughty and Jones as their partners, maybe instead of trying to draft a non-elite LHD with our 8th pick, we instead develop them like we did with Muzzin and Martinez. Having these top NHL RHD partners would go a long way to train our current LHD prospects and shelter them. Maybe a Bjornfot, Clague or the other upcoming guys really could use a Jones, taking huge pressure off Doughty.

3) Jones is already an A in Columbus. But he's only 26. As our vet guys like Carter (already dealt), Quick, Brown, Kopitar start to retire or be too old for leading roles, Jones can easily be a good leader. Based on Lombardi's past team-building principles, having a lot of leaders on the team is a very good thing. He probably has at least 6 to 8 good years left.

4) It's Lumbus...good things happen when we raid...err, when we acquire their players.

What do you guys think? I think we have the juice to acquire and re-sign him, and maybe not have to deal our top center or wing prospects to do it.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
1. Roy is special. If he's short of 'dynamic', he's a helluva player.

If the Kings could get both Werenski and Jones, would be epic...but never have seen 2 top D go. That would take one of Anderson / Bjornfot going back, the 8th overall and 2 of: Turcotte / Kaliyev / Madden / Kupari
or more. Would prefer to just try to acquire Werenski.

Reactions: jfont

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Does Jones for one year help?
From Jones’ point of view, how are the Kings better than the Blue Jackets? Why does he sign in LA?
I am not saying he is a poor player. Jones alone does not make the Kings a contender. He is a great piece but what does he want money wise? Does it handcuff the team?
After all that I think he would be a great pickup.
Still need forwards that can score

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
If it is a sign and trade, or a trade with a phone call with Blake on tentative agreement on terms, then I am down for a trade involving our 1st this year and one of our prospects not involving Byfield or Kaliyev. Build the team from the back out. Also, we can afford to lose one of our C prospects, considering how deep we are in that position.

Another big area of need is scoring wingers. Hopefully Kaliyev pans out, but we do need a legit scorer on this team in addition to Kaliyev.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Jones is great but not the piece the Kings should blow all their trading chips to acquire since they already have a similar player in Doughty that plays the exact same position. Get someone who brings a different dynamic and plays a different position, be it a left side D-man or a forward.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
1. Roy is special. If he's short of 'dynamic', he's a helluva player.

If the Kings could get both Werenski and Jones, would be epic...but never have seen 2 top D go. That would take one of Anderson / Bjornfot going back, the 8th overall and 2 of: Turcotte / Kaliyev / Madden / Kupari
or more. Would prefer to just try to acquire Werenski.

It wouldn't take anywhere near that amount...Jones has a modified NTC where he submits 10 teams for no-trade. If he wants LA, and that's the big assumption, his agent could put all of the other contenders on the 10 team list and only leave off LA. Since he's not signed and he's upcoming UFA, it would cost much, much less. It would be up to Blake to feel out the player and agent's likelihood of signing in LA for what Blake/Anschutz could pay.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I like Jones. If the Kings can acquire him at a reasonable cost (as in, not losing Byfield, Turcotte, or Kaliyev), I'm all aboard. But what is Jones going to be asking for as a UFA and can we afford it? Is he looking for 8? 9? 10? If the plan is to trade for him and sign him long term, let's do it. Doughty and Jones eating 50 minutes per game is a real nice problem to have.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Does Jones for one year help?
From Jones’ point of view, how are the Kings better than the Blue Jackets? Why does he sign in LA?
I am not saying he is a poor player. Jones alone does not make the Kings a contender. He is a great piece but what does he want money wise? Does it handcuff the team?
After all that I think he would be a great pickup.
Still need forwards that can score

All good questions. I do feel though that dynamic RHDs help the forwards tremendously to score. The contract normally would handcuff the team but with the team losing a bunch of other big contracts, it won't/shouldn't handcuff us. It's true he himself doesn't probably make us a contender but the fact that if he re-signs, he would have many good years for us, he's not a final piece but instead he's a core piece.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Trade for him nope. If he would come here as a UFA, sure but high profile UFAs don't come here. Ever.

True but we've had great success in the past acquiring players, having them taste the LA and the LA Kings experience, and have them re-sign as UFAs here long term (Williams, Mitchell, Scuderi, plus our own home grown guys). Thus I'm proposing a trade to acquire him...if all the right factors are in place.

One of which of course is the price to Columbus...Jones has a modified NTC of 10 team no-trade list. Second is if he's interested in staying for what LA can pay. We can pay Lumbus a 4th or whatever for permission. And I don't see LA giving up much more than this year's first and maybe Sean Walker, and one non-Vilardi/Byfield/Turcotte/Kaliyev prospect. We wouldn't have anyone to compete with in bidding if we do this right.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I like Jones. If the Kings can acquire him at a reasonable cost (as in, not losing Byfield, Turcotte, or Kaliyev), I'm all aboard. But what is Jones going to be asking for as a UFA and can we afford it? Is he looking for 8? 9? 10? If the plan is to trade for him and sign him long term, let's do it. Doughty and Jones eating 50 minutes per game is a real nice problem to have.

Exactly.

And I'm thinking...first we need to convince Jones and co. to not put us on their NTC, in other words to basically say he wants to come to LA. And then Blake reaches out to the Lakers and have Lebron call Seth and his dad Popeye on convincing them LA is the place to be. Lebron left Ohio to come to LA to win...the basketball thing...amongst several other factors.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Why would CBJ trade Jones? I mean, I like him, but it takes two parties to trade right?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Like Jones, but I feel like he's not the kind of defenseman this team needs. He's very a steady defenseman, but I feel its a bit redundant with Anderson, Bjornfot and Roy already on the roster. Not saying that Jones wouldn't improve the team, but I would rather go after Werenski if we're going after a defenseman from Columbus. He brings more to this roster with his offensive presence than Jones would.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
If Jones wants to get paid why would come to the Kings and play second fiddle to DD?

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If Jones wants to get paid why would come to the Kings and play second fiddle to DD?

We could assume that or it could be that he just wants to leave/not negotiate with CBJ. He could also be making a statement as he liked Torts as a coach.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like Jones, but I wouldn't trade for him. Though, I think that line of thinking is better than trying to trade for another center. I would prefer taking their shot at him during free agency; however, I would be very concerned about the contract. Jones is a great defenseman but he isn't really THE defenseman. He isn't that crazy #1 that you can line everyone up behind like Doughty. I'd be very concerned about the contract we give him and potentially being stuck with it. However, in the end, if you have a chance to pick up Seth Jones for anything reasonable, I don't see how the Kings do not show interest...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad